SASS Wire Forum

Maybe I should have waited until morning!

Singin' Sue 71615

2 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

What are you doing? Painting? 

I feel a forth ode coming on. 

It's too cold, where you are, to paint, or...lay brick, for that matter. :D 

I am building a kitchen cabinet...at least putting it together.

And WOW!!!

That was a chore.

Took me 5 hours alone.

My back and hands will ache tomorrow, but worth it.

Only put one piece in upside down...will deal with that tomorrow!!!

And, need better handles!

By the way,I have found when these pictogram instructions recommend two people I want you to notice that there are lines coming out of the heads of the pictogram. In Europe I think that means “There’s gonna be arguments”.

C55CBADB-BFEC-4ABF-B17C-2CEB0429E08F.jpeg.fc4851c84ac57d44b30daa071404b9ab.jpeg

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Flat packs are human torture :)

Nah.  But they are a great way to separate the sheep from the goats when it comes to reading comprehension and direction following.:D

Just stay organized (so you don't spend an hour looking for that one pack of special screws), pay attention to the details (and don't get cocky by thinking for a moment that you 'know what you're doing' because that's when you'll screw it up) and, most importantly, read the instructions and take the time to study the pictures available before starting.  Oh, and stop every once in a while and break the instructions back out and review what you just did to make sure it's done right.

Unpack it, spread it out so you can see all the parts while putting like with like and, if it comes with a 'special tool', it goes in your pocket so you can't lose it (you're going to at least once anyhow, but it cuts down on the number of times).  If it's not being used, the tool goes back in your pocket.  Then, break out the instructions, read them through and figure out what goes with what.  If there's subassemblies (like drawers), group those parts together (study the pictures and pay attention to the details).  TEST FIT things together and never tighten things down until you are sure that's where they belong.  If you're dealing with self tapping screws or pre-tapped holes in particle board, the last thing you do is put in the screws because taking them out and putting them back in only wallows out the holes and weakens the whole piece.

Drills and electric screwdrivers are great tools that speed things up greatly but use caution when using them because they make it so much easier to screw something up in a hurry, too.

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Looks good! :)

Now for your next project…

image.jpeg.8f2e7dff8e353654c1ed4a9e0d01de81.jpeg

Several of the panells were not #'d (they used stickers) so it was a bit if a challenge to figure out wich was what.

I now know why one tool was a tape measure. (They put measurements of each piece beside it)

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

By the way,I have found when these pictogram instructions recommend two people I want you to notice that there are lines coming out of the heads of the pictogram. In Europe I think that means “There’s gonna be arguments”.

C55CBADB-BFEC-4ABF-B17C-2CEB0429E08F.jpeg.fc4851c84ac57d44b30daa071404b9ab.jpeg

I could have used a 'hand me that' guy!!!

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Nah.  But they are a great way to separate the sheep from the goats when it comes to reading comprehension and direction following.:D

Just stay organized (so you don't spend an hour looking for that one pack of special screws), pay attention to the details (and don't get cocky by thinking for a moment that you 'know what you're doing' because that's when you'll screw it up) and, most importantly, read the instructions and take the time to study the pictures available before starting.  Oh, and stop every once in a while and break the instructions back out and review what you just did to make sure it's done right.

Unpack it, spread it out so you can see all the parts while putting like with like and, if it comes with a 'special tool', it goes in your pocket so you can't lose it (you're going to at least once anyhow, but it cuts down on the number of times).  If it's not being used, the tool goes back in your pocket.  Then, break out the instructions, read them through and figure out what goes with what.  If there's subassemblies (like drawers), group those parts together (study the pictures and pay attention to the details).  TEST FIT things together and never tighten things down until you are sure that's where they belong.  If you're dealing with self tapping screws or pre-tapped holes in particle board, the last thing you do is put in the screws because taking them out and putting them back in only wallows out the holes and weakens the whole piece.

Drills and electric screwdrivers are great tools that speed things up greatly but use caution when using them because they make it so much easier to screw something up in a hurry, too.

I did flip-flop two pieces....so today I will drill two small holes for the 2 bottom door swings and flip flop the face board.

But other than that...I am proud of myself!!!

Our son in law helped Shanley get the box into the truck...it is an 80lb weight and Shanley's back was at a point that it would have caused him to not go hunting, to lift it by himself.

SIL asks dad " how is she going to unload this herself once she gets to the cabin?"

Dad says " I would bet she takes it out of the box 'a piece at a time'! When she wants something, she isn't going to wait on someone else!"

:wub:

Archived