SASS Wire Forum

Rugged Gear cart problem

Nickel City Dude

I have a Rugged Gear gun cart I bought several years ago and one of the back wheels has had the spokes come out of the hub.  I called RG and they want $70 + shipping for a new wheel.  Are there replacement wheels available elsewhere that are just as good and less expensive?  I have included a picture.

gun cart wheel.jpg

2 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I had to get a new wheel for mine years ago but the brake will no longer engage on the new wheel.  Good luck.

Yes, when I called them they told me that with the wheel come a new sprocket for the brake.

The plastic wheel upgrade worked for me.  Then enough of my first RG cart wore out, that I ordered a new one 3 years ago - it had the plastic wheels standard,  

Too bad they started out making those great carts with poorly made wire wheels.

good luck, GJ

In your top photo with the black button and spring clip the aftermarket wheels do not have these.  You would have to come up with an alternative way of retaining the wheels.  The axle is also around .395" which is not a common U.S. size and is actually 10mm.  I would just bite the bullet and get the wheels from Rugged Gear.

5 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

In your top photo with the black button and spring clip the aftermarket wheels do not have these.  You would have to come up with an alternative way of retaining the wheels.  The axle is also around .395" which is not a common U.S. size and is actually 10mm.  I would just bite the bullet and get the wheels from Rugged Gear.

Thanks, that is what I will probably have to do.  If I can get a price brake I may order all 3 wheels because if one went the others can't be far behind.

2 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

if one went the others can't be far behind.

That is true, they are just fabricated poorly and have limited lifetimes..

@Nickel City Dude if you need to buy replacement wheels, I have a discount code - it will save you 10%!  The new plastic wheels are a very nice (and necessary) upgrade. Use code BU0770 at checkout. 

Anyone else can use this same code - works on carts and accessories. 

Thank and message me at bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com if I can help. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Scarlett

Thanks This was very kind of you.  When I get ready to order the wheels I will use the code.  

The plastic wheels are a definite upgrade. But…..the front wheel forks are slightly different. 
the brake system is terrible. I shoot a a couple of hilly ranges, definitely need brakes. Problem is I forget to release it. The rod bends, soon becomes nearly unusable. At some point I think I am going to consider trading up to a range tactical cart. 

It looks like the spokes could be brazed back to me. But, if you don't have the equipment and skills to do that, it would most likely cost you more than new wheels.

I have a first gen cart bought in 2010.

Done a number of mods to it over the years. Like longer wheelbase and replaced the steering wheel bushings with real shoulder bearings. 

When I ordered the rear wheel upgrade. It fit just fine on the orginal axle shaft.

Call your order in so they can be sure to send the correct setup. 

OLG 

When I ordered a complete wheel upgrade kit it came with a new axle, new front fork, new bearings for the fork.

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

not bad mouthing here at all 

how do you store your cart at home?  

I have a bed cover on my truck. It stay in there. 

On 11/5/2021 at 7:50 PM, Nickel City Dude said:

Scarlett

Thanks This was very kind of you.  When I get ready to order the wheels I will use the code.  

My pleasure! Big hugs!! Scarlett

On 11/7/2021 at 9:17 PM, Hoss said:

I have a bed cover on my truck. It stay in there. 

oops. I quoted the wrong post! :wacko:  @Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L I meant to quote YOU! Here’s an idea I’ve thought about for myself… 

I have a storage building if it’s not in my Excursion. I keep meaning to get one of those powder coated or rubber coated Bicycle hangers - you could hang from ceiling or on wall depending on which hanger you got. The new plastic spiked wheels come off very easily. I’m still no good at removing the front wheel…

Hugs,

Scarlett

59 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My pleasure! Big hugs!! Scarlett

I just ordered the 3 wheel set and used the code you gave me.  Saved $19 Thanks again.

On 11/7/2021 at 8:03 PM, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

not bad mouthing here at all 

how do you store your cart at home?  

I just roll it into my workshop.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Please post a follow-up when you receive them.

OLG 

Just got them in today.  Haven't opened the box yet and don't know when I can get to putting them on.  But I will post when the job is completed.  Is there anything special you would like to know about them?

1 hour ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Just got them in today.  Haven't opened the box yet and don't know when I can get to putting them on.  But I will post when the job is completed.  Is there anything special you would like to know about them?

No biggie, pretty easy. 

OLG 

On 11/9/2021 at 12:14 PM, Scarlett said:

oops. I quoted the wrong post! :wacko:  @Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L I meant to quote YOU! Here’s an idea I’ve thought about for myself… 

I have a storage building if it’s not in my Excursion. I keep meaning to get one of those powder coated or rubber coated Bicycle hangers - you could hang from ceiling or on wall depending on which hanger you got. The new plastic spiked wheels come off very easily. I’m still no good at removing the front wheel…

Hugs,

Scarlett

Home Depot has a hanger that folds out far enough from the wall to hang it by the axle.   Works great!

38 minutes ago, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

I need to change the wheels on my cart as well...how much did the upgrade cost?

They charged my card 184.28 but I haven't opened the box yet to see just what I got.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, Totes Magoats said:

Rugged Gear now has the Plastic Wheel upgrade.  Much better design.  I ordered a set and replaced the metal spoke wheels for the same reason you describe.

Rugged_Gear-028-Edit-Edit__13984.1540323036.jpg.ff8120907e5ea0a7f4d241508c1a4f1d.jpg

I got the new set also for $100. They may have increased the price by now, as they have with other stuff. The push buttons for wheel removal are much, much better than either the original setup or the carter pins that came later. And, you no longer have to worry about broken spokes, which happens on a regular basis.

I store mine in the garage.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got around to replacing the wheels on my Rugged Gear 3 gun cart.  It was pretty easy but I did have a one miss step.  I thought that I should put one washer on each side of the front post but I soon found out that both washers go on the bottom to give space to the pin that locks and unlocks the wheel in one direction.  They look better than the spoke wheels and from what I have read they will work better.  I have 1 back wheel and the front wheel with the fork and bearing that I will never use so if anyone wants them you can have them just pay the postage.

8 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Well I finally got around to replacing the wheels on my Rugged Gear 3 gun cart.  It was pretty easy but I did have a one miss step.  I thought that I should put one washer on each side of the front post but I soon found out that both washers go on the bottom to give space to the pin that locks and unlocks the wheel in one direction.  They look better than the spoke wheels and from what I have read they will work better.  I have 1 back wheel and the front wheel with the fork and bearing that I will never use so if anyone wants them you can have them just pay the postage.

I will take them.  I have an older cart that needs a front wheel and bearing.  PM with the details for shipping.  Thanks.  Roper

2 hours ago, Renegade Roper said:

I will take them.  I have an older cart that needs a front wheel and bearing.  PM with the details for shipping.  Thanks.  Roper

Roper, OK I will find out what the shipping is and let you know.  I am glad that they will be put to some use as apposed to just trashing them.

Archived