SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Wrangler potential problem?

Cahawbakid

I purchased a pair of Wranglers to day, they seem, as most things from Ruger to be high quality .

I do have one concern. The travel of the two triggers is not the same. When the hammer is down one pistol has considerable travel, the other has NO TRAVEL.

If I pull Back the hammer just a hair then the trigger has travel.

Is the transfer bar catching on something.? The cylinder pin is all the way in as well.

Anybody got any ideas?

Two questions:

1.  Do they both cock in the same hammer position and dry fire normally? 

2.  Do they both index properly?

If the answer to both is yes, I would check to be sure the trigger return spring is engaged and not damaged on one revolver.   

I just checked mine.  One has a slight amount of travel.  When I wiggle that trigger I get the travel and a slight clicking noise which I'm pretty sure is the top of the transfer bar hitting the bottom of the hammer face.  The other pistol has about twice as much travel, and makes the same clicking noise when I wiggle the trigger.  

You may just have a slightly tighter fit.  If you wanted to experiment you could switch out the transfer bars and see if the tightness goes with it.

6 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You may just have a slightly tighter fit.  If you wanted to experiment you could switch out the transfer bars and see if the tightness goes with it.

If your Wrangler is anything like my Vaquero's were you might have a machining burr left inside that the spring is catching on.

Try working them with the muzzle straight up, then muzzle straight down, does it make a difference?

On 11/5/2021 at 5:00 PM, Major Bill said:

Dry fire with snap caps ONLY, had to repair mine when I dry fired without 

one (16 lb spring)  of my 2 wranglers hit on the rim and made it impossible to load because of the metal blocking the openings in the cylinder.  the other gun did nothing (17 lb spring).  I would not ever dry fire them.

Archived