SASS Wire Forum

Well, It Happened

Subdeacon Joe

Coworker that I work closely with tested positive for COVID on Saturday.  Friday evening I was feeling crummy, but had a bunch of nasty insect bites on the inside of my right upper arm.  Throat and tongue swelling, knocked it down with Benadryl, but have been coughing since.   

This morning I had a fever of 101.  Called in, boss told me to get tested .  I'll get the results in a day or two.

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

... had a bunch of nasty insect bites on the inside of my right upper arm...

Covid rash (looks like insect bites):

lightbox_404ac310e79b11ea8f0b739c6244cc6

I did not get this, but if I had it before it was a thing, it was not fun. Do not give in to laying in bed! Keep your ass moving! Dishes, laundry, streaming youtube, whatever, just do not give in to getting into bed!

2 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Do not give in to laying in bed! Keep your ass moving! Dishes, laundry, streaming youtube, whatever, just do not give in to getting into bed!

THIS X 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Get a blood O2 sat meter and keep an eye on your O2 levels If they start to drop get to the ER ASAP

15 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Covid rash (looks like insect bites):

lightbox_404ac310e79b11ea8f0b739c6244cc6

I did not get this, but if I had it before it was a thing, it was not fun. Do not give in to laying in bed! Keep your ass moving! Dishes, laundry, streaming youtube, whatever, just do not give in to getting into bed!

Didn't look anything like that. It was one large welt, a little smaller than a dime, that looked like a mosquito bite or flea bite, surrounded by about 20 normal sized bites.   About 15 minutes after taking Benadryl they subsided and the swelling in my throat went down.

But, thanks for the advice.  I've been puttering, playing with the dog.  

One of the things with my bout with whatever the hell it was was that my lady told me she felt crummy and I felt crummy the next day.

Allowing a factor for denial on the part of the first person... this thing does seem to spread like wildfire.

I did not get the pneumonia either, but the cough was bad and hung on and on. I felt my hernia meshes stressing from the cough. Shower steam may have helped. It won't hurt IMO.

I am not a doctor, but I will be staying at the Red Roof Inn for a couple nights. Do not lay on your back any more than absolutely necessary. But if you do get the pneumonia, get professional support asap!

20 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

a blood O2 sat meter and keep an eye on your O2 levels If they start to drop get to the ER ASAP

Ooooo....break out my old Samsung phone!  The Samsung Health applies that.  And it agreed +/-1 with the doctors machine.

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

THIS X 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Get a blood O2 sat meter and keep an eye on your O2 levels If they start to drop get to the ER ASAP

My team at the VA gave me an oxygen tester thingy over a year ago.  I use it every morning just before I check my BP, also at their insistence.  It takes about five minutes and doesn't hurt a bit.  My dog sits next to me until I'm done.....she knows not to interrupt the proceedings.....and then we do our morning tummy and back rub routine

Even at 35-40 pounds over weight my oxygen retention  level is 94 to 96 every morning and my BP runs from 111 to 123 over 74 to 77, and my pulse (thanks to my new pacemaker) stays at 60 to 65 resting rate.

Do I worry about covid?  Not much, but I got the shots anyway and am waiting to get my booster.

Will I keep checking?  Yes, of course.  Why not?

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Didn't look anything like that. It was one large welt, a little smaller than a dime, that looked like a mosquito bite or flea bite, surrounded by about 20 normal sized bites.   About 15 minutes after taking Benadryl they subsided and the swelling in my throat went down.

But, thanks for the advice.  I've been puttering, playing with the dog.  

Googe "covid rash." I picked a moderate picture and most of them are more dramatic. Some virologists think the rash should be the 4th indicator. There is not agreement on this,  nor on much else. But it is a marker.

Take good care of yourself and get through it. Since there are 10 times as many cases as identified with tests, it mean 90% of people recover without ever going to the doctor. I was one of those, I think. Twice, I think.

I came down with the rash first. My wife discovered it on my back and left arm. I knew I had been exposed so my doctor had me get tested. The ER doctor at the hospital where I was tested took a look at the rash and told me he was 99% certain that I had covid and I did. Start high doses of L-lysine, Reche, Black Elderberry Extract and vitamin D.

8 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Googe "covid rash." I

I did that Friday.   Not close to any of the photos.  Little discoloration, just raised welts like mosquito bites.   The kicker is that the Benadryl made it go away and eased my throat.  I don't think that would happen with COVID.

Joe, you can get an "instant" 2-pack test kit from Walgreens for $23, if you'd rather not wait two days...  :(

But hang in, Pard!  

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I did that Friday.   Not close to any of the photos.  Little discoloration, just raised welts like mosquito bites.   The kicker is that the Benadryl made it go away and eased my throat.  I don't think that would happen with COVID.

My covid rash looked like hundreds of ringworm welts.

If you didn't have all the other symptoms, I would have guessed a spider bite.  But, all the other symptoms together suggest Covid infection.  In any event, you'll know in a day or so.  Have you been vaccinated?  If so, then, hopefully, the symptoms will be mild.  Take care.

Getting above my pay grade here.

The rash indicates an immune system response. Immune system responses include histamine responses.

Benadryl is an anti-histamine. It is not an immune system suppressor.

So I can understand it might have helped, but I would not use it as an ongoing treatment without talking with a doc.

18 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

If you didn't have all the other symptoms, I would have guessed a spider bite.  But, all the other symptoms together suggest Covid infection.  In any event, you'll know in a day or so.  Have you been vaccinated?  If so, then, hopefully, the symptoms will be mild.  Take care.

Yep.  End of April "fully vaccinated."

15 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Getting above my pay grade here.

The rash indicates an immune system response. Immune system responses include histamine responses.

Benadryl is an anti-histamine. It is not an immune system suppressor.

So I can understand it might have helped, but I would not use it as an ongoing treatment without talking with a doc.

The swelling of the throat and tongue suggested to me a strong allergic reaction to something, such as as insect bites.   

Praying for you here. I had Covid a second time after getting my shots.

I'm about 99% sure I've had it twice.  Didn't get tested but had some of the indicator symptoms each time.  My on was tested the 2nd time through and he had it.  The first time was pretty bad, but I didn't need the ER.  2nd time was rather mild, and about 6 or 8 weeks ago.  

You may have been bit by something and got the Cov too, Could be 2 different things.  Hope you feel better soon.

Hate it for ya’!!  Keep moving and stay hydrated!!  

As others have said, monitor your oxygen.

Get well soon!

On 11/4/2021 at 6:16 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Coworker that I work closely with tested positive for COVID on Saturday.  Friday evening I was feeling crummy, but had a bunch of nasty insect bites on the inside of my right upper arm.  Throat and tongue swelling, knocked it down with Benadryl, but have been coughing since.   

This morning I had a fever of 101.  Called in, boss told me to get tested .  I'll get the results in a day or two.

Prayers.

Cough, keep moving, keep those lungs clear!

Been through that, praying for you here

From our experience, keep hydrated, take zinc with Elderberry, vitamin C, keep moving but don't exhaust yourself.

Prayers continuing for you.

18 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

keep hydrated

Overnight I got very dehydrated what with coughing so much.   BP took a dive before I could get enough fluids into me.   Had a rather worrysome half hour around 7a.m.

Gatorade or Pedialyte is good for hydration, also replaces electrolytes. If you've been vaccinated you should have at least a partial immunity (kinda like a flu shot that didn't exactly hit the right strain.) Theoretically you should have a lighter case than if you were unvaccinated. Putting you and yours on my prayer list.

JHC :(

Archived