SASS Wire Forum

Identify these firearms...

portugeejn

Anyone know what firearms these might be?  I know that this is my great-grandfather, the dog's name is Fritz, and I think this was taken somewhere in the 1910's or early 1920's. 

Scan_20211104.jpg

I though the rifle might be an 1873, but of course you can't see the receiver so I don't know.  I thought that perhaps the fore end cap might be distinctive enough that someone might see it an go "I know that, it's a ???"

My guess would be the rifle behind the dog is more likely a .22 of some sort. In both my family and my wife's family shotguns and small-bore rifles were very popular with .22 rifles being produced by the millions. Most folks in the settled east saw no reason to blow a meal apart with a large caliber. With rare exceptions there was nothing that a shotgun or .22 couldn't kill. Keep in mind that in many eastern places deer had been wiped out and it wasn't until the 1950s that they started making a comeback. My FIL had piles of .22s and shotguns and no larger caliber rifles. My dad had a .35 Remington Marlin that stayed in the closet while the shotgun went hunting for everything from deer to vermin. 

20 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I'm guessing Ithaca, just by the lines on the receiver.

I think you're right! If I'm reading the serial number right it was made in 1908, maybe 1909. The photo is a little blurry...

I guess I should make it clear that I am joking. I can only see part of the serial number...

I searched for double barrel shotguns & after looking at around 1,000,000 photos my guess was an Ithaca or an old Remington. It does seem to have a rib in the old picture, and I thought I could barely make out it had a rounded pistol grip. 

The photo is actually a Cyko post card.  You could go to the town photographer, get your photo taken, and they would have it printed on a post card.  Apparently this brand of postcard design was only used from 1904 to the early 1920's, and my grandfather was killed before they quit using that design.  He slipped getting back into the wagon and the horses bolted and it rolled over him. 

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I'm guessing Ithaca, just by the lines on the receiver.

Maybe a Lefever? 

Archived