SASS Wire Forum

Colt safety recall

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

This is from an email I received this morning:

COLT’S MANUFACTURING COMPANY LLC (“COLT”) has recently discovered a potential safety issue with certain Modern Sporting Rifles (“MSRs”). Colt is voluntarily initiating a recall to protect the safety of its customers because, under certain conditions, it is possible that some of these MSRs may discharge a second round when the trigger is released when there is a live round in the chamber.

Colt is committed to the highest standards of quality and customer satisfaction. In keeping with that commitment, during routine quality testing, Colt discovered that hammers that do not meet Colt’s specifications were installed in certain MSRs that were manufactured beginning on March 5, 2021. The issue will be corrected by replacing the hammers in affected MSRs.

The recall only covers a portion of MSRs manufactured beginning on March 5, 2021, and includes the following models: AR15A4, CR6700A4, CR6920, CR6920-EPR, CR6920MPS-B, CR6921, CR6921-EPR, CR6933, CR6933-EPR, CR6960, LE6920-EPR, LE6920MPS-B, LE6920-OEM1, LE6920-OEM2, LE6920-R, LE6933-EPR, SP633784, LE6920SOCOM.

The following chart lists all the serial numbers for those models that may potentially be subject to the recall:

Model Marking

Serial Numbers

AR-15 A4

CAR022851 – CAR023250

CARBINE

CR036354 – CR099599

CARBINE

CR713001 – CR722100

M4 CARBINE

CR716801 – CR721500

M4A1 CARBINE

CR021580 – CR022024

To prevent the possibility of death or serious personal injury, Colt advises anyone who has purchased a Colt MSR since March 5, 2021 to stop using it immediately and visit ColtRepairMSR.com or call Customer Service at 1-800-971-3216 to see if your specific MSR is affected. Please note: Not all MSRs within the serial number range in the above chart are subject to this recall and this website offers easy, step-by-step instructions to determine if a particular MSR is affected.

Customer service agents will assist anyone who needs additional help. Our expert craftsmen are ready to upgrade all affected MSRs at our West Hartford, CT headquarters.

One can buy a device for the AR that does this on purpose. A binary trigger, as it were. Pull the trigger, it fires, release the trigger it fires. 

You have an added selector switch for this. 1. Safe; 2. Fire; 3. Select. A lot of AR's have a position that is not used, on the selector switch. 

The trigger assembly for the binary trigger replaces the existing stock trigger assembly.

According to BATF it is legal. 

Other than being out of stock, they are available to purchase.

You do the work yourself, or get a gunsmith to install it. 

So...if my Colt AR did this, on its own, that would save me some money. :D So....if they put the recall on mine, I will ignore it. 

If I were in the market for an AR-15 (which I'm not), and I was considering Colt because they made the first ones, if I were to see this recall where, instead of calling it what it is - an AR-15 - Colt was doing the wimpy "let's not upset people by calling it an AR" crap of calling it a "Modern Sporting Rifle", I would look for another manufacturer.

It is not a modern sporting rifle. It is not a homeland defense rifle. And it certainly is not an assault weapon. It is an AR-15. Show some balls. The people that are offended by calling it an AR-15 are not going to buy one anyhow. Leapin' Jesus and eight hands around.

5 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

So olin 9mm recall and colt semi auto rifle recall.

I'm gonna need more tin foil

Everyone is under more and more pressure to get things out the door. Your going to see allot of this in many industries.

About a month ago I bought a new Bosch dishwasher. The installation guy got it in and guess what it didn’t work. Luckily for me they had another one just like it . The second one worked . 
The gun industry is no different than anyone else 

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

This is what you can expect now that Colt is outsourcing most of the parts used to build their rifles.

I had a H bar that did that back in the 90’s . So it happened then also . The secondary sear was improperly fit . Luckily I worked for a Colt warranty station at the time so they paid me to fix my gun :) 

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

It is not a modern sporting rifle. It is not a homeland defense rifle. And it certainly is not an assault weapon. It is an AR-15

AR15 is a registered trade mark of Colt's, all AR15's are Colts, but not all Colt MSRs are AR15s. Look at the recall list only the first one is an AR15 all the rest are different models. Many states outlawed the AR15 by name, so Colt quit calling them that. My Colt does not say AR15 anywhere on it.

Archived