SASS Wire Forum

Looking for 20 shells of 45-60

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

Looking for sources as I have looked around and everyone seems to be out. I just purchased an original 1876 and the seller was kind enough to ship me some 45-70 shells, bullets and I bought his Lee die set for 45-60 reloading. I know I can trim the 45-70 shells to size but I would like to have actual marked shells. So if you know of a source I would love to get some or buy fully loaded, black powder cartridges. Thanks in advance. 

FYI real .45-60 rims are thinner than .45-70.  On my original 76 in .45-60 it would not close on cut down .45-70 brass or was hard to close.  If your 76 is loose or you have minimum spec .45-70 it may be OK.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

FYI real .45-60 rims are thinner than .45-70.  On my original 76 in .45-60 it would not close on cut down .45-70 brass or was hard to close.  If your 76 is loose or you have minimum spec .45-70 it may be OK.

This is what I experienced.

My 45-60 is a Chaparral, quite possibly the only functioning one on the planet, and is loose so it works fine with the cut down version and correct head stamp 45-60. My reloads the same in both brass.

No problems so far but it only gets shot once or twice a year.

My buddy has an original in pristine condition but the action lacked quite a bit of closing correctly with my reloads (cut downs) and would only run correct head stamp 45-60 brass.

Tolerances and stack up being what they are my guess is that some originals will work with either some won't.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Laramie said:

Let me look tomorrow. I may have what you need. 
laramie

Look forward to hearing back, but no rush as I am in no hurry to shoot it yet. 

11 hours ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

Try Buffalo Arms.

They are out and I have setup a notification when they get some in or made.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Sent you a PM

--Dawg

Got it and responded to you, Thanks!