SASS Wire Forum

1872 Open Top question

Tall Tale Todd

Howdy, all. 

Looking to get another 1872 open top and was wondering about a couple things. Mainly, if I bought the '72 Army with 7.5" barrel and then bought a shorter replacement barrel from VTI Gun Parts, would it fit/fire safely? Or would I be better off just getting the 5.5" '72 Navy and then try to change the backstrap and frame from brass to steel? Hopefully that made at least a little sense. Thanks in advance for y'alls input.

I have 4 sets of opentops and Richard Mason pistols,  each has 2 sets of barrels one 7 1/2 or 8' and one set 5 1/2" . The only thing you need to be concerned about is the wedge fit for each barrel.  I made sure to get a wedge for each barrel and fitted it to the specific pistols and barrel.  Well worth the $15 for extra wedge. I make sure once fitted that I use that barrel and wedge on that pistol exclusively.

Rafe 

There may be some minor fitting with a new barrel.  Either scenario would work.  It might be that one will be available before the other.   And once the gun is available, will the shorter barrel be available from VTI?  If you buy a shorter barreled gun and need to change the grip frame, it is pretty easy to find someone to trade Army for Navy.  Then again, you could also have a longer barrel cut shorter and new front sight put on.  That really wouldn't cost much and you can ship just a barrel inexpensively.

Enjoy your Open Tops , Mine are all Navy Grips  except one Conversion ...

Did you know that you can get more Goex in the .44 Spl. case than in the .45 sch. with both cases manufactured by Star-Line ?

I would gladly swap my Army Grip Frame for a Navy ,,,, But it's too much hassle across boarders ....

Jabez Cowboy

52 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Enjoy your Open Tops , Mine are all Navy Grips  except one Conversion ...

Did you know that you can get more Goex in the .44 Spl. case than in the .45 sch. with both cases manufactured by Star-Line ?

I would gladly swap my Army Grip Frame for a Navy ,,,, But it's too much hassle across boarders ....

Jabez Cowboy

What difficulties do you run into shipping a grip frame across the border?

Under Canadian Law, the Frame is the Gun. and as such if the grip frame has serial numbers on it .

It is deemed to be a Firearm, conversely the cylinder is not a restricted Gun Part and barrels longer than 4.2 inches are Non restricted items.

But a barrel under 4.2 inches is a Prohibited Device.  

A 7.5 inch barreled SAA chambered in .32-20 is classed as prohibited ( only some can own these ) but a 7.5 inch  SAA in .38 WCF , .44 Spl. , or .45 Colt  is only a restricted Firearm...

If you can figure out any logic in this Please let me Know !

Jabez Cowboy

I have the man with no name 51 conversion with 7.5 barrel. and i also have a 72 open top. I noticed the only difference in the 2 is the barrel. Same cylnder and backstrap and frame. It even has the 72' stamp on frame. I thought about doing the same thing. Buying a 5.5 barrel to match my open top. i tried to interchange them but yes the wedge wouldn't work without modifying. I been looking for parts, but i don't think Cimarron has any in stock. also by the time i buy the barrel, extractor rod and housing and whatever else it needed, i believe i could just buy another open top.  But if the wife asks if i bought another gun, technically i can say no if i just bought the parts. lol

7 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Under Canadian Law, the Frame is the Gun. and as such if the grip frame has serial numbers on it .

It is deemed to be a Firearm, ...

What about partial serial numbers?  Uberti gripframes have the last four digits of the s/n on the triggerguard, on the side near the bottom.  Not visible with grip installed.  Nothing on the backstrap.  (Except some military, such as Cavalry Model P, which have full s/n on outside).   Replacement gripframes, such as from VTI, have no s/n.

4 hours ago, Black RZR said:

I have the man with no name 51 conversion with 7.5 barrel. and i also have a 72 open top. I noticed the only difference in the 2 is the barrel. Same cylnder and backstrap and frame. It even has the 72' stamp on frame.....

You are right, the MWNN "conversion" is an Opentop except for the barrel assembly.  The reason it was made that way is because the original gun in the movie was like that.  That's why the movie gun has no rear sight, and the first run of MWNN from Uberti also had no rear sight.

22 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

What about partial serial numbers?  Uberti gripframes have the last four digits of the s/n on the triggerguard, on the side near the bottom.  Not visible with grip installed.  Nothing on the backstrap.  (Except some military, such as Cavalry Model P, which have full s/n on outside).   Replacement gripframes, such as from VTI, have no s/n.

If it has numbers ,they would be deemed to be Serial Numbers thus a Controlled Part ....  But no numbers should be no issue unless some Liberal decided to make an issue over it, then even though you are right it might be some time and expense involved .

5 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

If it has numbers ,they would be deemed to be Serial Numbers thus a Controlled Part ....  But no numbers should be no issue unless some Liberal decided to make an issue over it, then even though you are right it might be some time and expense involved .

On mine the cylinder and wedge also have a partial #.  I assumed that was so you can bet it back in the right gun.  Then what would you do with an old A5 that has partial numbers on the screws, does that make that part of the gun controlled?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived