SASS Wire Forum

If you’re following the Rittenhouse trial

Buckshot Bob

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an interesting case, for the simple fact that it will have ramifications for gun owners and any "patriots" who think they are able to claim self-defense even if they deliberately inserted themselves into a situation where they had to use deadly force.

22 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

This is an interesting case, for the simple fact that it will have ramifications for gun owners and any "patriots" who think they are able to claim self-defense even if they deliberately inserted themselves into a situation where they had to use deadly force.

He was also underage to carry a firearm I think he was 17 at the time. 

23 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I’m hoping they don’t hang the kid out to dry to avoid the impending riots . Especially because I feel no matter the decision, there will be riots 

Not following. I’m trying to mellow out my life. To much drama, hatred, politics makes Bob a dull boy.

Bottles, a round on me for my family here.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Jack. Neat. 

Mucho Gracias, mi Amigo. 

In best Yoda voice, “Welcome you are” :lol:

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not following. I’m trying to mellow out my life. To much drama, hatred, politics makes Bob a dull boy.

Ditto Bob’s sentiment for me.

I’ll try a Wild Turkey and Coke!

A shipmate from Padua, KY got me started on that back in 68.

Mucho's Gracias Amigo!

CJ

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Bob you have always been the resident poet laurate, our sage advisor and mentor in critical thinking.

In a nutshell you have shown the path to true enlightenment.

Thank you

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

The Sunday NYTimes Magazine had a long article about the case this last Sunday. A remarkably dispassionate and balanced account. The trial could go either way, but the defense has a very good shot, I think. 

The big problem for the kid is that he should never have been anywhere near there. Another kid who had no wise mentors or guidance.

7 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The big problem for the kid is that he should never have been anywhere near there. Another kid who had no wise mentors or guidance.

I know that’s the argument the prosecutor is going to use , but I just don’t agree. He’s got as much of a right to be there as any protesters, looters or vandals . Plenty of people that live on the borders of states go to a different state every day. If he’s a US citizen he’s got the right to be anywhere he can be legally in the US . It may not have been smart to be there , but that probably applies to all the participants.

All that being said I am a proponent of don’t go stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things, but that’s what some people do , especially when their young. 

41 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I know that’s the argument the prosecutor is going to use , but I just don’t agree. He’s got as much of a right to be there as any protesters, looters or vandals . Plenty of people that live on the borders of states go to a different state every day. If he’s a US citizen he’s got the right to be anywhere he can be legally in the US . It may not have been smart to be there , but that probably applies to all the participants.

All that being said I am a proponent of don’t go stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things, but that’s what some people do , especially when their young. 

I agree that he had the right to be there but according to law, he should not have been carrying a gun at 17 yrs old. 

South Georgia has its own political hot potato trial starting up now.  It's the trial of the three white guys who tried to detain a black guy who they caught at a house under construction.   The altercation was recorded where the black guy was chased down the street and then he tried to grab a shotgun from one of the white guys and another white guy shot him.  At least one of the white guys is associated with law enforcement and the DA tried to squash the case.  Small town politics at work until the national media and the state got involved.  It'll be interesting to see what the jury does with this one.

Having this case and the Rittenhouse case recorded on video takes a lot of the "what happened" and "who did what" out of the equation.  The jury now just has to decide "why" it happened and was it legal.

While I have armchair quarterback opinions on both of these cases, I know that the media either doesn't know or is not telling us everything.  Therefore, I'll just rely on the wisdom of the jurors and the legal system to work this out.  

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I agree that he had the right to be there but according to law, he should not have been carrying a gun at 17 yrs old. 

If I’m remembering correctly that’s just a misdemeanor in Wi , so give him his fine and let’s be done with it . If he hadn’t had the gun he’d probably be dead . I’d take a fine over that anytime.

Also if the want him prosecuted for being under age shouldn’t he be treated as a child for the rest of the proceedings? Why does the prosecutor get to have it both ways? To me this whole trial is about the government wanting people to be afraid to defend themselves. 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

If I’m remembering correctly that’s just a misdemeanor in Wi , so give him his fine and let’s be done with it . If he hadn’t had the gun he’d probably be dead . I’d take a fine over that anytime.

Also if the want him prosecuted for being under age shouldn’t he be treated as a child for the rest of the proceedings? Why does the prosecutor get to have it both ways? To me this whole trial is about the government wanting people to be afraid to defend themselves. 

Maybe, I'm not sure but I hope you're right.;)

Think back to all the self defense news clippings posted in the monthly NRA magazine and other sources and how many times an underage kid was forced to defend themselves with a gun and was not prosecuted.  

His parents may have told him to stay away but that doesn't always mean kids obey.  

Had Rittenhouse been a looter that shot someone, would he be prosecuted?  At that time no protestors were being prosecuted and kamala Harris and others were posting their bond if they were arrested.  

I will add though, that there is a proverb in the Bible, basically says not to meddle in business not your own as meddling in someone else's business is like grabbing a dog by the ears.   

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Maybe, I'm not sure but I hope you're right.;)

I do too , but sometimes what I think is right and what the government does don’t always seem to align. Personally I don’t think the kid should have been charged . I don’t think he’s actions were very smart. But to me this seems to be a pretty clear case of self defense. The kid was definitely not getting the proper guidance from the adults in the situation 

7 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Had Rittenhouse been a looter that shot someone, would he be prosecuted?  

My understanding from the news reports I have read is that Rittenhouse and the guy that loaned him the rifle are the only two people that are being prosecuted by this district attorney out of everything that happened that day . If true to me that pretty telling of the agenda they are pushing 

It's seems to be an agenda driven prosecution for sure.  I agree with @Buckshot Bob  the kid had as much right to be there as anyone else did.  Having said that, if he were my kid, no way he would have been there.

We don't go looking for trouble, we just make sure if trouble finds us we're prepared.

I think the guys in Georgia are screwed.  The best they can hope for is a hung jury.  Not necessarily because of the facts, but because of the agenda and the media attention.  They have to hope there is at least one or more member of the jury who's not concerned about the mob that will descend on them if they vote not guilty.

I think this kid walks, primarily because there's no racial component to this one.

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’m enjoying the Clontarf you recommended, well not at this exact moment 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

My understanding from the news reports I have read is that Rittenhouse and the guy that loaned him the rifle are the only two people that are being prosecuted by this district attorney out of everything that happened that day . If true to me that pretty telling of the agenda they are pushing 

I believe that is true.  It has also come out during the trial that the only phone the police did not download and store the data, even though there was a warrant, was from the last guy he shot.  If I read it correctly that individual was not charged with possession even though he had some on his person.    

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

While Wisconsin has "Castle Doctrine" it does not have "Stand Your Ground". Its also my understanding in WI, if you shoot someone while committing a crime (In this case underage possession of a firearm) its much more challenging to claim self defense.  

1 hour ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

While Wisconsin has "Castle Doctrine" it does not have "Stand Your Ground". Its also my understanding in WI, if you shoot someone while committing a crime (In this case underage possession of a firearm) its much more challenging to claim self defense.  

He was retreating from all of them as far as I could see on the video. The first one was attacking him and trying to take his gun away. The second was beaten on him with a skateboard and the third had his own gun. 
I still don’t get how they can get away with the minor with a gun charge when they are legally considering him as an adult for the rest of the charges. 
It should be a interesting trial. So far at least the judge seems to be fair. 

Wisdom comes from experience.

Experience comes from surviving bad decisions.

Sometimes common sense has to be earned.

6 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I believe the last guy he shot (who was armed with a handgun) was a convicted felon and therefore was also carrying illegally. Assuming that's true, if he wasn't charged with anything that's telling as well.

5 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I believe the last guy he shot (who was armed with a handgun) was a convicted felon and therefore was also carrying illegally. Assuming that's true, if he wasn't charged with anything that's telling as well.

I heard he was not a felon but didn’t have a permit so was illegally carrying a handgun. But with the way the press is it’s hard to know. 
Not many reporters seem to do their due diligence. But either way why wasn’t he charged. He was attacking a minor with a firearm he was illegally carrying either way . 
To me this just shows the agenda they are pushing 

Archived