SASS Wire Forum

FFL question

Coyote Kid, SASS#54714

I'd like to know.

Can a Gun shop/FFL holder in a state bring a hand gun to another state (non anti gun) and sell it to a resident (with 4473) in that state?

I know the FFL is federal and I've seen out of state vendors at gun shows, but this would be the sale to a legal for the resident in a different state.

Enquirering minds wants to know.

Thanks

Hopefully @Phantom will see this and answer. 

In states with waiting periods, the answer would be no as the firearm is held by the FFL for the determined time period before being released to the buyer.  Secondly, when I had my FFL years ago, the transaction to the individual must take place at the FFL license address.  Out of area/state was to be handled at a FFL local to the buyer.  That's why there is always a local transfer dealer at every gunshow I have attended.

5 hours ago, Coyote Kid, SASS#54714 said:

I'd like to know.

Can a Gun shop/FFL holder in a state bring a hand gun to another state (non anti gun) and sell it to a resident (with 4473) in that state?

I know the FFL is federal and I've seen out of state vendors at gun shows, but this would be the sale to a legal for the resident in a different state.

Enquirering minds wants to know.

Thanks

No, also FFL dealer can only sell at their place of business ( the address of the FFL) or at gun shows.

An FFL can sell a handgun to a nonresident. However it must be shipped to an FFL in a state that the nonresident is a resident of. That FFL can complete the paper work and do the transfer.

kR

PS there is a great deal of difference between a sale and a transfer.

18 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

No, also FFL dealer can only sell at their place of business ( the address of the FFL) or at gun shows.

Not quite, but close. In a nutshell, gun-centric events.

11 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

An FFL can sell a handgun to a nonresident. However it must be shipped to an FFL in a state that the nonresident is a resident of. That FFL can complete the paper work and do the transfer.

kR

What?

22 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

kR

Normally what people regard as a "sale" is both a "sale" and a "transfer," more simply known as a transfer of both title and possession.

2 hours ago, Chacón said:

Normally what people regard as a "sale" is both a "sale" and a "transfer," more simply known as a transfer of both title and possession.

For example Shirttail purchased a Ruger PC in ID and took possession of it there. She also purchased a Walther Pistol there from Cabelas and we had to have it shipped to an FFL, also Cabelas in AZ (our home state) to get it transferred to her. So a sale and a transfer are not the same according to ATF rules.

kR

58 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

For example Shirttail purchased a Ruger PC in ID and took possession of it there. She also purchased a Walther Pistol there from Cabelas and we had to have it shipped to an FFL, also Cabelas in AZ (our home state) to get it transferred to her. So a sale and a transfer are not the same according to ATF rules.

kR

Yep, title and possession aren't the same thing.  Law school would be that much shorter if property was easier.

The FFL has to transfer the handgun to an FFL in the state the purchaser is a resident of.  Whether by UPS/FedEx/USPS, or if at a gun show, to a FFL of the purchaser's state of residence.  Of course if it's a California resident, then there is a whole new can of worms and hoops everybody has to jump thru.

17 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Could an FFL from State A go to a gun show in State B and transfer a gun to an FFL licensed in State B for delivery to a cleared citizen of State B?

Yes, FFL's to can transfer to any other FFL

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Could an FFL from State A go to a gun show in State B and transfer a gun to an FFL licensed in State B for delivery to a cleared citizen of State B?

This is how "sales" at out of state events occur.

An instate transfer agent on site at the event will accept reciept of the firearm from me FFL to FFL.

So my bound book shows the transfer to the instate transfer agent - not the end purchaser (tho I will record the end purchaser {in my notes} in case of a declined transaction on the transfer agents end).

They will then collect the 4473 information, conduct the background check and then (assuming the end purchaser passes BG) their bound book will list receipt from my FFL - and disposition to the end purchaser.

Or to use Phantoms brevity - Yes. :D

17 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

The FFL has to transfer the handgun to an FFL in the state the purchaser is a resident of.  Whether by UPS/FedEx/USPS, or if at a gun show, to a FFL of the purchaser's state of residence.  Of course if it's a California resident, then there is a whole new can of worms and hoops everybody has to jump thru.

Not really.

Archived