SASS Wire Forum

If invited to a thanksgiving dinner….

I gave some thought to this, and heck, I might invite myself to a dinner for one.

my likely “bring with” dishes would likely be ‘roasted root vegetables’ or ‘homemade cranberry sauce’.

if cranberry sauce was the option, I would also bring a can of jellied cranberry sauce for those ‘sensitive pallets’

if roasted root veggies were the option, I’d be free to select my veggies and sauces.

If invited to a dinner - Thanksgiving or otherwise - I just bring my appetite. You invited me, therefore you are feeding me. Why would I bring food?

If I invite you, I don't expect you to bring food or wine or dessert. The same as if I ask someone out to dinner. If I invited them, I pick up the check. I don't expect them to pay. If someone invited me out to dinner, I certainly would not reach for my wallet when the check came.

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

If invited to a dinner - Thanksgiving or otherwise - I just bring my appetite. You invited me, therefore you are feeding me. Why would I bring food?

If I invite you, I don't expect you to bring food or wine or dessert. The same as if I ask someone out to dinner. If I invited them, I pick up the check. I don't expect them to pay. If someone invited me out to dinner, I certainly would not reach for my wallet when the check came.

My wife and I always ask what we can bring. If the hostess says to bring nothing, we show up with an appetite and grateful smile.  But the hostess often says to bring a dessert or wine or something like that, which we’re more than happy to do.

Dinner invitations aren’t about who feeds whom.  They’re about sharing each other’s companionship.

Roast vegetables sound good by me.

Really like homemade cranberry sauce.  Otherwise I might would bring a pie or possibly possum pie which is a casserole dish lined with Graham crackers ,then crushed pecans, covered with chocolate pudding in layers with cool whip and alternating and pecans sprinkled and chocolate shavings on top 

Roasted potatoes, 

and homemade cranberry sauce,

Possum pie casserole, 

Oh me, oh my.

595268685ce12_Salivating-Emoji-RESIZED.jpg.c867f22c065a4fe4b6282c37ba9be4e7.jpg

For me and my wife is ALL about the friendship.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Really like homemade cranberry sauce.  Otherwise I might would bring a pie or possibly possum pie which is a casserole dish lined with Graham crackers ,then crushed pecans, covered with chocolate pudding in layers with cool whip and alternating and pecans sprinkled and chocolate shavings on top 

You’re invited, the whole fam damily, be sure to bring the possum pie, family optional.

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

One of my aunts made cranberry sauce that was out of this world. I have her recipe (I think) her daughter gave me. Aunt is passed of course. Good as it was looked like WAAAAY too much work for the kid. I'll settle for Ocean Spray.

JHC

When invited I always volunteer to bring a dish.  I usually bring my sweet 'tater casserole (Mom's recipe, rest her soul).  

Sometimes a pie.  Current favorite is a German Chocolate Pie.

12 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I gave some thought to this, and heck, I might invite myself to a dinner for one.

I interpret this to mean you may spend Thanksgiving alone. If so sorry to hear, but we're in the same boat. I've had to spend my T-givings alone since my divorce. Same with my birthday party. Heck, on my B-day I usually go to a nice restaurant and pig out, because hey, I'm worth it. Usually followed up by a trip to a museum or one of my favorite stores to shop.

You gotta do what you gotta do, even if you're the only one who appreciates it.

If on the other hand you really meant to say,

I gave some thought to this, and heck, I might invite myself to a dinner for once.

Please excuse my rant and carry on. :blush:

I'll ask if they would like me to bring anything, it's almost always no. Usually end up bringing the sweet (and unsweet) tea.

I'd make the giblet gravy, with real giblets, instead of the bland brown gravy if asked.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:47 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Would you share your recipe for cranberry salad?

Only for you.

6-oz pkg cherry jello

3-oz pkg orange jello

2 cans whole-berry cranberry sauce

12-oz bag fresh cranberries, chopped

Large can crushed pineapple, drained*

1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup sprite or ginger ale

*Save the pineapple juice; add water or oj (if needed) to make 1 cup.  Heat juice to boiling; remove from heat & dissolve the jello's.  Stir in chopped cranberries & the cranberry salad.  Stir in the rest of the stuff (spite/ginger ale last).  Pour into a 9x13" pan & refrigerate until set.

Adding a little can of drained & chopped mandarin oranges won't hurt it.

My mama's recipe is dated Dec 1949, so I have literally never celebrated a Christmas without it.

10 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Only for you.

6-oz pkg cherry jello

3-oz pkg orange jello

2 cans whole-berry cranberry sauce

12-oz bag fresh cranberries, chopped

Large can crushed pineapple, drained*

1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup sprite or ginger ale

*Save the pineapple juice; add water or oj (if needed) to make 1 cup.  Heat juice to boiling; remove from heat & dissolve the jello's.  Stir in chopped cranberries & the cranberry salad.  Stir in the rest of the stuff (spite/ginger ale last).  Pour into a 9x13" pan & refrigerate until set.

Adding a little can of drained & chopped mandarin oranges won't hurt it.

My mama's recipe is dated Dec 1949, so I have literally never celebrated a Christmas without it.

Thank you very much.

For sure a bottle of wine.  I've been known to bring a Weber cooked turkey, pies, and a favorite - pumpkin soup.  Folks are always surprised at that one... and everyone wants the recipe.  

So here it is!  :lol:

PUMPKIN SOUP

6 cups chicken stock

1 1/2 teaspoons salt  (I sometimes forget the salt… )

4 cups pumpkin puree (cooked pumpkin. Baked, steamed, nuked, even canned ~ it’s all good)

1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

1 cup chopped onion

1 chopped shallot

1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

1+ clove garlic, minced  (I think I used about the equivalent of 2 and a bit more…)

5 whole black peppercorns

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream  (Oops… I've used a bit over a cup – Darn! And Yum!!) :blush: 

Directions

Heat stock, salt, pumpkin, onion, shallot, thyme, garlic, and peppercorns. Oh heck… put it all in the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.

Puree the soup in small batches (1 cup at a time) using a food processor or blender. Or do like I did and do it all in the pot using an immersion blender – MUCH easier!!

Bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for another 30 minutes, uncovered. Stir in heavy cream. Pour into soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley. (I sometimes don’t bother with the foliage)

A bunch of years ago when one year I found myself flush and foolish, I bought myself a Staub five quart, cast iron "cocotte" to cook it in.  And a set if miniature ceramic versions for serving.  Fun!  ^_^

image.jpeg.3cdb73f87a1eecdb4263746a8275027e.jpeg

Archived