SASS Wire Forum

I just went in the store for some vodka but…..

Utah Bob #35998

They had a Bulleit display just inside the door. They must have seen me coming.

F50BF513-D558-489A-A661-E82A975F97A6.jpeg

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It is not undersized.

Au contraire, mon frere.

We used to have, here in the good ol US of A, a measure of liquor known as a fifth. It was called this because it was one fifth of a gallon, which equated to four fifths of a quart - 27½ ounces.

Then the liquor industry went metric. We no longer have a fifth. We have 750 mL - 26½ ounces.

Undersized. B)

That darn OTTO again! :angry:

Snip-it_1635943100112.jpg.97f14fe54357833410e3965fb55e2d9e.jpg

I bet they meant to call it a more appropriate name:

BULLET BOURBON.

Got my cup Bulleit gift set for last Thanksgiving. Got another with the glasses for Christmas. Got the bag (magnetic closure) as a promotional gift in February. Another in green when I tried their Rye whiskey. Thinking I may need to see if there is anything else out there. 
I like Bulleit!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

28 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Dang it Alpo....do you need to go back to bed, and start over??? Grumpy puppy!!!:rolleyes:

I think it's a very cute little set. And since it came with cups, you are obviously supposed to drink it by the cup full.

But it is a fact it when the liquor industry went metric, the American drinker got hosed. We used to have a miniature, which held an ounce and a half. We used to have a half pint which held eight ounces. We had a pint which held sixteen, a fifth that held 27½, a quart that held thirty two and a half gallon that held sixty four.

The half-pint is now a 200 mL (6.8 oz). The pint is a 375 ml (12.7 oz). The fifth is now 750 ml (25.4 oz - I incorrectly said it was 26.5 on up the thread, but that was running off memory). The half gallon is now 1.775 liters (59.2 oz).

All of these standard size bottles have shrunk in size, from two to five ounces, but their prices stayed the same.

The quart became a liter, and actually increased in size, from 32oz to 33.8. Happy happy joy joy. Get an extra shot in the bottle. They raised the price on that because there was more booze in it.

56 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I think it's a very cute little set. And since it came with cups, you are obviously supposed to drink it by the cup full.

But it is a fact it when the liquor industry went metric, the American drinker got hosed. We used to have a miniature, which held an ounce and a half. We used to have a half pint which held eight ounces. We had a pint which held sixteen, a fifth that held 27½, a quart that held thirty two and a half gallon that held sixty four.

The half-pint is now a 200 mL (6.8 oz). The pint is a 375 ml (12.7 oz). The fifth is now 750 ml (25.4 oz - I incorrectly said it was 26.5 on up the thread, but that was running off memory). The half gallon is now 1.775 liters (59.2 oz).

All of these standard size bottles have shrunk in size, from two to five ounces, but their prices stayed the same.

The quart became a liter, and actually increased in size, from 32oz to 33.8. Happy happy joy joy. Get an extra shot in the bottle. They raised the price on that because there was more booze in it.

It’s just another manifestation of shrinkflation, just different.

Howdy.

So git me started on inflation.

I stamped thousands of soup cans 9 cents.

Today same can 90 to 129 cents.

Of course 9 cents was under the 15 cent minimum for sales tax.

So one could eat a little meal and not pay the gummint.

And I still remember the BIG fuss when gasoline went over a dollar a gallon.

See the pumps stopped at 99,9.

wish inflation did.

Best

CR

otoh 400 dollar black and white tv with three channels if you were lucky.......

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Why can’t it be half full ? Or mt , depending on how your attitude is :) 

14 hours ago, Alpo said:

Au contraire, mon frere.

We used to have, here in the good ol US of A, a measure of liquor known as a fifth. It was called this because it was one fifth of a gallon, which equated to four fifths of a quart - 27½ ounces.

Then the liquor industry went metric. We no longer have a fifth. We have 750 mL - 26½ ounces.

Undersized. B)

Never said I bought a fifth. 750 ml is the industry standard. You could argue that a dollar bill is undersized, compared to a vintage greenback. I can’t live in the past.

BTW a package of Oreos used to be 20 ounces. Now it’s 16. :angry:

14 hours ago, Alpo said:

Au contraire, mon frere.

Undersized. B)

A gallon has always been 128 ounces.  128/5 is 25.6.  It seems that it's your math that is broken.   750 mL is 25.4 ounces.  If a shot is an ounce and a half, you're whining about .13 shots, aka, nothing.

I rather buy all these consumables by weight. But I don’t think the manufacturers would like it. 
Especially if you’re making chips or cereal. When I was in the chemical industry everything was by weight. Until it was packaged for the final consumer. But even then it’s surprising how much things are cut with h2o , solvents and other thinners . 

On 11/2/2021 at 10:41 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They had a Bulleit display just inside the door. They must have seen me coming.

F50BF513-D558-489A-A661-E82A975F97A6.jpeg

Just bought this at Walmart for the same price as just the bottle itself. 

OLG

Archived