SASS Wire Forum

Is it Me….

…or do others think Joe Buck is one of the most annoying announcers in sports broadcasting? I’m watching the series tonight, but have sound turned down so there’s just a hint of voices and crowd noise. I want to stuff a rosin bag in his mouth just to get him to stop yammering. 

Dang, I miss the days of listening to Cardinals baseball with his dad Jack and Harry Caray in the booth.  

Never have liked Buck, did enjoy Smoltz however and really enjoyed the butt kickin Atlanta gave the Astros in last nights game!!! Love the Braves!!!

Buck is third on my list. Earnhardt Jr and Jeff Burton (NASCAR) are numbers 1 and 2 on my worst announcer ever list.

It used to be the the announcers would simply announce the action/plays of the particular sport and let the viewer decipher what is going on. Now, in every sport, it is a constant and annoying babble about stats/etc that no one outside of "fantasy leaguers" cares about.

BRING BACK GORDON SOLIE (Thaw him out first though)

He doesn't bother me because I usually have the sound down and there's that good ol" mute button too!:P

8 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Vin Scully, the greatest voice in baseball… ever!

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

He's in a dead heat with Verne Lundquist.

Two of the greats, but can’t have this discussion without Marty Brenneman and Joe Nuxhall of the Reds. How Marty made it in the HoF and Joe didn’t is beyond me. It’s like putting peanut butter in the HoF without the jelly. 

Marty-n-Joe were so seamless together. I’d listen to them on the radio over watching the TV every time. They made the game come alive. 

My choice for worst sportscaster is/was Chris Economaki!! He knew less about auto racing than a blind jackass and spouted off like he was the be all and end all of it all!!

Next, and I mean no offense to our British friends, almost ANY British racing commentator!! Seems like they ALL are in a panic and are constantly shouting like the whole place is on fire!  They yak-yak-yak in that strident tone and repeat the obvious over and over until I want to scream “SHUT THE #*$% UP!!!” if they could hear me.

Joe Buck doesn’t bother me.  I liked Vin Skully.  I liked Dizzy Dean.  They had a knowledge of the game and only got excited when something exciting was happening.

And YEAH! Dale Jr. and Jeff Burton seem to be a little too excited and strident, but they know what they are talking about, so I tolerate them.

16 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I love listening to Bob Uecker.

This. Always. :D

I figure that there's 2 kinds of sports broadcasters- professionals ones that have done it their entire careers and 'color commentators' that are former athletes.

The former athletes or coaches, like the Dale Jr and Jeff Burton examples mentioned above, I cut a good bit of slack.  They are there, first and foremost, for their deep knowledge of their particular sport.  They are the on the spot experts and are there so they can share their insights as things happen.  They can be as boring as drying paint drying if they are a fountain of knowledge that can explain it to the layman clearly, as far as I'm concerned.  It takes them years to make the adjustment to being on TV instead of participating and some never quite make the full transition or reach a level of comfort.

The ones that I enjoy the most are the athletes that transition to being professional sports broadcasters.  They combine the best of both worlds and are as rare as hen's teeth.

The professionals, on the other hand, don't get a whole lot of slack from me.  They are the pros and they should be able to feed their color commentator questions and comments to keep them involved.  They also need to be knowledgeable enough in the sport that they don't make stupid mistakes in terminology (for example, don't refer to Auburn as 'War Eagle' because that's a rally cry, not a mascot).  And they must be interesting in their delivery of the play by play without going off on  embarrassing Brett Lushberger-like tangents.

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My choice for worst sportscaster is/was Chris Economaki!! He knew less about auto racing than a blind jackass and spouted off like he was the be all and end all of it all!!

Next, and I mean no offense to our British friends, almost ANY British racing commentator!! Seems like they ALL are in a panic and are constantly shouting like the whole place is on fire!  They yak-yak-yak in that strident tone and repeat the obvious over and over until I want to scream “SHUT THE #*$% UP!!!” if they could hear me.

And YEAH! Dale Jr. and Jeff Burton seem to be a little too excited and strident, but they know what they are talking about, so I tolerate them.

I agree with all of this statement + the first sentence made me laugh my ass off...well, not all of it.

Earnhardt and Burton have that drawl, which can be grating but they do know of what they speak.  They bring out nuances that few can appreciate.  Joe Buck OTH, is insufferable.  He was the announcer on Packer games a few years back.  You could tell he was always pulling for any team the Packers were playing against.  Enough fans complained to the Green Bay head office that GB complained to Fox Sports and got him pulled.  It was Buck and Aikman and they never liked the Packers.  If you are an announcer, you can't display favoritism like they did.  Completely unprofessional.

42 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Earnhardt and Burton have that drawl, which can be grating but they do know of what they speak.  They bring out nuances that few can appreciate.  Joe Buck OTH, is insufferable.  He was the announcer on Packer games a few years back.  You could tell he was always pulling for any team the Packers were playing against.  Enough fans complained to the Green Bay head office that GB complained to Fox Sports and got him pulled.  It was Buck and Aikman and they never liked the Packers.  If you are an announcer, you can't display favoritism like they did.  Completely unprofessional.

The drawl doesn't bother me in the least...I'm a Southern man...I can understand them perfectly.;) It's the constant prattle and over the top excitement (that isn't happening on the track) that makes me push the remote to mute. I know that they know what they're talking about, in fact, Burton has been the catalyst of many safety features on todays race cars. Junior, well he did win some races but really just clamped onto his Daddy's shirttail without the talent or will to become a "real" race car driver. Just because they know what they are talking about, doesn't mean that I want to hear them yell every time someone gets loose in a corner.

9 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Two of the greats, but can’t have this discussion without Marty Brenneman and Joe Nuxhall of the Reds. How Marty made it in the HoF and Joe didn’t is beyond me. It’s like putting peanut butter in the HoF without the jelly. 

Marty-n-Joe were so seamless together. I’d listen to them on the radio over watching the TV every time. They made the game come alive. 

You haven’t heard Tom Hamilton in Cleveland. He does the radio broadcast for the Indians ( now the Guardians) he’s the best I’ve ever heard including Vin Skully in MHO 

5 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

If you think Junior and Jeff have an accent, you should hear Jeff's brother, Ward.  Saying that it's 'thick' doesn't do it justice.

Joe Buck is an irritant of the First Order.

On 11/3/2021 at 2:12 PM, Cypress Sun said:

The drawl doesn't bother me in the least...I'm a Southern man...I can understand them perfectly.;) It's the constant prattle and over the top excitement (that isn't happening on the track) that makes me push the remote to mute. I know that they know what they're talking about, in fact, Burton has been the catalyst of many safety features on todays race cars. Junior, well he did win some races but really just clamped onto his Daddy's shirttail without the talent or will to become a "real" race car driver. Just because they know what they are talking about, doesn't mean that I want to hear them yell every time someone gets loose in a corner.

Can't argue with you.  They do rattle on.

Archived