SASS Wire Forum

EOT 2022 Theme and Brass Question

Just wondering if the 2022 EOT theme will be "How the West was Won" which is what the 2021 Winter Range theme was to be before it was canceled?

Also will it be a lost brass match like previous Winter Ranges or not a lost brass match like the most recent End of Trails have been?

Thanks

Scout

43 minutes ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

Yes, the "How the West Was Won" theme has been carried forward to EOT 2022. The match will be a lost brass match, with the Boy Scouts retrieving the brass, processing it, and selling it at the match.

Thanks for the confirmation Slim

18 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Surprised to learn that it's a lost brass match.  Didn't think that was still a thing.  I know it's a small thing in comparison to the rest of the costs of going to EoT, but if it were to turn out that I can go, this would push me into the taking a pass category.

The boy scouts use this as a fundraiser.

Oportunity to buy back bags of brass.

My dilemma is.. do I shoot the new brass I bought this year or do I break out the old brass that I had been shooting for about 5 yrs. Switched to new because I was finding quite a few that were splitting while loading or at unloading table.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the new...

Here's the problem.

Over 800 shooters means 90 seconds from beep to beep to keep on schedule. Picking brass takes a lot of time that could be used in getting the shooter to the line and ready to shoot.

WR was a lost brass match for, like, ever. This is no different.

I use new brass in the rifle, as I don't like collapsed cases, and old in the pistol.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Surprised to learn that it's a lost brass match.  Didn't think that was still a thing.  I know it's a small thing in comparison to the rest of the costs of going to EoT, but if it were to turn out that I can go, this would push me into the taking a pass category.

So not getting a 120 pieces of brass back would stop you from going to EOT? 

It should also be remembered that WR/EOT is during the school year.  The Boy Scouts are in school and come out at night to pick up the brass.  As noted a large number of shooters coupled with a large percentage of shooters in the senior geezer category equals a glacial brass pickup time.  The only people that seem to gripe about it are ones who have never been to WR/EOT or profess they will never go because they will loose their 120 pieces of .38 Special brass.  WR/EOT is at least 50% bigger than any other match in the country.

all new brass pistol and rifles, if ya run short ya can use the pistol  loads in the rifle.....your going to get all the pistol brass back......so rifle and SG  hulls not returned ,equals what maybe $20 laying there....price of doing business....after a flight, house rental, expenses, range fees........small price to pay. and i will gladly pay it

1 hour ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

My dilemma is.. do I shoot the new brass I bought this year or do I break out the old brass that I had been shooting for about 5 yrs. Switched to new because I was finding quite a few that were splitting while loading or at unloading table.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the new...

12 stages....10 rifle = 120 'lost'.

Buy a bag of 500 from the Troop at a great cost...

No brainer!

The stage layouts  (more than half are in multi-stage open bays without separation, and there's "blocking" props on the firing line on most stages, too) just CANNOT support brass picking as the shooter finishes, nor as the posse finishes.  It's hard to paint targets on some stages except after four stages have been completed by all four possses,

All efforts are made to help brass hull shotgun shooters to get THAT brass back right away,.

If you have no intention of being in the "lineup" at awards - then consider this a great place to get rid of your ratty brass.  :lol:

If you have big plans, bring your best - guns, ammo, attitude and focus.  It will pay off.

If you support youth doing great things - bring your cash and buy a bag or three.

good luck, GJ

10 hours ago, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

Crazy.    So few hundred dollars for match.   Hundreds on lodging, hundreds on food and people may not attend due to $25 in brass

support the Boy Scouts 

I fully admit that the cost is not the factor.   It's equal combinations of the principle, and, if I am honest, the way the Boy Scouts have liberalized in the last few years makes me less inclined to support them.

Might be foolish on my part, but I have to admit to the reality.  :(

1 minute ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I fully admit that the cost is not the factor.   It's equal combinations of the principle, and, if I am honest, the way the Boy Scouts have liberalized in the last few years makes me less inclined to support them.

Plus, I went to EoT a few years ago at Founders Ranch, it was not a loss brass match and it didn't cause problems.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

So you believe the best way to express your dissatisfaction with national policy is to penalize a group of local kids, who just might grow up to change that policy?:angry:

I want to get my brass where you guys do! That's cheap... if ya can find any.

Anyway, I've been to WR, lost brass and then bought some back. It was ok. I'd rather just keep my own but I do get the point. Pickin' brass takes time.

Would I shoot my brand new 45s there? Nope!

Shooting a 38WCF, it's a bit painful to lose brass.  At every WR I have attended, I've bought back brass from the Boy Scouts.  They do a pretty good job at sorting but you will have a few culls.  I have noticed that most folks using 38WCF or 44WCF do not use new brass so you will get used and abused brass back.  It's the price I factor into the trip and helping the scouts is a plus.

9 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Anyway, I've been to WR, lost brass and then bought some back. It was ok. I'd rather just keep my own but I do get the point. Pickin' brass takes time.

Where I shoot clays there are some berms where concealed carry qualifiers are held.  I stop by after busting clays and usually find once-fired revolver rounds.  I picked up enough 38 Specials this morning for 12 stages at EOT.  Many have S&B headstamps.  I have to gently hand prime these.  Leaving them for the scouts at EOT is a good way to get rid of them.

10 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Starline has it at that price.   Says backordered but they shipping my order out in 2 days.  45’s are .22 each, $26 bucks for 120

Go across the country to shoot EoT... or go across town to shoot the state match.  Either one you want to "bring your A game", right?

Bringing ammo loaded in ??? fired brass does not equate to "A game". 

That's like shooting the match with your backup rifle that you haven't fired in years.

Heck, when a "big match" is coming up I clean my guns, shoot a local monthly and don't touch them again (other than to wipe them down) until stage 1 of said "big match".

Archived