SASS Wire Forum

WTB 45 cowboy special brass

I have had mine on order at Starline for over 3 months still waiting. Had to use case trimmer and make 100 out of 45’s for now. Scarce as primers it seems. 

2 hours ago, Will Burn Powder said:

I have had mine on order at Starline for over 3 months still waiting. Had to use case trimmer and make 100 out of 45’s for now. Scarce as primers it seems. 

Thought I would try here first before I started cutting. Know it’s kinda a long shot. 
LF. 

46 minutes ago, smokedawg SASS#60968 said:

I've got about 60 pieces of .45 Schofield brass if that works.  PM me.

Oh No! Not the Schofield brass!:)

What happens to all the 45 blank brass the mounted shooters shoot? Can it be cut down for cowboy special?

JFN

Howdy Pard

I’ll second the previous Pard’s suggestion: cut down existing 45 Colt or 45 Schofield to 45 Cowboy length.

Suggestion. It can be done with a hand trimmer but it’s s-l-o-w. Find a buddy or gunsmith with a lathe and in a short time you’ll have correct-length Cowboy brass. A buddy is a gunsmith with a lathe. I’d saved 45 brass with small rim splits. Took those plus some old, nondescript 45’s to him and in approx half a hour I had a good supply of Cowboy brass.  Side note: the same goes for shortening 44 mag/44 special to 44 Russian.

In the best of all worlds — remember those not-so-long-ago days post-Obama and pre-chicom virus? — Starline will be up and running and all sorts of brass will be abundant and readily available.

Keep posting in SASS Wire and you may get lucky. In the meantime you may wish to consider alternatives.

Good Shooting, Happy Trails, and Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

I just cut down some 44-40 brass to make basically 44 Russian. I made my own jig for my HF chopsaw, and then trimmed with a Forster case trimmer. Did 400 or so, using a bunch of split mouth cases that I was going to scrap anyway. Free brass! Not counting time and the blister on my hand from running the hand trimmer.

57 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I just cut down some 44-40 brass to make basically 44 Russian. I made my own jig for my HF chopsaw, and then trimmed with a Forster case trimmer. Did 400 or so, using a bunch of split mouth cases that I was going to scrap anyway. Free brass! Not counting time and the blister on my hand from running the hand trimmer.

How does that work? The rim on on a 44-40 (44 WCF) is considerably larger than a 44 Russian as is the base of the case. Have you ever actually loaded one of those cut-down 44-40 cases and chambered it in a .44 Russian cylinder ?

.44 Mag or .44 Spec could easily be trimmed down to .44 Russian but a 44-40 is a whole nother animal.

I am going to shoot them in a 44-40 chamber. I was using 44 Russian brass but think this will work better as far as sealing. Although the 44 Russian brass worked fine, actually, with BP loads. 

• 1 month later...

As of this moment you can backorder 45CS at starlinebrass.com.  Haven't even been able to place a backorder for a while.  I placed a backorder months ago.  It seemed to go nowhere and then they contacted me for payment to ship last week. 

If you are looking for brass they said keep your on eye the web site daily and order, or backorder as appropriate.  They are filling backorders first when they get around to each caliber but it may take a while for some.

Starline contacted me last week about my backordered 44-40 brass, but I passed on it as I have switched to my 44 cowboy shorts for pistols. Figured I'd let some else take it.

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Starline contacted me last week about my backordered 44-40 brass, but I passed on it as I have switched to my 44 cowboy shorts for pistols. Figured I'd let some else take it.

They called me about my back ordered 45 cowboy specials, I ask them about 44-40 she said have to keep watching the website.

Slim you can get your back order and ship it to me :) I even have the 45 cowboy specials coming to trade if you like :)

• 2 weeks later...

Grafs.com has 100pc bags 45 special in stock.

Buffaloarms.com has starline 45 special for sale also. Little cheaper than Starline but never heard of them or ever done business with them. They've got some good prices if they are a good sight.

I just received my order of them today that were ordered last week after I saw here on the wire that they were available. Even had to send order snail mail as I had a gift certificate.

Archived