SASS Wire Forum

325 verses 625

Trigger Mike

The other day I posted about my favorite 357.  Today I want to debate which is the best revolver between the S & W 325 and 625.

Both shoot 45 acp.  Both are excellent quality.   Both are very accurate.   Both shoot fast.  One is the Jerry Miculek version and the other the Thunder Ranch version.   

One is more traditional and the other follows the tactical angle.   My 16 year old loves the Thunder Ranch version better.   I can't decide for myself.  

Based on the number, a325 is an Airlite. Not Airweight, AirLITE. It should be made of scandium or titanium or some other extremely lightweight metal. Be very nice and easy to carry. And if you ever had to pull it and shoot somebody you probably would not even feel the recoil.

But I shoot paper much more often than I shoot people. While I have never shot an Airlite N frame, I have shot several Airlite J frames.  I own a pair of titanium 32 magnums.

2017276554_331AirLite32HRTi-1.thumb.jpg.6c72b4782c16be3893f0147a97eca203.jpg

1852220328_332AirliteTi32HRMagnumright.jpg.b38570f62f2afa1646c88aab515c5bed.jpg

They are a joy carry. They are painful to shoot. Logic says a titanium 45 would be even more ppainful

I'm going to go with the 625. I really like mine.

826952613_625-2Modelof198845ACPleft.thumb.jpg.1ae2c7c39653df514ae394632f351970.jpg

Never had a chance to handle the 325, its light weigh would really make it a joy to carry.  I do own the 625 in 3-4 and 5 inch    Shot the 4inch the most and one of my favorites.  ICORE was a great pastime but seemed to fall by the way when SASS grew up here     GW

Lightweight magnums or +P+ are strictly a shtf piece, not a range gun. With the way the adrenaline is pumping in a gunfight the discomfort involved is secondary. I will shoot light loads on the range with them but the last dozen rounds or so will be full house to aid in muscle memory in case of a bad situation.

Apparently both guns you are asking about are mo longer in production, so if you have a line on purchasing one or the other or both you might want to consider buying because it may be hard to get later on. 

I’ve had both. Still have my 625. Mine is in 45 colt. The 325 was acp. I take the 625 anyday. With the right holster the 625 is more than bearable for carry once you get used to it and way better for shooting

Archived