SASS Wire Forum

First Garand - The kid got lucky...!

Cousin's young son reeeally wanted a Garand.  So, he saved up, did everything to qualify, and ordered a Service Grade IHC from the CMP last March, just days before they removed the IHC's from the availability list.

I'd like to say that he waited patiently; but the reality is, at 21 years of age, it's mighty hard to be patient when waiting for an M1.  But he internalized his frustrations.  Well... not exactly... actually, his Dad absorbed a bunch of it while kindly preaching patience to the lad.  He did call the nice lady at the CMP about six months after his order went in, just to verify that it had been received and politely inquired of its status; he even mentioned to the nice lady that he wanted it because his grand-dad had carried one in the Army, and he intended to keep it forever. (Many, many Garands are being "flipped" these days)

Well, after seven months it arrived!  Sorta.  It had to be shipped to a dealer for the ten day California Confinement.  But the kid got to visit it when he completed the California paperwork.

I think he done good.

Finish on the metal parts is uniform.  The stock (all pieces are dark but match), receiver (1953), bolt, front and rear sights, trigger group, and trigger guard are all IHC.  The barrel is a correct LMR (1/54), and is tagged Muzzle 1+, Throat 2.

Needless to say, the kid is delighted.  I wish I could remember the last time I was that happy!  ^_^

No photo description available.

I just got a Winchester service grade last week. Pretty much same condition. I had ordered a field grade “all that was available in a Winchester at the time” and they went out of stock also. They offered me a service grade if I wanted to pay the additional $100 . Maybe they are finally starting to catch up. I know the North and South stores are still closed so everyone can work on mail orders . I hear there’s no plans to re open until at least next year .

Last I saw on the website they are only selling field grade Springfield/H&R or specials with pitted receivers . 
I now have one of each mfg . I’m telling myself I’m done now 

Congratulations to your nephew Hardpan. :D

Glad he did get the IHC he was hoping for. I remember when you first posted about this and I remember looking on the CMP page and not seeing a lot of options. 

Congratulations to him.  A real good find for him.   

Back in 2006 my wife drove our then two children who were 2 and 1 at the time to the south store.  There was a major thunderstorm and a wrecked semi to make it through.  

Back then if i signed a letter authorizing an agent to pick up a rifle , they could for me. 

She made that drive to get me my Christmas present.  A service grade winchester m1 carbine and my favorite garand, a correct grade H & R.   I have no plans to sell either,  if I can help it.  

When my oldest son was 4 he went with me to the south store and he picked out a rack grade underwood m1 carbine that he later , when he was 12, shot his first deer with.  

My dad bought his Garand in the 1960s from a surplus house. 1943 Winchester receiver, SA everything else, arsenal refurbed in the 1950s and probably not fired much afterwards. I first shot it when I was 14, and remember being nearly knocked over.

12 years ago my dad passed and the Garand has been mine since. It's hard to take it out of the safe or go shoot it and not be reminded of my dad, since shooting was one of the few dad-son things we ever did.

It must have been at least 25 years ago that I bought my Garand from DCM/CMP.  Everybody would probably gag if they saw what I paid for it back then.  I had never bought a semiauto rifle before because PA doesn't allow them for deer hunting but that was too good a deal to pass up.  They will have to take it from my cold, dead hand because I am never selling it.

By golly now I'm glad he got it, and delighted to read your account!
Well done indeed!

I got one or the H&R Garands that came in from Greece a number of years back the metal was excellent the bore really nice looking. The upper handguard was off color so I replaced it with one made from the same wood as the stock and it looks great. Shoots nice too. I carried an M1 in high school Jr. ROTC in my junior year. My senior year they changed to M14s. I didn't like them as much to march with.

Archived