SASS Wire Forum

Dillon Powder Check Alarm Surgery

Buckshot Bear

Very good.  Is the new one a beeper or a buzzer?  The last couple of Dillon's I have purchased have high pitched tones that I cannot hear very well.  Would like to convert them to a loud buzz.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Very good.  Is the new one a beeper or a buzzer?  The last couple of Dillon's I have purchased have high pitched tones that I cannot hear very well.  Would like to convert them to a loud buzz.

This is a fairly loudish buzzer but a completely different pitch than the Dillon primer alarm. The powder alarm hasn't worked for a couple of months so I can't remember Larson if both the  Dillon powder and primer alarms were the same now.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

This is a fairly loudish buzzer but a completely different pitch than the Dillon primer alarm. The powder alarm hasn't worked for a couple of months so I can't remember Larson if both the  Dillon powder and primer alarms were the same now.

Mine are very close to the same pitch. I cannot distinguish them.  

It's easy to get use to & not really hear the alarm, much like you get used to a Granddaddy clock bonging on the hour. I watch the pointer on every pull of the handle, which has worked well for me on both the 650 & the 1050.

I was also in same boat hearing the buzzer and I then tapped a small light bulb fixture to it and works great.

See attached photos of alarm with small light.

PWR Check alarm.jpg

PWR Checklight.jpg

was going to get it real snarky and point out a phone call to Dillon would have a new alarm on the way toot sweet.  Then remembered the OP is in OZ.  Take a century to get there.

did something similar with my low primer warning.

gutted it and replaced with 9 v buzzer and flashing light something like this:  https://evandesigns.com/products/universal-flashing-leds-for-transformers

since my hearing is pretty much gone the light is a nice way to warn me to cash in my kids' college fund to buy more primers--if I can find them

Actually what I was thinking of is the beeper in the powder measure warning sensor.  These are at such a high tone I can't hear them most of the time.  The light does not do much good as it is on top of the machine and outside my peripheral vision.  The powder charge sensor for powder in the shell casing I solved years ago with an RCBS Lock Out Die.  The buzzer in the powder measure sensor is very small.  Any ideas on a louder buzzer?

DSC_0002.jpeg

Well if there is a newer buzzer I would like to hear same with out a bunch of wires to fool around with.

I will attempt to place a bulb on the front side maybe can see better Larsen.

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Actually what I was thinking of is the beeper in the powder measure warning sensor.  These are at such a high tone I can't hear them most of the time.  The light does not do much good as it is on top of the machine and outside my peripheral vision.  The powder charge sensor for powder in the shell casing I solved years ago with an RCBS Lock Out Die.  The buzzer in the powder measure sensor is very small.  Any ideas on a louder buzzer?

DSC_0002.jpeg

I had an older SDB and the primer buzzer was a loud medium tone buzz, maybe you could find one of those and adapt it. I can't hear the alarms on the 550's at all.

kR

6 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

was going to get it real snarky and point out a phone call to Dillon would have a new alarm on the way toot sweet.  Then remembered the OP is in OZ.  Take a century to get there.

@Colorado Coffinmaker Snarky's ok....I ain't no snowflake :)

It may be different in the US, but Dillon Australia definitely state "Dillon USA Technical Support (800) 223-4570 ALL ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS IN DILLON EQUIPMENT ARE COVERED BY A ONE-YEAR WARRANTY".

7 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

I was also in same boat hearing the buzzer and I then tapped a small light bulb fixture to it and works great.

See attached photos of alarm with small light.

PWR Check alarm.jpg

PWR Checklight.jpg

Damn that's a good idea!

If you are going to wire a light, you might as well wire it so the light is right in your face while you are loading, so there is even less of a chance of missing it.  

You can even make it a small board right on the front of the press with lights for each of the alarms.

Running a shock wire to the handle may be going a little too far... :D

14 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The powder charge sensor for powder in the shell casing I solved years ago with an RCBS Lock Out Die.

I LOVE my RCBS Lockout die!! It is fabulous! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

For those looking to change out what they have or add a powder check, here is another option.

The DAA Magnetic Powder Check 2.0 is activated off the top rim of the case rather than the base of the shell plate, this means that no alarm will sound if no case is present. The powder sensing plunger (now with brass shoe) enters into the case mouth to rest on top of the charge and measure its height, sounding an alarm if the  powder level is either too low or too high. It provides both an audible beep alarm as well as a bright red LED light when triggered.

The DAA Magnetic Powder Check 2.0 includes a replacement short plunger, suitable for use with rifle ammo. When using for rifle, simply replace the plunger, and assemble the steel rod upside down, using the end without the brass shoe to enter into the small case mouth. Parts included make this suitable to use with all pistol ammo (9mm and up) and for rifle from .223 and larger.

DAA Powder Check

Archived