SASS Wire Forum

What's with the Warning for California Residents blurb????

Buckshot Bear

Prop 65 was a law passed in California to warn consumers that products were potentially harmful.  In typical fashion it ended up being applied to almost every product due to what was on the list of cancer causing chemicals.  Completely removing any relevance to the consumer and is routinely ignored.   Good intentions, but completely corrupted.  

Prop 65 from many years ago.

As result,every place of business and every product shipped to the zone carries the potential cancer warning.  As a result, the warning is really meaningless.

There is no distinction between occupational exposure to asbestos and the char on a good steak.

The warning is concerned about "cancer, birth defects, and 'other reproductive harm'", as per the warning label, at the top of this Post.

I don't mind (too much) a warning label (I even appreciate a warning from a rattle snake), but as has been stated, if it covers tons of things, then, given some time, it is likely going to be ignored, and that is, evidently, what has happened. I see warning labels, all the time, stating that California has determined that this product, or that product, may cause cancer...yada, yada, yada.  

Obviously, since I do not live there, and will never live there, I could not care less about what "they" determine. 

Let's just hope that they don't expand their "concerns about cancer, birth defects, and 'other reproductive harm'", to the born, like they have to the unborn!

As the old song, by Hank Williams, states: "No matter how I struggle, and strive...I'll never get out of this world alive".

9 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

if it covers tons of things, then, given some time, it is likely going to be ignored

Exactly.  It is on virtually all nonfood products and quite a few food products.  It has become meaningless.  A couple of years ago a judge ruled that coffee didn't have to carry a Prop 65 warning because a person would have to drink about ten gallons of strong coffee every day to have it be a problem.

Outside of a few urban enclaves it is a joke to us.

2 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Prop 65 was a law passed in California to warn consumers that products were potentially harmful.  In typical fashion it ended up being applied to almost every product due to what was on the list of cancer causing chemicals.  Completely removing any relevance to the consumer and is routinely ignored.   Good intentions, but completely corrupted.  

NOT good intensions.  It's another way, however minor, that California is attempting to gain control and influence every other state in the union.

21 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

NOT good intensions.  It's another way, however minor, that California is attempting to gain control and influence every other state in the union.

Sorry, Forty, but I gotta disagree.  It's not an attempt to gain control ~ the mindless clods had done gone and gotten control!  :(

Buckshot, Prop 65 is one of a long list of mindless, idiotic things that the "controlling party" (approximately 75% of the legislature) have imposed upon the common man in this state; another example of my earlier observation that no matter what cockamamie idea one of 'em proposes, they're guaranteed passage by their "mutual admiration and support society."

Jackasses.

The same "asphalt jungle" denizens who made it a requirement to have a background check to buy ammunition (and many related restrictions), wait ten days to "cool off" before taking possession of a firearm, banned us from hunting with any ammunition containing lead (and soon target shooting), and are now outlawing the sale of gasoline powered lawn mowers, rototillers, chainsaws, weedeaters, leaf blowers, generators, welders, and any number of tools critical to "getting the job done."

Why?  Why, to save the world from Global Warming!  Er... 'scuse me.  "Climate Change."  Seems they couldn't come up with any tangible, realistic evidence of that warming thing.

But back to that Prop 65 thing.  It's what everyone above has said... and it's a total joke.  I recall the day my son came home with something he'd bought at the auto supply store - they'd even stuck a Prop 65 sticker on the receipt.

Oh - and do NOT eat or suck on your cell phone.  According to the State of California, it might cause cancer.  Same applies to your golf clubs, too.  <_<

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Geez.....I really hope it doesn't start down here :( 

Stay vigilant~!!    

Willy Wonka - Always Be Vigilant!

I think the Warning should read.

Kalifornia is a Cancer to America.

Known to bring freedom down .

Known to  cause defects in  Voters  if you move there.

Get out if you can .

Brought to you by infected America.

8 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Another "boy who cried wolf"

That’s a great point! No one will take these seriously even if it’s warranted.

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

It is on everything.

I think I saw it on a box of Cheerios once.

It's on Cabbage Patch Kids dolls, too.<_<

Come to think of it, it's on pert near everything.

Buckshot, it's just more useless tree-hugger inspired nanny state BS that makes some bureaucrat in CA feel like he actually wasn't shorted in the Wedding Tackle department after all.

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sorry, Forty, but I gotta disagree.  It's not an attempt to gain control ~ the mindless clods had done gone and gotten control!  :(

Buckshot, Prop 65 is one of a long list of mindless, idiotic things that the "controlling party" (approximately 75% of the legislature) have imposed upon the common man in this state; another example of my earlier observation that no matter what cockamamie idea one of 'em proposes, they're guaranteed passage by their "mutual admiration and support society."

Jackasses.

The same "asphalt jungle" denizens who made it a requirement to have a background check to buy ammunition (and many related restrictions), wait ten days to "cool off" before taking possession of a firearm, banned us from hunting with any ammunition containing lead (and soon target shooting), and are now outlawing the sale of gasoline powered lawn mowers, rototillers, chainsaws, weedeaters, leaf blowers, generators, welders, and any number of tools critical to "getting the job done."

Why?  Why, to save the world from Global Warming!  Er... 'scuse me.  "Climate Change."  Seems they couldn't come up with any tangible, realistic evidence of that warming thing.

But back to that Prop 65 thing.  It's what everyone above has said... and it's a total joke.  I recall the day my son came home with something he'd bought at the auto supply store - they'd even stuck a Prop 65 sticker on the receipt.

Oh - and do NOT eat or suck on your cell phone.  According to the State of California, it might cause cancer.  Same applies to your golf clubs, too.  <_<

Disagree all you want, but they don't have control of everything outside of California, and they are pushing to force their crap on everyone else in the country.  Unfortunately, they are succeeding by forcing manufacturers of almost everything to put their useless warnings on anything that is sold in their state.  The manufacturers do it just so they can keep the California market without the hassle and expense of not putting it on the product for the other 49 states.  If they did they would be subject to lawsuits if one of their unmarked products ends up in California, maybe because some tourist brought it in unknowingly or a soldier had it with him when he got reassigned to some California post.  Those kinds of suits will bankrupt or destroy the reputation of  a lot of companies even they suit is not found to be valid.

Funny everything else has to be labeled "may cause cancer", but the air we breath causes cancer as well.  I guess they will have to start dropping warnings from planes...

image.png.99216df80db6bcf4049f8e12b22f5931.png

I may have to get a new bushing for my 45, just in the interest of full disclosure:

image.png.235c074ff32a5400cd1300b65b578525.png

4 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Do they have PROP 65 on Condoms???:wub:

Yes, and on birth control pills. They both cause reproductive harm. Kind of the purpose of the products, but rules are rules.

And if even only the packaging for a product falls under prop 65, then the label requirement still applies. Even though you will throw it away.

Further, since there are almost 1,000 chemicals on the list and most manufacturers have no control over the raw ingredients for any product they make (or the packaging for them), any product going to California is almost guaranteed to carry the notice just to keep the lawyers at bay.

One thing I consider important in any discussion of prop 65 is to remember it was a proposition voted on by the populace, not legislation crafted by a deliberative body. Prop 65 is an example of what happens under mob rule. It is a well-intentioned screwup.

27 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Further, since there are almost 1,000 chemicals on the list and most manufacturers have no control over the raw ingredients for any product they make (or the packaging for them), any product going to California is almost guaranteed to carry the notice just to keep the lawyers at bay.

That is exactly correct.  Our multi national corporation made the decision to add the label to absolutely everything.  It is cheaper than tracking down what (if any) products actually contain materials on "the list".  There are 995 substances on the list dated 19-Mar-21.  These include everything from chemicals I wouldn't even try to pronounce to everyday items like Aspirin, Alcoholic Beverages, Carbon Monoxide, Cocaine (you think the dealers are adding the Prop 65 label), Exhaust from gas engines, Lead, leather dust, Malathion (anybody remember the malathion helicopters around Los Angeles), Marijuana smoke, Mustard gas (no kidding), NIckle (the metal), Nitrous Oxide, oral contraceptives, used engine oil, testosterone :blink:, tobacco, tetracycline (and so many other medicines I know I have had at one time or another), wood dust.  Wanna really blow your mind, look up the full list....

2 minutes ago, Dakota Brown said:

you got it, sir, marijuana is legal

but marijuana smoke is on the prop 65 list!

On 10/31/2021 at 6:33 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

What's with the Warning for California Residents blurb that is see on literally EVERYTHING now ????

Capture.JPG.39dbb571c38eeb0cdbc966a05d2c8b7d.JPG

By the way, I have one of those primer tools from RCBS and I like it very much. 

On 11/1/2021 at 12:10 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

as a person who has spent too many hours looking at BOMs to determine if our parts needed a sticker or not, the company should have taken my advice and just slapped the stupid sticker on every single box that goes out the door because the charcoal black in the ink on the box could cause cancer and just be done with it.  Countless dollars and moments of our lives could have been saved.

49 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

as a person who has spent too many hours looking at BOMs to determine if our parts needed a sticker or not, the company should have taken my advice and just slapped the stupid sticker on every single box that goes out the door because the charcoal black in the ink on the box could cause cancer and just be done with it.  Countless dollars and moments of our lives could have been saved.

One of our customers who has us make 6 little threaded brass parts every 2 months requires RE ACH an RoHS statements with every delivery.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:28 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

The warning is concerned about "cancer, birth defects, and 'other reproductive harm'", as per the warning label, at the top of this Post.

I don't mind (too much) a warning label (I even appreciate a warning from a rattle snake), but as has been stated, if it covers tons of things, then, given some time, it is likely going to be ignored, and that is, evidently, what has happened. I see warning labels, all the time, stating that California has determined that this product, or that product, may cause cancer...yada, yada, yada.  

Obviously, since I do not live there, and will never live there, I could not care less about what "they" determine. 

Let's just hope that they don't expand their "concerns about cancer, birth defects, and 'other reproductive harm'", to the born, like they have to the unborn!

As the old song, by Hank Williams, states: "No matter how I struggle, and strive...I'll never get out of this world alive".

its become kinda a joke , has no meaning save to make the state look like its full of fanatic's without any sense of reality 

12 minutes ago, watab kid said:

its become kinda a joke , has no meaning save to make the state look like its full of fanatic's without any sense of reality 

The company, I used to work for, had quite a few meetings, to try and convince us that we mattered, and what we thought was important. They emphasized that we need to: speak up, if you have an idea, or a suggestion, or perhaps a better way of doing something. We were born at night, but not last night.

We knew better than to speak up...all that would lead to was a buttock-chewing "meeting" with your supervisor, who was afraid to make waves, and afraid that what we said would make him look bad. All they were doing, was trying to make us think we had an actual input in company decisions. Horse S....err...feathers! 

All they care about is their perceived image, and to keep some Federal bureaucracy happy, and to stay off their radar. 

The managers and supervisors, in our company, all went to the biden school of leadership, I have to believe. Some of them even fell asleep during meetings.

Archived