SASS Wire Forum

Star percussion cap dispenser.

Warden Callaway

Before J-Bar straightened me out on the Ted Cash capper,   I stumbled onto a 3D printed star cap deal that looked too good to not take a chance.  Instead of the something like $5 for one and shipping from Europe,  was $4.95 and made and shipped from a maker in California. $8.44 total. And for 6 - not 1!

I've just tried it on this Ruger Old Army and it works great.  I'll give a field test report here as soon as I get back out shooting. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1012805539/percussion-cap-dispenser-1011-black?ref=lx_share

651830928_capperstarOctober2021.jpg.54fe4c59193d95fd1b2a40ff21c92ede.jpg

I like it.

My only (small) reservation would be using thumb pressure to completely seat the cap.

Using the star to get the cap started, then completing the seating with the usual push stick should be safe.

Thanks for posting the alternative.

20 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

My only (small) reservation would be using thumb pressure to completely seat the cap.

I used enough force (not much) to get the cap on the nipple and pull the dispenser away.   Somewhat like using the Ted Cash.  I have a nice deer antler pusher to fully seat the caps.

I intended to get out today and shoot the ROA some but the weather was nasty.  

Not to throw cold water on the hot idea (yes I am), but it only takes a few seconds of “shake, rattle and roll” to load a Ted Cash  capper and be good for the whole day.

For 6 stage CAS match you’d need to carefully lose and tote Twelve of those things.  Much more time consuming than stuffing a single Ted Cash snail.  Not my cup of tea you betcha.

Just finished a two day match this weekend shooting frontiersman. I would not have wanted to mess with loading that capper(s) and then carrying them in my bag. I see no advantage over a Ted Cash snail capper. 

Some like to pre-load extra cylinders, bring pre-loaded vials of powder etc. To me, the fewer gadgets I’m messing with, the happier I am. 

That’s the thing about frontiersman, 100 shooters will have 100 ways to approach it. :)

+1 to CC & AS, sure wish I would've had mine @ EOT, my caps wouldn't have gotten wet that last day!  Dump a tin of caps in, use a pocket screw driver to flip 'em all the right way, add a few extra, all set for ten stages.  Plus when capping, just place the cap, flip it over and use the 'tail' to seat the cap,  The antler "push" stick is tied to it by  a short piece of latigo and makes retrieval from the vest pocket a snap!

I understand about getting old.  Anything new and different is automatically suspected as being not a good thing.

I used the 3d star capper today and it worked a peach.  Caps went on with no fuss. Easy to use. 

1296879421_RugerOldArmyandcapholderNovember2021.jpg.8f0f6c5fbd9d6a629ecda373c548c332.jpg

I figure preload a match quantity and put them in a container. Or even a small sandwich bag.

I see the star cappers as a frontiersman's version of the load blocks, take two with you to the line, load five on each cylinder, have 2 spares in case of misfire.  advantage on these style, mine is the Polish Capper version is I can cap on the next up chamber and not worry about cylinder indexing if I want to .

Archived