SASS Wire Forum

Irregular heartbeat

Irregular heartbeat.  Do you have it?  I’ve had it since I was a kid.  Tick, tick, tick pause pause wham hard tick pause and back to normal. Didn’t happen often, maybe once every three months or so.  Have seen 5 or 6 cardiologists over the years, been on multiple monitors and always told that I don’t have a problem.  Recently was diagnosed with diabetes. A1C-12. Cholesterol off the charts. 

So, I’m seeing my PA the other day and he checks my heart.  Well, Mr Bell, I’m calling an ambulance. “ your heart is all over the place, skipping beats changing pressures”. I actually felt great, for a change, yeah I’d had a few cups of coffee, and my pressures were dancing around 192/93 but I felt good.  I refused the ambulance and went home with another referral for cardiology. ( wonder if anything will be different) 

Honestly I like this PA. He is the first to confirm my Hollywood heart. Dances with hip hop. 

Anyone else have these problems? Suggestion from life’s experiences? Starting to worry.

Dad passed at 90.

Had all his health issues after 80.

He had a pacemaker put in at about 83...

He went to Dr. after a bought of 'fighting for breath' one Sunday, Memorial Weekend...drove himself to the Dr. the Tues after...

He had had a small heart attack (signs he had several in prior years)...

So, he got the pacemaker.

My question to you...how long does your family want you around?

Follow through with the Dr.

8 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

My question to you...how long does your family want you around?

Singing Sue. That’s a morbid question. Lol. Maybe my problem

had a stroke in 2003 ar Sturgis. Two shoulder and one hip replacements diagnosed with osteoporosis. Can’t get pain meds any more and all the drugs they give me don’t help.. I’m used to the pain now. Sleep aleast two to three hours a days. I’m not complaining. I have veterans friends that wish they had my life.  

What im looking for is those who have found their peace with Family. I want them to quit worrying. How do I let them know I feel fine. What comes, comes. I feel as though I’ll live long enough.  In 2003 I died in my wives arms. Gone for over 5 minutes.  She’s in the med field and knows full well what happened. I’m satisfied with my future. I guess I’m looking for others who have similar problems that are also not worried. Sorry. I guess this is a weird post to most .  Too bad

20 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Irregular heartbeat.  Do you have it?  I’ve had it since I was a kid.  Tick, tick, tick pause pause wham hard tick pause and back to normal. Didn’t happen often, maybe once every three months or so.  Have seen 5 or 6 cardiologists over the years, been on multiple monitors and always told that I don’t have a problem.  Recently was diagnosed with diabetes. A1C-12. Cholesterol off the charts. 

So, I’m seeing my PA the other day and he checks my heart.  Well, Mr Bell, I’m calling an ambulance. “ your heart is all over the place, skipping beats changing pressures”. I actually felt great, for a change, yeah I’d had a few cups of coffee, and my pressures were dancing around 192/93 but I felt good.  I refused the ambulance and went home with another referral for cardiology. ( wonder if anything will be different) 

Honestly I like this PA. He is the first to confirm my Hollywood heart. Dances with hip hop. 

Anyone else have these problems? Suggestion from life’s experiences? Starting to worry.

Dude!  Get thyself to that cardiologist ASAP!!  (And welcome to MY world, by the way...)

And prepare for some significant lifestyle changes - and prepare yourself to ultimately feeling better than you've ever felt.

Your history sounds just like mine.  Cardiologists since my teens; even flunked my Air Force physical 'cuz of Mr Pump.  Had one bad event in my early 20's. 

But it finally reached a point in my mid 60's, with a middle of the night ER visit and a couple days in the cardiac ward, and those aforementioned lifestyle changes.  With one subsequent middle of the night ER visit about a year ago.  And by the way... my numbers were not as extreme as yours.  In fact, my cholesterol has historically been notably low.

TFJ mentioned Metropolol; I take that twice a day as well as a hatful of other meds and feel great; last month's annual physical went well (but with the doc's annual "watch the weight" comment).

Be thankful for your PA.  And thank him for that referral.

Hang in, Trapper, and best to ya!  ;)            

You may feel fine now but you should have taken your doctors advice.

Good Cowboy friend had a stroke due to high BP a few weeks ago. He survived but has both long and short term memory issues, can't remember the names of friends and family, is having to learn to walk again and at this point may never be able to safely shoot a match again.

Before all this he was working full time, the MD for one club, and wrote stages for another. Now who knows. We are praying for him and his wife. 

Dying is one thing. Surviving and ending up not being able to care for yourself is another. GO SEE THE DOC!

48 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Singing Sue. That’s a morbid question. Lol. Maybe my problem

had a stroke in 2003 ar Sturgis. Two shoulder and one hip replacements diagnosed with osteoporosis. Can’t get pain meds any more and all the drugs they give me don’t help.. I’m used to the pain now. Sleep aleast two to three hours a days. I’m not complaining. I have veterans friends that wish they had my life.  

What im looking for is those who have found their peace with Family. I want them to quit worrying. How do I let them know I feel fine. What comes, comes. I feel as though I’ll live long enough.  In 2003 I died in my wives arms. Gone for over 5 minutes.  She’s in the med field and knows full well what happened. I’m satisfied with my future. I guess I’m looking for others who have similar problems that are also not worried. Sorry. I guess this is a weird post to most .  Too bad

Now you GOT WHERE YOU WERE GOING with your post. ;)

So...Dad did not go to Dr. often. At 86, was still driving from Northern NM to Corpus Christi, Tx (and everywhere between)

was still laying rock/stone.

He hurt...he had both knees done at 82...one in Dec, drove to Corpus 1 week later, returned Feb 1 and had second knee done on VD !!!

He knew he had to keep going, to take care of momma. (Who was also active in her 86th year, up to the very week she passed)

After she passes, he still lived alone, stopped driving, would do his basic needs...and waited.

3 years must have seen an eternity to him, without momma.

Anyway, yes. He was set...he was ready...hecwas not going to go to any extra measure.

He and I talked about life and passing. I knew his wishes, what and where and how he wanted things.

I miss him, but gladcwe talked.

Sounds like you talked with family too.

I pray I have many years left...but my family knows where I stand on all the extra stuff.

My opinion...if I will improve WITHOUT a doubt with a procedure, then I will do it.

If it is just going to prolong my life, without improving it...I pass.

Prayers up!

I guess it does seem a bit morbid to some...

But death is part of life...it should be talked about in families.

Advances in medicine have made chances for a longer, healthier life possible for you and many others.

Don't turn your back on it!

As a prostate cancer survivor and the recipient of life saving heart surgery, when I was 16, I'm now close to 78, thanks to health science and doctors, I'm telling you:

GET YOUR BUTT TO THE CARDIOLOGIST!

Had a heart murmur for years as well.  I even fail an ekg sometimes.   Also have diabetes and high blood pressure.   My ekg on a treadmill always gets better so they never do anything.   

Mine also comes and goes.   Heart doc even cut my blood pressure meds recently.   My dr also cut back some of my diabetes meds .  He gave me a continuous monitor and now I have a lower A1C.  When my sugar goes high I walk or do push-ups.   

I’m also on metoprolol. In addition, I now take atorvastatin for cholesterol and metformin for my a1c. I’m hoping to get my appointment with the cardiologist today.

One thing that puzzles the doc about my diabetes is that I’m under weight 5’8” and 158 pounds. I already eat a good diet due to acute pancreatitis. I have always avoided sweets. 

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. 

I have an occasional issue such as you described. Sometimes it feels like a hard beat against a closed valve. Went to the doc and he wasn't impressed with me at all. The insurance company is refusing to pay anything because I declined the ambulance. Sooo.... I will never go to another doctor again. Ever. I'm done. I made peace with it. My wife? Not so much.

I went to the doc because occasionally it felt like my heart I was skipping a beat accompanied by shortness of breath. After an exam, ECG and and stress test by the cardiologist, I was told it was a condition called PAC, Premature Atrial Contraction. Not dangerous or painful. Just occasionally a weird feeling. Kinda scary though.

Hasn’t cropped up again for several years.

Sound like your PA definitely did the right thing! The pump is nothing to ignore if it’s sending out supignals!

Usually, premature atrial contractions have no clear cause and no health risks. In most cases, premature atrial contractions aren’t a sign of heart disease and just happen naturally.

OK Tom ... listen up ...

If you don't think you can die you won't be the first. 

My wife went to the same PCP for years … AND … always seemed to have the same problems that never got resolved.
I urged her to try someone else … if for no other reason … simply because there was never any improvement. 
She would occasionally get dizzy … nauseated and would lay down and then be OK. 
Her doctor gave her medication for vertigo and sea sickness.

Everytime she went for a checkup they would check her blood pressure and do an EKG.

One morning … about ten years ago I heard a thump in the hallway and a few minutes later she was calling my name. 
I found her in the hallway where she had fallen … her glasses resting against a wall almost 15 feet away.
She was conscious and didn't want to go to the hospital w/o getting herself presentable but I couldn't stop the bleeding and told her we needed to go … and to go quickly. She went into surgery immediately and a pacemaker was installed.

I had the opportunity later to overhear her new doctors reviewing some of her previous EKGs … and they were saying things like "holy cow … what does it take … someone to drop dead in his waiting room??" …
She told me (after a subsequent follow up visit … 6mos or so) that her new doctor said he was sorry she had taken such a bad fall .. but … if that had not happened … (providing the opportunity to get proper care) … she would probably not be here.

We spent a lot of time wondering what could have happened if that event had occurred while she was driving or had been somewhere other than in our own home … or if she had been  alone.

These new devices are so modern … bluetooth etc … Has it's own in home communication link (sends data to her doctors etc).
She has been event free since … and life has been great .. AND … it is something no one should ever have to worry about in this day and age … 

Don’t put off getting this squared away (takes about two hours of your time to get one these days).  

I have one those. Have for about 25 years or so.  Bradychardia and PVC's. Cardiologist dismissed any significant underlying conditions, although I have about 25-35 episodes per day.

Archived