SASS Wire Forum

Four-door pickup trucks

Alpo

I have a two door. The seat back leans forward, giving you access to three or four inches of storage between the back of the seat and the back wall of the cab.

I just wondered if a four-door, two seat truck does the same. Does the back seat's back lean forward giving that extra little bit of storage, or did they decide that you've got an entire back seat for storage, and don't need that extra four inches?

51 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I have a two door. The seat back leans forward, giving you access to three or four inches of storage between the back of the seat and the back wall of the cab.

I just wondered if a four-door, two seat truck does the same. Does the back seat's back lean forward giving that extra little bit of storage, or did they decide that you've got an entire back seat for storage, and don't need that extra four inches?

Both our Chevy and Dodge do.

many years back I got my first extended cab , from then on all my trucks were excab until I got a 4 door 

now I got 2 of em , figure from now on they will be full size 4 doors , lots more room than the extended cabs 

trade off is I have a 5 1/2 ft bed instead of a 8 ft 

CB 

I’ve been driving extended cabs for the last 30 years. Every time I see a regular cab, they look odd to me unless they are pre 60s

I have a 2015 F-150 and the bottom of the seat flips up and there is storage there.  There is also a latch behind the seat so you can fold the seat forward and access the small amount of space behind the seat.  With so much room in the back seat area, I've never found the need for the 4 inch behind the seat.  

I drove an extended cab Chevy for 12 years.  The seats on the rear would fold up for extra storage, but I hated the"suicide" doors on the rear.  In 2017 I opted for a "crew cab".  The rear seats also fold up and I keep all kinds of stuff there.  The bed is a short bed with a camper top on it.  It's got all the bells and whistles of a luxury SUV but with a really big trunk!  Great vehicle for long travels.

I don't think I could ever go back to a "regular" cab.

2 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I should have added , I got 2 single cabs , 2 extended cabs and 2 4 doors 

ya might think I be a pickup man :P

CB 

........ nope, .... just greedy ......   ;)

I have a 2005 Silverado crew cab. Not really designed for storage behind the rear seats. The passenger side will fold down if you jump thru a couple of hoops. That's where the jack and tire tools live.

JHC

Hm. I still miss my two door no back seat 85 F150. But.

I have had two door, two and a half door and four door trucks over the years. Once I had a four door truck, I'll never settle for anything less. Unless I find an old two door Ford I like. Then I'll have one more! 

my 2005 Chev. is a 4 door with a 75 inch long box .

That is as short as I will go or it's just not a Truck.

Lot's of storage under the rear seat.

Jabez Cowboy 

I can’t abide a short bed. My old F250 V10 might be getting a camper top in the future if I decide to go Walkabout. Full bed makesth3 camper more commodious.

I have had four extended cab trucks since 1993. None had space behind the seats. All had space under the seat. My Jeep Gladiator actually as a box feature so items stay in place. It's big enough for shovels, rope, guns, snake tongs, hiking poles, etc.

On 10/31/2021 at 9:58 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.46c3cf617d3f8595e53c0b446d5eaf84.png

Sold my 2009 Tacoma with the suicide rear half doors and an 8 foot bed.

I bought a brand new Impala.

Stupid mistake.

Looking for a four door Tacoma, simple four door, four cylinder, two wheel drive utility go-to-the-hardware store light truck, but they are selling for more than I paid for the fully outfitted Impala almost exactly two years ago.....and there doesn't seem to be any such thing as a used one in this entire area.

I've been driving a RAM 2500 Crew Cab with 8 foot bed since 2015, wouldn't own a truck with a shorter bed,

and the crew cab is pretty handy when you take a few friends along, or just want to throw a few things in the back

and be able to lock them in (unlike a bed, even with a cover).

The rear seats fold up, and then have a drop down deck to provide a smooth flat deck in the rear, as well as hidden

storage beneath the floor mats.  There is no room behind the rear seats though, they're secured to the back bulkhead.

Only complaint I have about this rig is that since it's 4WD, and rigged for towing as well, it rides high, and as my

missus and I get a bit older we're finding the climb to get more tedious.  Sooner or later we'll trade for a lower seat height

but that's still a few years off.

SC

I don't want a four door, because they come with either a short bed, or are so damn long, I would be the guy trying to make a three-point turn at a U-Turn green light.  I value a standard size bed more than four doors.  I'm all good with an extended cab, as long as it has a full length bed.

On 10/31/2021 at 9:50 AM, Alpo said:

I have a 2014 F150 KR with the short box. Here's how the rear cab looks when I need extra cargo space...both seats pull up. 

DB:FlagAm:

See the source image

Archived