SASS Wire Forum

Another thought on 'why club matches are down'

Singin' Sue 71615

You know, something folks have not touched on is this:

More of us are RETIRED (or nearing that).

This means we are able to travel more...

We are nearing retirement...and with that many years, vacation also grows. We use the 5 weeks vacation...we go!

We normally go to other States to shoot matches, so we are 'counted absent' from monthly matches.

There is also the grandchild factor...where most of their functions are on weekends. Do you go to a monthly, or see kiddos?

One more factor?

Many, many 'new'/alternative clubs to visit, where there used to be one or two clubs in the area...now there are 3 or four.

Find a way to make folks WANT to shoot your club on a monthly basis.;)

Retired - YEP

Travel - Shot in seven states this year plus local monthly every week. 

Grandkids - Six grandkids ages 3-7 (all live within 20 minutes) so most activities are during the week. Kids know Papaw and Mamaw shoot on weekends so they plan things later in day so we can attend.

New clubs - Shot three new clubs this year. (New to us)

Our club was down at least 25% this year for various reasons but we'll be there for those that want to and can shoot.

5 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

You know, something folks have not touched on is this:

More of us are RETIRED (or nearing that).

This means we are able to travel more...

We are nearing retirement...and with that many years, vacation also grows. We use the 5 weeks vacation...we go!

We normally go to other States to shoot matches, so we are 'counted absent' from monthly matches.

There is also the grandchild factor...where most of their functions are on weekends. Do you go to a monthly, or see kiddos?

One more factor?

Many, many 'new'/alternative clubs to visit, where there used to be one or two clubs in the area...now there are 3 or four.

Find a way to make folks WANT to shoot your club on a monthly basis.;)

That seems a bit severe, Sue. 

11 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

That seems a bit severe, Sue. 

What is severe?

Many of us are at an age now, where children are grown, have some expendable income, ways and means to travel.

And there are, unfortunately, clubs that do not give me any reason to visit.

I don't see the severity.

Do you guys shoot more matches than once a month?

Our club is open 7 days a week and members get a key after one years membership (just need one other shooter for safety reasons) and can open the range up and shoot to their hearts content all day long and we have scheduled matches ISSF, IPSC & Air Pistol on Wednesday's Saturdays and Sundays.

We're hoping to shoot Single Action every Saturday morning when things get going.

We have an honesty system (money in a can) where a member can get a frozen pie or sausage roll and cold drink out of the club house freezer and fridge (solar power system)and warm them up in the microwave for morning tea or lunch or make a cup of coffee of tea. We've got a lot of facilities for our 56 members for a bush club in the middle of nowhere. Once all guns and ammo are packed up after a match we usually have a cold beer and the ladies a wine and sit around the outdoor eating area and shoot the breeze before leaving for home.

5 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

What is severe?

Many of us are at an age now, where children are grown, have some expendable income, ways and means to travel.

And there are, unfortunately, clubs that do not give me any reason to visit.

I don't see the severity.

Find a way to make folks WANT to shoot your club on a monthly basis?

That sounds severe to me. :)

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Do you guys shoot more matches than once a month?

Our club is open 7 days a week and members get a key after one years membership (just need one other shooter for safety reasons) and can open the range up and shoot to their hearts content all day long and we have scheduled matches ISSF, IPSC & Air Pistol on Wednesday's Saturdays and Sundays.

We're hoping to shoot Single Action every Saturday morning when things get going.

We have an honesty system (money in a can) where a member can get a frozen pie or sausage roll and cold drink out of the club house freezer and fridge (solar power system)and warm them up in the microwave for morning tea or lunch or make a cup of coffee of tea. We've got a lot of facilities for our 56 members for a bush club in the middle of nowhere. Once all guns and ammo are packed up after a match we usually have a cold beer and the ladies a wine and sit around the outdoor eating area and shoot the breeze before leaving for home.

Some shoot several times a month. I believe more only shoot once a month...but, you can go to a monthly every weekend , somewhere,in a lot of areas.

Horrendous gas prices, lack of ammo and reloading components, Covid, unemployment.

Just because people don’t go to matches doesn’t mean they don’t want to.

Times are hard.

10 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Find a way to make folks WANT to shoot your club on a monthly basis?

That sounds severe to me. :)

I don't find it harsh. I read as "Make your monthly match so much fun that people don't want to miss it" as opposed to a monthly where it's going to be the expected 10/10/4 and typical stage shooting order.

Works full-time:  Yep

Colonel in the Army Reserves (i.e. *NOT* "one weekend a month"):  Yep

Umpires baseball:  Yep

Committee chair for Sons of the American Revolution:  Yep

Color Guard for Sons of the American Revolution:  Yep

Working on another degree:  Yep

Assistant Scoutmaster:  Yep

Last time I made it to a SASS match:  4 years ago

1 minute ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Works full-time:  Yep

Colonel in the Army Reserves (i.e. *NOT* "one weekend a month"):  Yep

Umpires baseball:  Yep

Committee chair for Sons of the American Revolution:  Yep

Color Guard for Sons of the American Revolution:  Yep

Working on another degree:  Yep

Assistant Scoutmaster:  Yep

Last time I made it to a SASS match:  4 years ago

Hope you find time to get to a match soon.

Life happens.

Life gets in the way sometimes. Even if you’re retired.

I agree,  now retired I am traveling to more away shoots than before. ( Kentucky, Indiana Texas, Alabama) A lot of these state matches fall on the same day as local matches.   It is always great to make new friends in other states as well as seeing old ones at the local matches. 

October, November, December are for hunting. January thru March are ice fishing. Spring and summer are my months to shoot unless my wife says we're going to go to the cabin. Then I may shoot a match up there. Or just mow and cut wood. Used to shoot several times a month. Those days are gone. 

10 hours ago, Chantry said:

I don't find it harsh. I read as "Make your monthly match so much fun that people don't want to miss it" as opposed to a monthly where it's going to be the expected 10/10/4 and typical stage shooting order.

Some folks can make a 10-10-4 match into something that you want to return to. it's the PEOPLE that can make or break the match. We shot almost every weekend this last summer and fall and at most shoots there were more than the usual # of shooters.

kR

PS if your attitude is that's the way we do it we don't want any input and do not solicit comments chances are pretty good we will not return.

7 hours ago, Short Stack said:

I agree,  now retired I am traveling to more away shoots than before. ( Kentucky, Indiana Texas, Alabama) A lot of these state matches fall on the same day as local matches.   It is always great to make new friends in other states as well as seeing old ones at the local matches. 

It is good to see you more!!!

Archived