SASS Wire Forum

Not Enough Runway

Was that even anywhere near airport property ? Or, just a guy with a light plane and a straight asphalt stretch ?

5 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Was that even anywhere near airport property ? Or, just a guy with a light plane and a straight asphalt stretch ?

That might be in Alaska where it's not uncommon for aircraft to use streets as runways.

My guess is too much weight in the aircraft.

Looking at the good Subdeacon's quick vid of fuel-up and takeoff in Alaska ...

I recall reading about a fellow who landed near a rural Nevada gas station, walked over to the pump with a gas can and said a little hesitantly, "This must be a little unusual," and the old timer running the place said "Sure is, son, most folks taxi right up to the pump!"

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Looking at the good Subdeacon's quick vid of fuel-up and takeoff in Alaska ...

I recall reading about a fellow who landed near a rural Nevada gas station, walked over to the pump with a gas can and said a little hesitantly, "This must be a little unusual," and the old timer running the place said "Sure is, son, most folks taxi right up to the pump!"

I taxied up to the pump in Montello NV and so did  lot of other folks.  Rather common to land on the pavement hiway then taxi over to the dirt runway and park

13 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Did the guy at the end fall out of the plane or the car?

It looks like he was in the car and bailed out. When he first comes into the video the plane is just about to hit the car. 

Can you imagine the call to the insurance company on that one?

"Safeco Insurance, this is Pam, can I help you?"

"Uh, yeah, ummm... I need to file a claim. I just got rear-ended by an airplane."

"You said an airplane?!?"

"Yeah."

"So, how fast WERE you going???"

"I didn't think you'd believe it..."

Archived