SASS Wire Forum

Slugging a Winchester 1886 barrel?

Cholla

How does one go about slugging a Winchester 1886 barrel? I could drive a lead slug in from the muzzle but without dismantling the gun, I have no way to get it back out.

I watched a you tube video of a guy slugging  the barrel on a Sharps.   He tapped the slug all the way to the receiver using a long wood dowel rod.

That's about the simplest thing you could ever do...  :)

I try to use an "egg" fishing sinker, just slightly larger than bore size.  If you can't find one slightly larger, take one slightly smaller, hold it on its end and smack it with a hammer a few times 'til it "fills out."  Lube it (heck, use Vaseline if nothing else!), start it with a mallet then drive it all the way through 'til it pops out of the chamber.

Grab your micrometer or dial caliper (or vernier caliper, if you're up to it!) and there y'are!  ^_^  

Here's how I like to slug a bore. I like to use a slug of soft lead that is at least 1 1/2 times long than the bore dia that's being slugged. This extra length assures that the slug doesn't wobble or try to turn in the bore as it's hammered through. This can be verified with short slugs. Measurements will vary depending on where you measure it. The longer slug yields more consistent results. Make sure the bore is clean lead free and lightly oiled, as in an oiled patch pushed through it.

You can drive the slug in from the muzzle if you use a leather or rubber mallet so as not to damage the crown. I like to drive it all the way through to feel any high spots or bulges. I like to use a brass or hardwood dowel that is close to bore size. A rod that is too small can deform the soft lead. Next if it's a levergun I use two wooden dowels just smaller than the bore and cut to the cartridge OAL. These are inserted into the chamber end and the action closed. Next the slug is re inserted in the muzzle end and driven to the wood dowel then bumped up so it's now tight. Now, open the action, remove the dowels and gently tap the slug on out. This will give you a really true picture of the bore just in front of the chamber or farther out depending on how many dowels are used.

To measure I  use a zero-ed Starret micrometer. Most dial calipers aren’t accurate enough.

I don't know exactly what your reason is to slug your barrel but assume you want to figure out what diameter bullet might be best suited.  What you will learn from driving an oversize object from end to end in your barrel is the narrowest dimension.  That's not necessarily the optimum bullet diameter.  In my experience, the best accuracy, at least for lead bullets, is often achieved by sizing the bullet to the same diameter or very slightly larger than the leade.   Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Jackalope

11 hours ago, Cholla said:

How does one go about slugging a Winchester 1886 barrel? I could drive a lead slug in from the muzzle but without dismantling the gun, I have no way to get it back out.

I have an 86 and I slugged the barrel. It came out to .3805. I had already ordered a .380 mold from BACO. The mold drops a .379 soft lead bullet. It shoots fine in the 86 and Shirttails 38-55 highwall that slugged at about .375. Neither rifle has any problem with leading and both will shoot a little over 2" groups at 200 yds. with peep sights with BP.

kR

Archived