SASS Wire Forum

S&W Model No. 3 Russian 2nd Model...maybe.

Beans Ahgin

A friend brought me a very well-worn 7-inch barrel antique top-break S&W revolver, asking if there were parts available, specifically the hand/pawl which is either broken or missing entirely.  The 3rd Ed. of the Standard Catalog of S&W firearms (pg. 95) has list of features which suggests it is a No., 3 Russian 2nd Model...but there is no serial number visible.  (I did not attempt to remove the grips having just my Swiss Army knife available.)  The stamping on the barrel rib is well worn, and the last cipher (after "Russian") is unreadable.  Does anyone know where the SN was stamped by S&W on the No. 3 Russian?

And. since an Internet search for parts suggests that a replacement hand/pawl is not available, does anyone have an opinion as to whether the top-break  Uberti Schofield replica parts (Taylors) might either work, or be adaptable?  He does not plan on shooting the antique, he just wants the cylinder to rotate and index.

Thanks,

Beans Ahgin

Many years (25 or so) ago I had a 3rd model Russian rebuilt by a smith in Maine.  I think it was called liberty antique gun works, but I could be wrong.  I checked and can’t seem to find him on line.  In any case, I got his name from Smith and Wesson when I called them. They told me they didn’t work on their old stuff but that this guy was who they recommended for fixing break-tops.  So, you might try calling them to see if they have someone they would recommend.  Failing that, someone here might know who to send you to.  

Good luck. 

I have a Model 3, 1st Model Russian manufactured in 1873. The S/N is in the bottom of the grip. As far as I know S&W used S/N's on all of their firearms.

It could be a copy as there were many made in other countries.

Lonnie at Run-N-Iron

http://www.runniron.com/index_cowboy.html

He does not plan on shooting the antique, he just wants the cylinder to rotate and index.

That's easy to say, but once the gun operates, the immediate next desire is to shoot it......:o

good luck, GJ

Archived