SASS Wire Forum

How do horses and/or mules react to the smell of a rattlesnake?

Alpo

In movies they always rear when there's a snake around, but the snake is always rattling.

I'm watching Sister Sara, and Clint just killed the rattlesnake, handed it to her and told her that if they get split up it makes good eating, and told her to get her mule inside the ruin. She's got the snake in one hand and the mule's reins in the other, leading him in. Just got me wondering how a mule would really react to a fresh-killed rattlesnake.

When I was a button Dad blew a rattler's head off with his shotgun. Of course it squirmed around, coiled up and was striking (headless of course). Our mare came up and was nuzzling it around while it was striking at her. Didn't seem to scare her a bit. Just seemed curious.

JHC

We had a Spanish mule once (a cross between a donkey, and a Spanish Mustang) that knew about snakes. I guess he could smell them, or hear them, or or perhaps see them, depending on where he was in relation to where they were. He would avoid them, but not rare up and buck. He would pick up the pace, and try to avoid it, however, if he sensed one. He could turn on a dime, and give you change, so you'd have to be ready, or else you might find yourself on the ground...perhaps with the snake!!! I guess this one knew enough to keep a distance. I don't think he had ever been bitten, but I am not sure. I figure he had had some sort of negative experience with a snake, or snakes, to make him act that way. 

But donkeys, and mules, seem to be smarter than horses, in some ways, or so I have observed from the one's we had.

I made a deal with snakes, many years ago. They leave me alone, and I won't kill 'em. 

I would think it would depend on the breed, the age, and the experience of the animal. I had an ugly gelding off the Navajo Rez that loved eating Canadian thistles and tried to stomp on any dog that came his way. I can't imagine him getting upset about a snake. I also had two Arabian mares that had been pen raised and absolutely bucked and kicked about anything that came their way. Many leisurely rides turned into 8-second practice runs for the Prescott Rodeo. I can easily see them try to jump the moon if they saw a snake, fake or real.

Archived