SASS Wire Forum

Veterans Day

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

We absolutely honor and remember those who gave their all.  But remember...Veterans Day is about honoring ALL veterans, past, present, as well as those currently serving.  :FlagAm:

Ask a random person on the street if they know the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day, and most likely they won't have a clue. They might even say the discounts at the mall are the same regardless which day it is. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

We absolutely honor and remember those who gave their all.  But remember...Veterans Day is about honoring ALL veterans, past, present, as well as those currently serving.  :FlagAm:

I agree.  And I likely should have called this thread "Armastice Day" or "Rememberance Day."

Note that the strip came out of the UK.

On 11/5/2021 at 12:59 PM, Trailrider #896 said:

Thank You to ALL Veterans on this Day.

This is a Special Salute to my Dad.

Born March 1924

42-43 West Point Cadet USMA
43-45 Army Air Corps
45-47 Army Reserve
47-49 Air Force Reserve
49-84 Army National Guard

Passed October 2005

http://www.450thbg.com/real/biographies/strickland/strickland.shtml         

While with the 450th Bomb Group of the 15th Air Force flying as Co-Pilot with the 721st Squadron in B-24 “Rage in Heaven” the plane was shot down on 29 December 1944 over Italy.  All 10 bailed out, one crew member was Killed in Action and all others except my Dad were captured and became Prisoners of War.  He evaded capture with the help of Italian partisans.

http://www.450thbg.com/real/crews/reicherts.shtml

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Also cause for reflection: NYTimes reports today that 99% of US WWII vets are now deceased.

I'm proud and feel honored to have known a bunch of 'em while they were still here.    :FlagAm:

7 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Also cause for reflection: NYTimes reports today that 99% of US WWII vets are now deceased.

I hope that's inaccurate, but could be. I went to several of my dad's WWII company reunions, made many friends. Used to swap Christmas cards with many, even after Dad passed. Time passed and I haven't done so for quite a few years.  I'm afraid to try to get it going again now cuz I don't really want to know how few are left.

JHC

8 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

WWII ended in 1945. 

2021 - 1945 = 76

If you were 18 in 1945 you would be 94 today.

I posted this elsewhere, a year ago today, after attending the service at our local Veterans' Memorial:
"Rain turning to snow and about 35 souls gathered at the Veterans Park in Lagrange.

An old man stood among them, wearing a broad brimmed cover, dusted with snow.
He looked to his left and behind, then to his right and behind, the way a man will when he's known hostile action at a tender age.
He removed the increasingly snowy cover for the opening prayer, in spite of precipitation; he removed it again for the National Anthem.
He stood and listened to the speaker, turning occasionally to look round to his left, and round to his right; he placed the back of his hand against the small of his back, as if it hurt to stand -- but stand he did, in the wind-blown snow.
He removed the cover a third time, when Taps was played, and a fourth, for the benediction.
He was an old man with a white beard who came silently out of the dark to stand with us, the only man to remove his cover in such a way, an old man who departed and walked with erect spine and regular pace, back into the snow-blowing dark, alone."

Archived