SASS Wire Forum

Helen Brimstone and I saw Dune tonight - the first movie in about two years.

I thought it was well done - they nailed the "thopters!"  

Two things, though:

First, I would really recommend reading the book - or at least a synopsis - before seeing the film.  Ms Brimstone enjoyed the film, but whe was fairly lost.

Second, be aware that this is PART ONE!  It is NOT a full rendition of the book; the second half of the story is scheduled for release October 2023.  Even so, it's still a shade over 2 1/2 hours runtime.

Many years ago a fellow at work got me hooked on Frank Herbert's books and I wound up reading the original "Dune" and his five sequels.  Couldn't put them down.  

I just wonder how this film version is compared to the first one, other, of course, being a lot longer.

Compared to the first Dune movie…… There ain’t no comparison!  The first movie was dreck compared to this!!

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Compared to the first Dune movie…… There ain’t no comparison!  The first movie was dreck compared to this!!

image.png.01bc6f6abed0fa24864ece0dd8c0b5fe.png:blush::lol:

image.png.f19c12f8d039470b925bfde73cf9ef67.png

1 minute ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.01bc6f6abed0fa24864ece0dd8c0b5fe.png:blush::lol:

image.png.f19c12f8d039470b925bfde73cf9ef67.png

image.png.e34da5bb73b0f280ebd1fa063efc4add.png

image.png.4de92ceda5713686b1dc0f3c1e11908a.png

2 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Never mind...

Note to self....ALWAYS read full feed before commenting.:wub:

That’s O.K. Sue…Men don’t read directions either! ;)

Maybe I was ruined by the original movie.  Thought it was awful so had less than zero interest in anything to do with Dune.  The new version is on TV so maybe I'll watch it and see if it is any better.

I first read Dune when it was serialized as Dune World in Analog magazine in the early 1960s. The full-length book is still said to be the biggest-selling SF novel of all time.

I haven't read it for decades but it made quite an impression. I've never read any of the follow-ons and sequels; most have been written by Herbert's sons.

The movie has been getting consistently good reviews. Perhaps I'll read the book again first-- but it's long!

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Dreck?

Is that a Dune term?

ORIGIN OF DRECK

First recorded in 1920–25; from Yiddish drek; cognate with German Dreck “filth”; compare Old English threax, Old Norse threkkr “excrement”

The first movie was dreck compared to most anything.

Archived