SASS Wire Forum

WTC: Gunfighter Reholsters

Always start with the right hand gun for the first targets, firing R-L-R-L-R then reholster. When you draw for the second set of targets start with the left gun, firing L-R-L-R-L. Your always shooting 3 shots with whatever hand you start with. Practice it dry firing. After a while it becomes second nature and you don't need to consciencely count rounds fired.

Good Luck, Pard !

11 minutes ago, T.K. said:

Always start with the right hand gun for the first targets, firing R-L-R-L-R then reholster. When you draw for the second set of targets start with the left gun, firing L-R-L-R-L. Your always shooting 3 shots with whatever hand you start with. Practice it dry firing. After a while it becomes second nature and you don't need to consciencely count rounds fired.

Good Luck, Pard !

1st. Reholstering pistols with the intent to engage another target sequence as you have described will, at the least, earn you a P.

2nd. Getting into a habit of always having to start with one hand or another takes away so many transition options. Also, you method does not take into consideration a string with a gunfighter may find it advantageous to change leads in the middle of the string. Or so many more options.

Just a couple things to think about...

13 hours ago, T.K. said:

Good Luck, Pard !

WHAT?

As Branchwater mentioned..... You'll earn a 'P', then it becomes progressive if you continue shooting in this manner.

..........Widder

Interesting. 

So if all the stages in a match have split pistol strings, the whole match would require gunfighters to shoot Double Duelist, so they would be registered in a separate category to other DDs, but shooting the match in exactly the same style.   Is that correct?

It doesn't seem like a safety issue to reholster revolvers with hammer down on a spent case.  Every shooter does that enroute to the ULT.  So can someone say why was this restriction put on gunfighters?

Just asking. 

16 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Interesting. 

So if all the stages in a match have split pistol strings, the whole match would require gunfighters to shoot Double Duelist, so they would be registered in a separate category to other DDs, but shooting the match in exactly the same style.   Is that correct?

No.

Stage design may allow a competitor shooting Gunfighter style to stage or restage revolvers between target sequences.

If the shooter’s hands are otherwise constrained (e.g., rolling the dice between revolver sequences), the revolvers must be drawn and shot one at a time (double duelist) unless they can be safely staged rather than holstered. In this case, both revolvers may be employed at the same time for the first five rounds, safely restaged, and then employed at the same time again for the second five rounds.

SHB p.7

Double Duelist is NOT a standalone shooting category.

SHB p.6

Follow-up to @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L post... someone asked me if the stage instructions must specify that a gunfighter is allowed to stage his pistols after shooting the first 5, in a stage that has split pistols.

the answer there is since the gunfighter category rules specifically state that they may be staged in that scenario, the instructions are not required to state it. However, participants shooting in the gunfighter style are the only ones afforded this opportunity.

20 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

IIt doesn't seem like a safety issue to reholster revolvers with hammer down on a spent case.  Every shooter does that enroute to the ULT.  So can someone say why was this restriction put on gunfighters?

Just asking. 

It was determined to be a potential safety issue due to the possibility of a GF-style shooter inadvertently cocking one of the revolvers for a 6th shot.

Allowing the holstering of both revolvers mid-string (or between shooting strings) would make it extremely difficult for the T/O to observe that neither revolver is holstered with a cocked hammer.

Thanks PWB.

I had read the language you cited, But my question was not only about restaging situations.

For example, our upcoming November match has two stages requiring pistol(s) to be shot at one position, then shotgun carried and shot from two other locations, then the second pistol string to be shot from a downrange position.  So just staging or restating pistols on a table isn't workable.  They have to be carried, but hands must also carry and shoot a shotgun.  Holstering is thus necessary to shoot the stage.  DD appears to be the only option for a gunfighter in that situation.   AM I missing something?

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

AM I missing something?

Those stages would require a Gunfighter to shoot Double-Duelist-style.

If the shooter’s hands are otherwise constrained (e.g., rolling the dice between revolver sequences), the revolvers must be drawn and shot one at a time (double duelist)

SHB p.7

28 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

For example, our upcoming November match has two stages requiring pistol(s) to be shot at one position, then shotgun carried and shot from two other locations, then the second pistol string to be shot from a downrange position.  So just staging or restating pistols on a table isn't workable.  They have to be carried, but hands must also carry and shoot a shotgun.  Holstering is thus necessary to shoot the stage.  DD appears to be the only option for a gunfighter in that situation. 

Shooting Double Duelist (occasionally) is an expected and accepted component of the Gunfighter category.

BUT - it is not (for most Gunfighters) the most enjoyed component of our category and should be implemented sparingly.

You mention an upcoming match having two DD stages for Gunfighters - if thats a normal monthly match, you're creating a situation where a GF is basically being forced out of their chosen shooting style for a third of the match.

You will hear comments of, "If I had wanted to shoot Duelist - I would have signed up for Duelist"

Is it whining?  Yes.

Is it accurate?  Yes.

Should matches change their writing on how it affects a single category?

Probably not.

But would I return to a club that regularly required me to shoot DD instead of GF?  No.

There are many ways to interject split pistols and different positions for pistols to keep it entertaining for everyone while at the same time allowing Gunfighters to shoot their pistols as they intended.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Shooting Double Duelist (occasionally) is an expected and accepted component of the Gunfighter category.

BUT - it is not (for most Gunfighters) the most enjoyed component of our category and should be implemented sparingly.

You mention an upcoming match having two DD stages for Gunfighters - if thats a normal monthly match, you're creating a situation where a GF is basically being forced out of their chosen shooting style for a third of the match.

You will hear comments of, "If I had wanted to shoot Duelist - I would have signed up for Duelist"

Is it whining?  Yes.

Is it accurate?  Yes.

Should matches change their writing on how it affects a single category?

Probably not.

But would I return to a club that regularly required me to shoot DD instead of GF?  No.

There are many ways to interject split pistols and different positions for pistols to keep it entertaining for everyone while at the same time allowing Gunfighters to shoot their pistols as they intended.

That's a helpful input.  We do have a good number of gunfighters, but also a number of folks who like a lot of movement and variety.   And we have one Bay, in particular that can get pretty redundant, if we don't  try to do different things with it.  Your comments are heard loudly and taken as good advice.  Thank you. 

I am a GF and want to shoot GF.   I'll shoot DD if I have to, but I won't go back to matches where I have to do it a lot. I also don't like to stage revolvers on a prop and will probably shoot DD rather than do that.

I'm OK with split pistol strings where the revolvers don't have to leave my hands.  Shoot a five shot string, move with hammers down on spent cartridges, and shoot 5 more are fine.  That adds variety,  and lets me shoot GF.

22 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Dudley Dowrong earned the P as soon as he picked up the Rifle???

No. 

Reholstered without the intent to engage other pistol targets. He corrected the issue before he shot the rifle...If I remember the video correctly:ph34r:

34 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Dudley Dowrong earned the P as soon as he picked up the Rifle???

If he holstered after shooting 8 and did not shoot off the two rounds, it would only have been scored as 2 misses.

SHB pg 21

Inadvertently left rounds in a revolver are misses, unless there is an unfired round under the hammer, in which case it is a Stage DQ.   

But he corrected before engaging the rifle. Phantom is spot on here:

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

No. 

Reholstered without the intent to engage other pistol targets. He corrected the issue before he shot the rifle...If I remember the video correctly:ph34r:

No call.

Archived