SASS Wire Forum

What length barrel sxs do you use

Tennessee williams

I cut my 28" Baikal field gun to 24" primarily to get rid of the two different chokes and I have never had any problems handling the gun around props. etc.  I also have a 28" Miroku SXS that I just couldn't bring myself to cut and I have no problems handling it around props either.  Frankly, I think the whole shorter is faster thing is more than a bit overstated!  It's more about what you get used to using than how short a barrel you use.  However, folks do seem to expect the 20" barrel on a "Coach Gun," but I'd bet more Cowpokes had longer barreled shotguns for multi-purpose use than these specific use guns.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'm just wondering what length barrel side by side y'all use. I'm going to do some skb barrel testing this weekend. 

22" on all my SKB's for CAS.

1 hour ago, Bingo Montana said:

22" on all my SKB's for CAS.

This one.

That length just seems to open easier. And, I can't hit a popper with a shorter barrel shotgun.

14 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

No wonder I can’t find an SKB…:lol:

I have noticed everyone on this thread has "SKBs" ... sell some will ya :)

14 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

No wonder I can’t find an SKB…:lol:

2 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

I might sell one if I ever found anything better.

Randy

Operator headspace?

Run the same tests a few times with someone handing you each configuration at random. If you don’t know exactly which one you’re running at any given point I bet the difference shrinks. 

5 minutes ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

Operator headspace?

Run the same tests a few times with someone handing you each configuration at random. If you don’t know exactly which one you’re running at any given point I bet the difference shrinks. 

Doubt it. I was rooting for the 20". It "feels" best to me. Someone secretly handing me one won't work. I can tell which one is in my hand by the weight and balance. 

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Preliminary results just from 6 shot average each barrel length sg shouldered.

22" baseline

20" -.13

18" -.47

Don’t surprise me ;)

12 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

But you didn't try longer barrels?  Aw....

Wouldn't have been a good comparison. Only long barrel doubles I have aren't set up the same. I've got an old AH Fox, an Ithaca, and a few old Belgium doubles.

First, let me say that I think everyone should shoot what they like. Some shooters like longer barrel guns for the balance, the originality, or just plain fun and that’s great.   But, the game has become close and fast and for our use I believe lighter and faster handling guns are what a lot of top shooters are gravitating too. Now a guy like Deuce could probably beat 99% of us with full length stock guns, but you can bet he’s done his homework on what works fastest for him because the Cowboys/Cowgirls at his level know matches are won or lost by hundredths of seconds on a stage. So when he states he uses a barrel length of 18 1/4”, you can bet he has a good reason. 

I had thought 14" might be good, but it just doesn't balance well for me. I would like to try 16" but that's against the rules. I am using 20" ever since I got my TTN because that is what it came with.  I have use a couple of 18 1/8" guns and I liked that length. Since I am usually in the bottom 10 percent, following my advice is questionable. Shoot what you want and have fun.

My main match Stoeger has 18.2" barrels - measured with many different measuring devices in case one sheriff's tape measure is shorter than another's ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

On 10/31/2021 at 12:43 PM, Tennessee williams said:

22" baseline

20" -.13

18" -.47

To clarify, the 22" was your baseline..  From dismount, shuck, load, back to shoulder & fire?  The 20" was 0.13/sec faster & the 18" was 0.47/sec faster?  

1 minute ago, Griff said:

To clarify, the 22" was your baseline..  From dismount, shuck, load, back to shoulder & fire?  The 20" was 0.13/sec faster & the 18" was 0.47/sec faster?  

Starting position was sg on shoulder hands not touching shells. Starting from delayed beep on timer. Yes for 6 shots, averaged.

I also did the same test using a different shucking method that looked and felt faster. It was not.

Like you, I sometimes try different shuck/loads methods but being in game so long I realize to be better than what I have used so long would take lots of work to improve, especially at my age.  When Sassy started shooting in SASS just after we married in 2015, I showed her how I would do it if starting over, and probably your method, she took to it well.  But, she was learning so she worked right into it.  My old method of looking down at chambers, butt off shoulder, and  shucking with muzzle in upward motion.  (I call it the "Island Girl" style because I think she is one of the ones I saw in early years that was very efficient at it.)   If I can run 4n4 or 6N6 I consider it fine enough to satisfy me and win on occasions.

Your times seem very good and I assume you are saying that, for example, 6 in 6.47 with 22, 6.34 with 20 and 6.00 with 18".  Again, an example.

55 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Starting position was sg on shoulder hands not touching shells. Starting from delayed beep on timer. Yes for 6 shots, averaged.

I also did the same test using a different shucking method that looked and felt faster. It was not.

Makes me wonder if there's also any difference in starting in a staged position to at least the 1st shot.

30 minutes ago, Griff said:

Makes me wonder if there's also any difference in starting in a staged position to at least the 1st shot.

I would say you're correct. I didn't want to skew my shot string in case of a bad grab. If I get home with any daylight this week I'll time some groups and average to the first shot for each. 

I'm one of probably not many that practice picking my guns up. After all....you can't do anything with any of them until you pick them up.

8 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I would say you're correct. I didn't want to skew my shot string in case of a bad grab. If I get home with any daylight this week I'll time some groups and average to the first shot for each. 

I'm one of probably not many that practice picking my guns up. After all....you can't do anything with any of them until you pick them up.

I'll wager the winner's circle is FULL of folks that practice picking their guns up... after-all it is a transition!

17 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Around here you would fit right in. Normally start with something other than SG so moving to it and bringing it into play is crucial. Kind of unusual to start with SG in hands.

I practice moving to the left and right to get SG as well as moving to left or right when done.

Have fun

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Like you, I sometimes try different shuck/loads methods but being in game so long I realize to be better than what I have used so long would take lots of work to improve, especially at my age.  When Sassy started shooting in SASS just after we married in 2015, I showed her how I would do it if starting over, and probably your method, she took to it well.  But, she was learning so she worked right into it.  My old method of looking down at chambers, butt off shoulder, and  shucking with muzzle in upward motion.  (I call it the "Island Girl" style because I think she is one of the ones I saw in early years that was very efficient at it.)   If I can run 4n4 or 6N6 I consider it fine enough to satisfy me and win on occasions.

Your times seem very good and I assume you are saying that, for example, 6 in 6.47 with 22, 6.34 with 20 and 6.00 with 18".  Again, an example.

Yessir, those are pretty close times. The 18" was consistently under 6. Lot of difference shooting in the back yard vs in a match too. 

We use these. 

Some more than others.

18"  LC Smith SxS

20" Stoeger Coach SxS

20" Win 1897 Pump

23" Win 24 SxS

24" Win 1897 TD Pump

26" Stoeger Uplander

26" Browning BSS SxS

30" Stevens 311D SxS

All are 12 gauges.

I like the Brownie the best.  I'm going to make it 22" or 24" just for fitting the main match gun case.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

I'll wager the winner's circle is FULL of folks that practice picking their guns up... after-all it is a transition!

and, in my travels I have sure seen some different speed shotgun starts, especially in last two years.  From hands and shotgun on table, start timer of  unknown default time before putting hands on table, one hand on timer, one hand on timer and one on shotgun or option of one hand on shells and one on timer, etc.  I, too, like to practice the different starts that I experience.

58 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I, too, like to practice the different starts that I experience.

I can tell, practice has results!  And lack of practice also has results... I suspect I'm the poster boy for not practicing!  ^_^

On 10/31/2021 at 1:43 PM, Tennessee williams said:

22" baseline

20" -.13

18" -.47

When you finish up all your testing,  sell me one of those you decide not to use..... :D

As a side note for those interested,  TN is also looking at BEEP to 1st shot, his split times, and also checking out his 'pick up' times.

'Pick Up' times are his times back to the belt and load/1st shot of his next pair.

He's putting in some serious practice.   He's also recruited a top notch 'instructor' to help him in his efforts..... :lol:

..........Widder

I have always preferred barrels at the legal limit.  Really like 18 inches.  Then I started shooting a couple of higher end Hammer Doubles.  One has 20 inch barrels and the other has 22inch barrels.  Elected to leave them alone and really like both.  Regardless of length, shoot whatever your most comfortable with.

Archived