SASS Wire Forum

What length barrel sxs do you use

Tennessee williams

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20” because that’s what it came with. Barrel length is generally irrelevant in this sport. The exception would be for those physically too small to use a full size gun. 

Howdy Tennessee,

Go with a short barrel.  

If it's a stock gun; a long barrel gun will open faster but they're not good if you have to shoot through a lot of windows and doorways.

You'll always be bumping that long barrel on stuff and it'll drive you crazy.  

I hope this helps.

Mo

Right now I have 18, 20, and 22" length SKBs. I find the 22 a little heavier but I do need to cut the lop down 1" still. That makes it take just a little longer to get into action than the 18 and 20. The 18 is great for maneuverability especially around those window openings. I plan to run some three location drills with each of them with 2 different shuck styles to see what works good. Any other testing recommendations? I know some say 22" is the magic number on barrel length to help open it, but I don't see a drastic difference to trade off the weight.

32 minutes ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

20” because that’s what it came with. Barrel length is generally irrelevant in this sport. The exception would be for those physically too small to use a full size gun. 

Wasn't thinking shot pattern. Was more thinking of weight/maneuverability, etc

20 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Yep.  19-20"

TW, how good  a "barrel welder" are ya, just in case you cut too much off (asking for a friend)? ;)

Kajun

Pinky and I shoot 20”, but I wouldn’t mind going shorter.   I think they would clear props better when moving laterally.  I prefer to stand back from windows, doors, etc. while shooting, but sometimes depending on where targets are you have to get closer to the props to see your targets. 

10 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Pinky and I shoot 20”, but I wouldn’t mind going shorter.   I think they would clear props better when moving laterally.  I prefer to stand back from windows, doors, etc. while shooting, but sometimes depending on where targets are you have to get closer to the props to see your targets. 

That's true Doc 

For SASS matches - 20" on hammered double, unhammered double, Win 97s.   22" on Model 12.

good luck, GJ

I also think some shooters prefer 22” barrels as they feel it makes it easier to open the action and recock the shotgun. I find that a good sxs gunsmith can make an 18” open just as easy as a 22”. 

33 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

I also think some shooters prefer 22” barrels as they feel it makes it easier to open the action and recock the shotgun. I find that a good sxs gunsmith can make an 18” open just as easy as a 22”. 

I can't really tell a difference in my 18, 20, or 22 in opening but I sure can on maneuverability. I'm going to swap all 3 sets of barrels with one action and see how they do. I've gotten crazy acting on my shuck here lately. You and Randy make me look like I've never shot a SASS match with a shotgun. I intend to try and remedy that. I bought a big stick and I'm gonna have Randy hit me real good with it when I get out of hand.

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'm going to swap all 3 sets of barrels with one action and see how they do.

Be careful!! (swap carefully and don't force or allow to bind). Barrel sets (w/ a lug and such) are fitted to their own action (hinge pin and clearance). 

A loose fit might be OK for comparision but if one was too tight it might compromise it's fit on it's original action. IMHO as always ...

10 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I can't really tell a difference in my 18, 20, or 22 in opening but I sure can on maneuverability. I'm going to swap all 3 sets of barrels with one action and see how they do. I've gotten crazy acting on my shuck here lately. You and Randy make me look like I've never shot a SASS match with a shotgun. I intend to try and remedy that. I bought a big stick and I'm gonna have Randy hit me real good with it when I get out of hand.

Hope it will work. We have 3 skb 100’s and none of the barrels and actions are interchangeable with each other. 

7 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I swapped them all to check, but didn't live fire them. Felt ok.

If they felt ok they will probably work. Mine won’t even close or lock up

3 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Weight difference a couple ounces at most on any given gun, more difference from one gun to the next. 

as for maneuvering between windows or doors. The difference is less than the length of your foot. We just shoot through windows not in them. I’d dare to bet the majority of our shooters don’t stop at the same place in relation to the window for the barrel to make a difference   

4 hours ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

IMHO, everything in this sport is relevant when hundredths of a second count.

I have a BSS with 20 inch barrels and an SKB with 23 inch barrels. I don't really notice much difference getting around...but if clay birds are involved...I will grab the one with 23 inch barrels

My SKB 280 has the original length barrels on it,I think 26 inch,I have never had a problem swinging from target to target with it or hit any props with the barrels.

I use hammered doubles in 28,30 and 32 barrels. Sometimes they have animal cutouts for SG staging and occasionally I need to move it away from a prop to give me room to stage. Have shot for 18 years and never hit a prop yet, just take a step back and no problems. I do shoot an 87 with 18 1/2 barrel that is fun to shoot. Shoot what you like but just have fun. DC

I use  a Stevens 235 hammer gun in 12 ga / 18.25" Bbls. An extra 1/4" just to make sure its legal beyond any doubt.

Good luck, Pards

6 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

18 inch on the Stoeger (to get rid of the fixed chokes) ...

I have a Stoeger Supreme model with a 20 inch barrel and I can take my chokes out. I take them out every time I clean the Stoeger, clean each one separately then screw them back in.

2 of my SKB's are 22 inch barrels 1 is 18and 3/4 inch I think my other SKB is 21 inch and of course my 97's  are all 20 inch barrels

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

2 of my SKB's are 22 inch barrels 1 is 18and 3/4 inch I think my other SKB is 21 inch and of course my 97's  are all 20 inch barrels

No wonder I can’t find an SKB…:lol:

19 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'm just wondering what length barrel side by side y'all use. I'm going to do some skb barrel testing this weekend. 

I like 22” barrels on my SKB but I think, for our monthly matches, you’d be better with 30” :D:rolleyes: Now when you go to annual matches you might want to shoot something considerably shorter.

Randy 

Archived