SASS Wire Forum

Red Dot & Green Dot

Buckshot Bear

@Buckshot Bear
Red Dot is certainly useful for target handgun calibers in our game. I shoot with a couple cowboys who use nothing else. I personally have no experience with Green Dot. 

I haven’t seen RD available ‘round these parts for many months. 

JJ

I got a small quantity of Green Dot once and loaded it in 38 Specials.  I was pleased with the results.  The felt recoil was not bad.

Green dot is a great shotgun powder for this game. It also does well in .45acp

Red Dot/ Promo works great for all cowboy loads. Pistol- Rifle and Shotgun     Especially when I am low on Clays       GW

3 grains of Green Dot with a 125 gr 38 bullet will get you 740 fps with light recoil.

Also been using it for 3/4 ounce 12 gauge light loads on my MEC.

Shortcake hates recoil and loves shooting these loads.

I use Red Dot for cowboy loads in .38 sp., .44 mag., .45 acp, and .45 colt.  I use the same loadings for both rifle and pistol.  I have use a lot of it in shotgun target loads but am not reloading shotgun now.  Stock up when you can.

Blackfoot

In some ways Red Dot is just a fluffier form of Bullseye. 

It will work in pretty much any pistol cartridge, and the starting load for bullseye is safe, IMO. However, if you chrono your loads Es and Sd always seem to be above single digit. Accuracy is OK, just poor(ish) numbers. I also found that you may need to test different primers to get the best #'s. In addition, in a large case, sometimes the powder forward and powder reward numbers are a bit different. For our game, not an issue.

Green Dot never gave me numbers that I could live with. It is somewhat like Clays, in reality the other way around. Clays was touted as a clean burning substitute for Green Dot. I found it to be position sensitive. 

Observation. I have a few older manuals. Both Red Dot and Green Dot were commonly listed in pistol calibers well into the 70's. Green Dot sopped being listed before Red Dot, but data for Red Dot isn't seen often any more. I used some Promo, old batches of Red Dot, and newer Red Dot. Velocity varied a bit but the characteristics were similar. 

In my limited testing Clays did work better than Green Dot. I used lots of Green Dot for 12 ga back in the day.

Interestingly, Red dot was the powder used in the universal load, for most military rifle calibers. 

https://forum.castbulletassoc.org/thread/1387-the-load-is-13-grains-of-red-dot/

Bottom line, both will work, after a fashion, but I'd recommend testing over a chronograph. Speer #9 has lots of pistol data for both powders. 

i concur on the red dot - i use a lot of it for 12ga , 45colt , 38spcl as well as others 

i had blue dot and green dot and was never really loading that so i traded it for some other stuff 

23 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  

I use Green Dot in .32 S&W Long with good results.  Shoots clean and is economical.  There is no recoil, but power factor is exceeded easily.

Thanks I will be trying it out with hollow based wad cutters in my target Pardini .32 S&W Long.

In the past, I've used Red Dot.  Switched to Green Dot several years ago.  Can't remember why.  I use it for all my smokeless loads.  I use it for everything.  .45 Colt, .45ACP and 12 GA.  I like to keep it simple.

Back when we had the powder shortage a few years ago the only powder I could find was Green Dot and bought 16 lbs. of it! Worked out good loads for both 45 and 38sp. Still loading from the last of the 2nd 8lb. keg! Read somewhere that You can basically use the same load data for both Red and Green powders but would definitely chrome them out to be sure. 

Be safe, be kind

go out to the range and unwind,

LBC

Archived