SASS Wire Forum

Liberal Pro 2nd Amendment Advocates?

Interesting documentary on CBS of all places.  It is 25 minutes long so it might only warrant watching a few minutes.  Bottom line of the story is that blacks, hispanics, Asians, LGBTQ etc. are all buying guns and now support the 2nd Amendment.  Leftist polititians may have an uphill battle with their own base if they try to impose gun controls.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/cbsn-originals-the-new-pro-gun-generation/

Well, I watched it. 

Everybody that is legally in this country and a citizen should have the right to the pursuit of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I have traveled in some the crappiest areas in the country, I was always more comfortable with having a weapon with me.

Fortunately, I never needed to fire it but was real happy to have it the 2 times I needed it. Those causing the trouble saw I was armed and retreated.

That suited me fine.

I have never had a problem with somebody legally carrying a weapon.

I always figured if they were going to defend themselves they would probably defend everyone around them.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone in California gun stores and gun shows say “What do you mean I have to wait 10 days?” Or “Why do I have to go through a background check for ammo?” Or “Why do we have all these stupid laws and restrictions?”.

Apparently there is a tide turning here. In talking with folks at my LGS and local range there are quite a few pro-gun converts that are questioning things besides gun laws. 

I don’t know if things will change here but the seeds have been planted. 

I do not know what may come here as I intend to be gone this summer. 

1 hour ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

LGBTQ= lets get biden to quit,

No!  He's the only thing standing between Kamala and us! 

The VP slot is the weakest position in the Federal government, so let's keep her there where she can't do any real damage to anybody but President Sniffy's administration and herself.  Having a sock puppet in the White House is bad enough but she'd be even worse.  What he does by screwing up, she'd do with malicious intent and probably some stuff that's even worse.  Heck, the only reason I can see for making her VP in the first place was that she was unelectable and it was an end around to get her into the White House when President Sniffy is either impeached by the Right or removed for incompetence by the Left (depending on how the mid terms work out).

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone in California gun stores and gun shows say “What do you mean I have to wait 10 days?” Or “Why do I have to go through a background check for ammo?” Or “Why do we have all these stupid laws and restrictions?”.

Apparently there is a tide turning here. In talking with folks at my LGS and local range there are quite a few pro-gun converts that are questioning things besides gun laws. 

Remember the stink they raised on the 10 day wait after the Rodney King riots?

Too bad their resolve is a river that runs a mile wide but only an inch deep.

Those of us that lived all our lives in CA at least until we retired & followed politics were aware of firearms restrictions not affecting residents of any other state.  I remember when you could buy ammo at some grocery & drug stores that also sold fishing gear.  These stores were in places like Lake Tahoe.  There was a time in the 80's when ammo sales were recorded in a log book.  This didn't last long.  If it was so effective in reducing crimes where a firearm was used, why was it dropped and now resurrected with more red tape?

The only way things will change for the better is if the majority of SCOTUS justices bounce NY's may issue this session and in future sessions they hear cases on mag capacity bans and evil black rifle bans.  Maybe in the future they will see cases on other infringements like waiting periods for people with carry permits and states that require a permit to possess or purchase.  If states like IL want to be involved in every transfer they should become a Point of Origin State like NV.  Requiring two permissions to purchase a firearm is an infringement that doesn't withstand even intermediate scrutiny.  A state would have to argue that the state is slow in entering disqualifying records to FBI database & a state's negligence is not a valid excuse to infringe the people's 2A right.

P.S. CA's & MA's safe handgun laws are another infringement that should be on shaky ground; since, handguns were stricken from the NFA before it passed Congress.  Scalia in Heller reference dangerous arms which defined in the NFA.  I remember the rational the proponents when the CA legislature debated and passed the legislation.  They argued that some handguns posed an unacceptable hazard to the unprofessional public.  The law also defines that some gun's diminutive size makes them dangerous.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Won't change a thing. They will keep voting for the hard left capons.

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Won't change a thing. They will keep voting for the hard left capons.

Yep as long a ballot harvesting and unverified mail in ballots prevail the status quo ain't gona change any time soon.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The unfortunate thing is that most of them won’t get any firearm training at all.

Anyone come to mind recently?

I have a neighbor who is liberal, votes D all the time yet has a couple guns and a concealed carry permit. I tried to explain to her that D's are usally anti-gun but she just doesn't want to hear it. :(

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yep as long a ballot harvesting and unverified mail in ballots prevail the status quo ain't gona change any time soon.

It's more basic than that.  Look at CA.  The flood of blue here can't be attributed only to ballot harvesting.  It comes from too many people believing that they can vote themselves panem et circenses forever with impunity.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It's more basic than that.  Look at CA.  The flood of blue here can't be attributed only to ballot harvesting.  It comes from too many people believing that they can vote themselves panem et circenses forever with impunity.

Okay Joe I had to look that up and you're absolutely correct!! ;) 

My good friend AND GUN DEALER was really worried when Biden was elected, solely for the reasons of gun bans, confections, etc.......

I told him no such thing will happen because their are still a group of Democrats who are Pro Gun in some form of reasoning

and would reject confections and total bans.

Of course, I will admit that stuff like Magazine limits, etc..... is always possible, even with some conservatives.

And I've never ruled out the possibility of ammo and gun 'tax' to hinder purchases.

Just my thinking.

..........Widder

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

For those new here....you mean RETIRED, moved...not left the soil!!!

There have always been liberal* pro-gun people.  They just don't always vote that way because there may be other issues that are even more important to them. 

The opposing views  on gun control are more inline with where one resides.  Most of the really rabid gun control advocates live in cities,  suburbs adjacent to large cities or lost a loved one to gun violence.  Most pro-gun people live in rural areas or the suburbs.  Look at Democratic Senators Testor - MT Manchin - WV and Independent King - ME, all three are generally pro gun, but are liberals.

As to the rash of new gun owners, people are seeing Portland, Chicago and some other major cities allowing rioting and preventing the police from arresting people.  If they no longer feel that the politicians are going to allow the police to protect them, than they will do it themselves.

*Unfortunately the far left has managed to co-op the term liberal.  

Gun control always was an illiberal view anyway.  Liberalism is all about taking back power from the government; it was in its early days, the reason behind declaring independence, having our rights written down, and constraining the power of the monarchy.  Republican government followed, along with the American Constitution that deliberately separated power so that no one person was "the sovereign" like it was before that.  It is honestly hard to conceive of a more illiberal idea than denying citizens their right to resist oppressive government, which is why the Second Amendment was written down and has been part of our constitution since 1791.

Gun control survives in the democratic party's platform because of the influence of progressivism.  Progressivism (social democracy, etc., use the term you like) and liberalism are basically regarded as opposites everywhere else in the world.  For some strange reason, in America, these two things are lumped together, but they couldn't be more different when it comes to issues like this, that pit personal liberties against what progressives regard as "progress."

19 hours ago, Chantry said:

There have always been liberal* pro-gun people.  They just don't always vote that way because there may be other issues that are even more important to them. 

I kind of agree, but I think it's not so much other issues being more important as it is other promises being more important to them.

But what anti-Constitutionalists tend to miss is that the 2nd Amendment is a litmus test of politicians' perceptions of the relationship between the state and the People. Regardless of what a politician promises in a campaign, in office he or she will follow their true character. A politician who supports the 2nd is more likely to respect what, 'consent of the governed,' really means.

2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I kind of agree, but I think it's not so much other issues being more important as it is other promises being more important to them.

But what anti-Constitutionalists tend to miss is that the 2nd Amendment is a litmus test of politicians' perceptions of the relationship between the state and the People. Regardless of what a politician promises in a campaign, in office he or she will follow their true character. A politician who supports the 2nd is more likely to respect what, 'consent of the governed,' really means.

+ 10000000

4 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Perhaps.  I also think we have gone as far down this path as we can without really getting into political views and beliefs which will get this thread deleted.

We readily pigeonhole others-- and we pigeonhole ourselves.

I know many self-identified liberals who own and use guns. But they would call themselves liberals, not progressives.

I grew up hunting with Democrats, and I'll bet a lot of you did, too.

There are many shades of opinion among gun owners and regular gun users, contrary to the assumptions of many.

Dennis Prager an outspoken conservative says liberals are okay but leftists are dangerous. 

Be careful who you demonize.
You never know when you’ll need a friend.

I had written a reply for this thread along the lines of the previous two, but figured I'd just suggest that people who stereotype "liberals" as anti-2A might learn something by reading Dan Baum's excellent book.  Dan Baum was as liberal a guy as you'll find, but was also a great "gun guy."  I know that's confusing to some people, and even uncomfortable for some people, but too bad, that's your problem.  Our 2A-supporting friends are found in every race, creed, color, religion, and across the political spectrum, so be careful who you disparage -- they may be as well-armed as you!  Some people vote strictly on the basis of some flavor of their views on social justice.  Others are strictly abortion issue voters, one way or the other.  Others vote on environmental issues and nothing else.  As 2A supporters, I think it is our duty to bring more people into the 2A fold, no matter what else they may believe in, or vote for or against.  We are all Americans, and that means we are all free to think what we want to think, believe what we want to believe, and say what we want to say (short of inciting violence).

Howdy,

It has always interested me that Democrat and Republican arent

mentioned in the Bill of Rights or US constitution.

And which party is against mayo on burgers??

Best

CR

Archived