SASS Wire Forum

Brass cleaning

Hoss

I shot some APP this past weekend. Got around to cleaning it last night. Thought I would try a sonic cleaner, with Lyman sonic case cleaning solution. I forgot it and it soaked overnight. Some of it came out an orangish-pink color. 
save it or toss it?

and yes, I know I should have cleaned it sooner, but would it have made a difference?

FC22B8E6-827E-4EB8-A7FA-568D60229054.jpeg

You'll probably need something more abrasive...and I clean my brass months after using them.

Keep 'em and tumble them. Try some Jewelers Rouge.

I'm sure other's will chime in with their favorite formula.

Phantom

Keep that pink colored brass.  You are seeing a little bit of copper that dissolved from your brass in the app fouling wash solution and then replated back on the brass.  It's a thin film. It does no harm. 

If you can't stand having it there, soak the brass in a dilute solution of warm vinegar in water for 30 seconds, then wipe the copper film off with a green scrubbie pad.

Or for a more aggressive solution, make up grout cleaning solution with sulfamic acid crystals from the hardware store and only soak brass in that for about 10 seconds.  Then scrub it and rinse well.  (Sulfamic acid is the active ingredient in Lemishine, but grout cleaner crystals are concentrated and cheaper - no fragrances or other fillers).

good luck, GJ

Next time after shooting APP, throw them in a bottle with windex with vinegar.  Shake frequently. I did this once, and they came out shiny clean, no soot or residue. Didn’t even need a tumbler.  I thought it was a fluke.   Tried another time with simple green, + 10% vinegar solution.  That needed tumbling.  Did another time with the windex with vinegar again, shiny right out of the soak from the match again.   Go figure.  

I’m with @Phantom, SASS #54973 on this.  At the match I put the used brass in soap and water, when I get home I rinse them and let them dry.  It’s usually months before I get around to de-priming and cleaning them.   I don’t use a sonic cleaner for brass, tried it once and didn’t think it did a good job.  For cleaning I wet tumble with a mixture of Strat-o-Sheen, Lemishine and car wash/wax.  Using that mixture I’ve been able to eliminate the pins in the tumbler. 

I put in a little soap with water, bring home, rinse and put in Lyman sonic cleaner with the Turbo brass stuff. Rinse let dry and put in bucket to be dry tumbled. It comes out pretty and shiny. :)

Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived