SASS Wire Forum

Using small rifle primers for pistol cartridges

Buckshot Bear

I have reloaded commercially for years, small rifle primers are the same spec as small magnum pistol primers.

At the low charges used in CAS, you may not notice none to very small changes in our ammo.

-------------------

The same is not true with large pistol / rifle primers.

They are not interchangeable due to primer cup length.

I've been using small rifle primers in both pistol and rifle with the same powder charges that I use when using Federal primers. I noticed no pressure change, but with the light loads used in cowboy action shooting I wouldn't expect any pressure signs. If you are loading hot loads, you might have a problem. You are responsible for what you try, my statement is just what i experienced.

J.M.

1 minute ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Horder?

5000 primers is just two three hour days of loading.

When I was loading commercially for cas shooters, I would load 2500 each morning. (3 to 3.5 hours, 6 days a week)

When I was practicing, 5000 wouldn't get close to lasting a month.  I was running through close to 2000 a week.  There's no way to maintain that now.  I don't think I've shot that much in the last year.

I have used them without issue. You have your nay sayers, but in actual experience from people who have used them I haven't heard of one problem that has arrised from using them.

14 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I have reloaded commercially for years, small rifle primers are the same spec as small magnum pistol primers.

At the low charges used in CAS, you may not notice none to very small changes in our ammo.

-------------------

The same is not true with large pistol / rifle primers.

They are not interchangeable due to primer cup length.

+1

Just out of curiosity what were they selling them for?

21 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Just out of curiosity what were they selling them for?

Federals and $90 a brick because I bought them all. Last time a different gun shop had some federal SPP in I paid $130

Three years ago I was paying $43 a brick :(

18 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Federals and $90 a brick because I bought them all. Last time a different gun shop had some federal SPP in I paid $130

Three years ago I was paying $43 a brick :(

$90 AUD is still cheaper than here.  $100 AUD here on average and higher if you add in shipping and Hazmat charge.  More like $140+ AUD.

On 10/30/2021 at 10:46 AM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Yup, I remember when 1000 primers went up to $11!

Ah, but more importantly can you remember what happened yesterday? :)

3 minutes ago, watab kid said:

ive got both small pistol and rifle but in small quantities , sounds like i have a combined adequate quantity , for a little while anyway , 

I reload for myself and 5 family members, they chew through ammo.

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing this back for a question.  Knowing that small rifle primers are same as small pistol is good, but what about small rifle MAGNUM primers?  Are those interchangeable with small pistol magnum (which for CAS use would be same as SP)?  In particular, does being magnum make them have a harder cup that would take more force to set off?

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Bringing this back for a question.  Knowing that small rifle primers are same as small pistol is good, but what about small rifle MAGNUM primers?  Are those interchangeable with small pistol magnum (which for CAS use would be same as SP)?  In particular, does being magnum make them have a harder cup that would take more force to set off?

Depends. Go to SKSboards and look up primer info chart it will answer most of your ?. I think the CCI are a little softer than when this article was written but very good info there.

kR

4 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Might want to read this test on rifle primers.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346914

Thanks.  That tells me that the cci small rifle magnum cups were probably harder than standard a dozen years ago, but I'm wondering if that has changed now that cci standard cups seem more like Federal.

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Depends. Go to SKSboards and look up primer info chart it will answer most of your ?. I think the CCI are a little softer than when this article was written but very good info there.

kR

Thanks.  A 2010 discussion indicated that the magnum cups are harder, but again has anything changed?  I am going to assume that they are still harder unless some folks come forward and say they have been using them with no problems in their tuned CAS guns.  Natchez has had the small magnum rifle lately .

Abilene, I have 1K of the Magnum CCI srp arriving tomorrow and will test them to see if they are indeed harder than the spp. The cup should be a few thousands thicker but if my rifles set them off there probably isn't a great deal of difference. My revolvers have a little stronger springs in them so that should be no problem.

kR

8 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Abilene, I have 1K of the Magnum CCI srp arriving tomorrow and will test them to see if they are indeed harder than the spp. The cup should be a few thousands thicker but if my rifles set them off there probably isn't a great deal of difference. My revolvers have a little stronger springs in them so that should be no problem.

kR

Not really thicker, just a harder cup.

OLG 

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not really thicker, just a harder cup.

OLG 

According to the article they are indeed thicker. 25 thousands opposed to either 17 or 20 thousands. If you disagree with that go to SKSboards and get them to set the record straight. I'm not making any claims just trying to help a fellow shooter.

kR

Archived