SASS Wire Forum

Army Artillery collar device

Artillery and Air Defense Artillery have been separate branches since 1968.

The ADA was initially under Coastal Artillery Command.

Ha!! That's funny. I just finished tearing everything apart looking for mine for the last 2 hours!!

... anyhow ... 

I remember being in a PX one time and buying one (with the missle) ... because they didn't have any with just the crossed cannons (I don't think they knew the difference either).  

I wasn't the only one ... and everything went just dandy until the next time we had to put on dress uniforms and the Captain saw them.

... AND ...

He explained the difference to us ... sigh ... :(

• 4 weeks later...

Ohhhhhh Kaaaaayyyy ...

Because of this thread ... I have been looking for these guys for 27 days!!! 

Today I found them ... 

Soooooooooo ... I am gonna post them!! (found a bunch of Polaroids too ... wonder how long they last??!?)

The real one and the one that got the Captain upset!!  s10.gif.28c479632f1c3f626ea4a379f12d5328.gif

artillery.jpg.f85b80acb8a4cf5bc3b59a610f236981.jpg

On 10/28/2021 at 8:58 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Originally it was crossed cannons, the some time in the 50s, 60s it was crossed cannons with a rocket.  Recently I saw that it was only crossed cannons. Is that right?  This gun bunny wants to know.

The one with the rocket is Air Defense Artillery (ADA), ***NOT*** the artillery branch.  ADA are the "duck hunters," or dudes with anti-aircraft weapons, as well as Patriots, THAAD, and other things that shoot stuff out of the air.  The artillery branch insignia has never changed; they are different people.

I was wearing the crossed canon and the CC with the Nike interchangeably from 1961 to 1968. Never knew they represented different weapon systems. Was in Lacross Missile, 155 Toad, 8" SP then went Intelligence and got to wear the daggered Daisy then just before out I wore the silver star with the crest of the General Staff.   Liked the AIS best but the General staff was certainly the easiest.

Archived