My favorite 357

Trigger Mike

21 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

1.  Kimber k6s

2.  Colt King Cobra

3.  Ruger GP100

4.  S & W 66

5.  Colt mk III.

TM, for what purpose? For carrying? Or just in general?

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

TM, for what purpose? For carrying? Or just in general?

I bunched them together based on what is good in general as well as carry.  To me the 686 is just too heavy.  When I carried it as a patrolman it was a constant struggle to keep my pants up.  

I didn't mention the 66 in my initial post as i forgot to.  It is lighter than the 686 and a good,  accurate revolver.  Especially with a pachmyre grip.  

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

If your gun is a Model 28 (there is no such thing as an M28, it is a Model 28), then it is not from the early 50s, as they did not give them model numbers until 1957. If it is from the early 50s, it is simply a Highway Patrolman.

That M28 thing - that is one of my pet peeves. I've noticed as I've got older that I seem to be getting more and more pet peeves. I have so many now that I barely have room for them to run around, and Purina Peeve Chow ain't getting any cheaper.

Well my M28 must be late 50s 

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

Favorite to shoot - Colt Python, favorite to admire - Colt 2nd Gen SAA ( the latest 357 I acquired), favorite to carry backwoods - Ruger Security Six (the 1st 357 I bought decades ago!)

Like others, too many to choose. It's always been my favorite caliber. My first two handguns were a SS Blackhawk Liberty Model, and a Colt Trooper Mk III. Still have them. Two 3 screw Blackhawks. 2 1/2" Smith 19 (it lives in my bug out bag). Gave one of my sons my Smith 686 (kinda wish I had it back). Also a blue SAA clone (think it's a Pietta) from Longhunter that's been tuned about 3 times. Gave it's twin (consec. serial #) to my brother in law. I guess if I had to pick favorites it would be a 3 screw Blackhawk or the little Smith.

JHC

10-15 years ago I had a 8-3/8" 686, a Dan Wesson Model 15 kit, a Ruger Bisley scoped, a T/C with a 10" barrel and a GP-100 with a 6" barrel.

Today a 4.2" SP-101 meets all of my needs with this great mid-bore chambering.  My big guns are .45s.

The only .357 I own. So far... 7 shot Ruger GP100.

On the list:

Ruger 8 shot .357 magnum Redhawk

S&W Highway Patrolman

With only 2 exceptions my whole time owning guns as an adult, I have only had one centerfire handgun at a time, and with only 4 exceptions, those handguns have been .357 magnum revolvers.  I got into gun ownership during Obummer's administration and ammo was difficult to come by.   I decided to minimize my logistics worries and focus on reloading 1 cartridge that would do 80% of everything I could see as firearm needs for myself at the time.  .357 magnum was the cartridge that could do almost anything for me, so I bought my first .357 Magnum, a Ruger 77/357 and strong contender for my favorite .357 I have owned.  shortly thereafter I bought my first centerfire handgun, a Ruger LCR in 38 special.  the 38LCR was too much recoil for my new to me wife and I wanted a Magnum, so the LCR was leveraged to purchase the 4.2" SP101, which is an amazing gun.  enough barrel to pacify the "9mm is just as good as .357" crowd, light enough for EDC on the hip, heavy enough to let my wife enjoy 38's and me to tolerate .357's.  it is the gun I have judged every other carry gun I have had since.  I won't get into all the reasons why each transaction took place but the SP101 gave way to a Security Six, which was replaced by a 9mm because I needed something, and that was replaced by a 6" 7shot Taurus tracker I carried briefly, tracker gone, I now have the 3 inch, six shot, 25 oz Charter Arms Professional V.  

the CA ProV is not my favorite .357 magnum, but it is the cheapest gun that checks every stinkin box for what I want in a carry gun.

image.thumb.png.ec1322868e7b3cb1fbeb4f6b5b8d5207.png

.357 Magnum

6 shots (more than 5, best compatibility with quality speed loaders, not too bulky)

less than 30 Oz total carry weight, (gun, holster, ammunition in the gun. does not include weight of reloads as those are carried in other locations)

at least 22 Oz empty weight for recoil tolerance.

at least a 3" barrel

Good Sights

other benefits

Made in the USA

Lifetime Guarantee

$375 new in 2020

compatible with all grips for CA's

the only other current production guns I can think of off the top of my head that meet all my carry requirements are the Kimber K6S, the Chiappa Rhino and the Colt King Cobra Carry, these are all over twice what I paid for the gun I have.  I think that they are all better guns than the one I have, but times are what they are.  If there are any others that meet my criteria, I can't think of them, you'll notice who doesn't have a revolver on this list, Ruger and S&W.  

Other .357's I've had Win94AE and now my Rossi 92.  

If I can only have 1 .357 of the one's I've owned, I'll have to default to my CA because it is the box checking compromise king (although I'd rather have the 4 inch black finish, this was just what was available). 

my top three favorite .357's that i've owned were the 77/357, SP101 and Win94AE.  

My Grail .357

image.png.4d101db411eee674dc7e45205bfc1256.png

PS, if I ever show up to a Wild Bunch match with one of these, don't pay any attention to the brass coming out of the gun, it identifies as 45 ACP for cowboy purposes.

6 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

My Grail .357

image.png.4d101db411eee674dc7e45205bfc1256.png

PS, if I ever show up to a Wild Bunch match with one of these, don't pay any attention to the brass coming out of the gun, it identifies as 45 ACP for cowboy purposes.

A coworker of mine kept teasing that he had a Coonan that he wanted to sell. His banter went on for months. He actually brought it into work and let me check it out. I wanted that gun, big time. 
Then one day the #%$& tells me he sold it at the gun show after telling me time and time again that I had first dibs. 
Well, let’s just say there was a falling out. 

On 10/28/2021 at 1:42 PM, DeaconKC said:

Any S&W N frame 357s are just plain joys to shoot!

I agree with you on that.

I have 8 N Frame S&Ws in this pic but 2 that are not.

28s, 27s, 520s, and the one bottom right is not .357 but .38 SPL it is a .38-44 Heavy Duty.

IMG_0185.JPG

Just now, Dustin Checotah said:

28s, 27s, 520s, and the one bottom right is not .358 but .38 SPL it is a .38-44 Heavy Duty.

IMG_0185.JPG

Man, where is the drool emoji?

56 minutes ago, Dustin Checotah said:

28s, 27s, 520s, and the one bottom right is not .357 but .38 SPL it is a .38-44 Heavy Duty.

IMG_0185.JPG

..................... now that's just plain greedy .......    :P

On 10/28/2021 at 2:48 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The only other DA gun I had that I liked as much was a S&W M-1917 in original .45 ACP.  Another one I'd like to have again.

This one I inherited just before my 13th birthday as a matter of fact it was 55years ago last Saturday. It didn't have the stock grips on it when I got it I put the newer S&W Magna grips on it then I put barkless elk staghorn grips from Grashorn on it That is how it looks today.

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

Archived