SASS Wire Forum

WinClean 244

Snakebite

My LGS just got some in, but I haven't tried it yet. If I do I will let you know what I find

Well what the heck, I ordered 8# of it. It's suppose to be a good med/light load in all pistol cartridges. If I don't like it I can sprinkle it on my cereal. I've given up trying to find any more Clean Shot or Extra Lite. The only place I ever see Clean Shot won't ship it..... so :P

Snakebite

11 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Well what the heck, I ordered 8# of it. It's suppose to be a good med/light load in all pistol cartridges. If I don't like it I can sprinkle it on my cereal. I've given up trying to find any more Clean Shot or Extra Lite. The only place I ever see Clean Shot won't ship it..... so :P

Snakebite

I can sure spare you a pound or two of Extra Lite, if you need it.  Just let me know and I'll drop it by.  

19 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I can sure spare you a pound or two of Extra Lite, if you need it.  Just let me know and I'll drop it by.  

Tnx for the kind offer, but I still have 2-3 lbs of Extra Lite left, was just keeping a eye open for more. I came into some STS hulls, so I'm loading them up!  It's the Clean Shot that I'm about out of. I'm down to half a hopper full on the 650.... then I'll have to change to something else. I have a couple of options available. 

16 minutes ago, JJ “Reb” Wainwright 110206 said:

@Snakebite
When I was researching 244, I found this to be an informative article:

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/propellant-profiles-9

JJ

Nice article, Thank you for the heads up. I might go buy another 8 lbs of it.

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased a LB of this and was wandering it anyone has tried it yet. I was going to load a few 38 bullets, 158 and 125 with 3.5 grain and see how it goes.

I loaded 3.2 gn behind a 105 gn TC epoxy bullet in my 38's. Couldn't tell them from the Clean Shot that I had been shooting. At that rate I ought to get 17,500 rounds out of the Jug. 

Snakebite

I got a couple jugs of it and loaded up a few different loads. It’s extremely clean and seems very consistent. I kinda like 4.0 grns with a 125 grn bullet for.357. Feels similar to the same weight Trailboss.

Laramie

I bought some W244 to see how it compares to Bullseye for 148 grain Wadcutter .38 Special loads. 
It seems 244 is a fast powder. It burns cleaner than Bullseye and to me just a tad hotter.
I was going to try it in .45 Colt but decided against it. I have other powders for that. 
I haven’t tried 244 for any other loads or cartridges. 
One other thing, 244 meters really nicely from my RCBS Uniflow measure with the Small Micro Adjustment Screw. I can throw very consistent 2.6 grain loads for Wadcutters with this powder.  

Archived