SASS Wire Forum

Importance of the Unloading Table

Dusty Devil Dale

Need I say It?

The recent filming industry tragedy and apparent negligence points up how accidents really can happen when guns are not thoroughly checked and confirmed unloaded.   We have very strong procedures to protect against a CAS accident of this nature. 

Please folks, DO TAKE YOUR UNLOADING TABLE TASKS VERY SERIOUSLY.  

No - do take your "don't point a gun at anyone", and your "keep your finger off the trigger", and your "all guns should always be considered loaded" rules seriously.

Let's not be silly and equate what we do in SASS/CAS with some Hollywood production and their methods of operation...

How long are folks going to milk this story...good Lord!

Phantom

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

No - do take your "don't point a gun at anyone", and your "keep your finger off the trigger", and your "all guns should always be considered loaded" rules seriously.

Let's not be silly and equate what we do in SASS/CAS with some Hollywood production and their methods of operation...

How long are folks going to milk this story...good Lord!

Phantom

Sorry.  I had not seen it "milked" previously.  I wasn't implying anything, just asking folks to take seriously what the rules require.  Sorry to offend you again.  

If you had seen the hunting fatalities that I had to investigate over years past, you'd probably better understand why I posted this.  The largest part of them were family members killed by a shotgun, on State managed hunting areas, while somebody was situating an "unloaded" gun into,  or removing one from a vehicle.  All of them had taken hunter safety courses and knew the  Commandments you referred to.  But they were human.  

Don't fool yourself.  It doesn't only happen on movie filming sets.  

While I don't know what all went on, it's obvious that these Hollywood Numbskulls broke pretty much all the basic firearms safety rules.  Muzzle control is everything, followed by considering any gun as loaded (even when you know it is not).  Frankly, I think that any of us with firearms training and experience would have checked the gun ourselves rather than trust someone else and under no circumstance would we be pointing it at anyone, much less pulling the trigger while doing so.  Most of these Hollywood Numbskulls are anti-gun in the first place and should be required to get firearms training before even touching a real gun.  Actually using a real gun as a prop is a bad idea anyway, at least in my opinion, but having live rounds on the set is insanity and it now appears that they were even using this gun for live fire target practice prior to the accident.  Geese, just how stupid can you get!  I think they all are criminally negligent and hope they all get sued for everything they are worth and serve time in jail.  Accidents do happen, but being a movie star or producer shouldn't give one a free pass when it comes to something like this!  

9 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Sorry to offend you again.

Ha! Yeah...I'm really "offended".:lol:

9 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Don't fool yourself.  It doesn't only happen on movie filming sets.

Comprehension is a wonderful thing. I was very specific in my language...try reading my comment again. Here it is: Let's not be silly and equate what we do in SASS/CAS with some Hollywood production and their methods of operation...

Oy...

Phantom

1 hour ago, Bison Bud said:

While I don't know what all went on, it's obvious that these Hollywood Numbskulls broke pretty much all the basic firearms safety rules.  Muzzle control is everything, followed by considering any gun as loaded (even when you know it is not).  Frankly, I think that any of us with firearms training and experience would have checked the gun ourselves rather than trust someone else and under no circumstance would we be pointing it at anyone, much less pulling the trigger while doing so.  Most of these Hollywood Numbskulls are anti-gun in the first place and should be required to get firearms training before even touching a real gun.  Actually using a real gun as a prop is a bad idea anyway, at least in my opinion, but having live rounds on the set is insanity and it now appears that they were even using this gun for live fire target practice prior to the accident.  Geese, just how stupid can you get!  I think they all are criminally negligent and hope they all get sued for everything they are worth and serve time in jail.  Accidents do happen, but being a movie star or producer shouldn't give one a free pass when it comes to something like this!  

And with today's cinematography capability, why should they EVER need to have live ammunition on a movie set?  But like us, they had rules requiring two people's eyes to be involved--and they broke their rules. 

But my OP was more about diligence while doing the ULTO job.  I've seen some laxity at times -- people loading C&B revolvers while staffing the ULT, etc. 

But the most common errors I see came out of distraction, i.e., when a "bad gun" is brought to the ULT  to be made safe or especially if disassembled, or when a dispute or question is being addressed over a call.  In the over-crowded space and turmoil,   those are the times when I see people show up and be surprised at the next LT with uncleared guns-- and occasionally (but admittedly, very rarely-- I have only seen it one time), with a live round or two.   

Just give priority to paying attention --that is all I'm saying. 

One can load cap and ball revolvers at the ULT so long as one focuses on one task at at a time.  Trying to oversee unloading while simultaneously charging revolvers increases the likelihood of errors on both tasks.

3 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

One can load cap and ball revolvers at the ULT so long as one focuses on one task at at a time.  Trying to oversee unloading while simultaneously charging revolvers increases the likelihood of errors on both tasks.

I usually charge my cylinders while working the ULT, but I stop charging when the shooter comes to the table.  Both tasks deserve my full attention. 

Isn’t it ironic that Alec Baldwin, a huge anti-gun, anti-2nd Ammendment advocate, shoots and kills someone.  He was lazy or stupid and took the word of someone that the gun was “cold” (their term).  If he spent some time to learn gun safety instead of gun bashing maybe he’d be saying hello instead of goodbye to that woman. 

46 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Isn’t it ironic that Alec Baldwin, a huge anti-gun, anti-2nd Ammendment advocate, shoots and kills someone.  He was lazy or stupid and took the word of someone that the gun was “cold” (their term).  If he spent some time to learn gun safety instead of gun bashing maybe he’d be saying hello instead of goodbye to that woman. 

Fully agree -- IF it was an accident.    Still questions there.  

Who in their right mind would think that a topic about ULT is NOT directly related to Cowboy shooting. What could they be thinking to move this from the wire to the saloon? The ULT Officer is the last official chance to be sure that the firearms are properly unloaded and in a safe condition to go on to the next stage.

kR

3 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Who in their right mind would think that a topic about ULT is NOT directly related to Cowboy shooting. What could they be thinking to move this from the wire to the saloon? The ULT Officer is the last official chance to be sure that the firearms are properly unloaded and in a safe condition to go on to the next stage.

kR

Because it turned so quickly about 'the event' in the news, and NOT about CAS.;)

We all know the importance of clearing guns.

If YOU see an ULT officer NOT doing their job, ask the TO/PM/RO/ whom ever is in charge, to replace them. Done.

13 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

...All of them had taken hunter safety courses and knew the  Commandments you referred to.  But they were human.  

sometimes it is not a human:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/dog-shoots-hunters/

The human was negligent in rendering the wepon safe before relinquishing possession.

You never consider a firearm safe when someone hands it to ya.You should check it yourself to make sure.

Largo

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

kR

Perhaps it was the fact that the ULT issue was framed in the context of a Hollywood production screw-up: "The recent filming industry tragedy and apparent negligence points up how accidents really can happen when guns are not thoroughly checked and confirmed unloaded."

And we (SASS/CAS), somehow need to be reminded that guns should always be considered loaded...??

Whatever...

:wacko:

the ULT is critical.  at a non SASS cowboy shoot, one of the organizers touched off a round while transfering his lever gun from his cart to his pickup bed.  

There's a reason that
- Failure to adhere to loading and unloading procedures

(SHB pp. 22 & 28/RO1 pp.28 & 34)

is a STAGE DISQUALIFICATION.

Those are some of the PRIMARY safety protocols S.A.S.S. has in place.

Archived