SASS Wire Forum

PROGRESSIVE RECOIL REDUCERS

Buckshot Bear

The topic of recoil reducers comes up on the shotgun websites all the time.  The only value things like those in your picture have is to add WEIGHT.  Weight reduces recoil.  The lighter the shotgun the more it is going to kick.  Period.  A cheaper solution with the same effect is to simply fill a shotshell or tube with lead and stick it in the stock.  The mercury recoil reducers "work" not because of the magical properties of mercury but because mercury is HEAVY.  The cheapest device that actually reduces "felt" recoil is the GraCoil.  Followed by the RAD and other increasingly pricey solutions.

https://graco-corp.com/product/gc15s-gracoil/

https://www.hartshooting.com

If this is what I think it is, Larsons picture is not the same. If it's the Australian made unit it is an improved version.

A local fella worked out a long time ago how to improve it and another local bloke was making them. Great items (especially the improved items .....   :)

These lace up butt pads are what I use on my shotgun. They really help and they look good too. Also, I shoot “light” shotgun ammo. Winchester AA 12 gauge “light target” loads. 

It really helps if I provide the link:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/shooting-supplies-accessories/recoil-and-cheek-pads/slip-on-lace-up-butt-pads.html

Not sure if they are still being made, but a fellow CASS member in Texas named Ken Rucker installs a Bumpbuster on shotguns. Have one on my BT99 trap gun and it works great. He has a version for CAS guns. Pricy, but worth it. I'm still banging away at 84.

23 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

....... improved weight .........   ;)

Yep.

26 minutes ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

Not sure if they are still being made, but a fellow CASS member in Texas named Ken Rucker installs a Bumpbuster on shotguns. Have one on my BT99 trap gun and it works great. He has a version for CAS guns. Pricy, but worth it. I'm still banging away at 84.

I think the guy doing the bump buster retired.

Just checked the Bump Buster has a new owner.

http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com

First

Is the LOP correct for her? An incorrect LOP especially if it is too long increases felt recoil.

Next it should have about 5 to 10 degrees of negative pitch. See the below picture. The stock as shown has negative Pitch. Too little pitch concentrates recoil in sensitive areas. 

all-american-gun-diagram2.png

Is she holding the SG correctly? It should be in the same location as her bra strap.

More here

Cowboy SS Stoeger (Boito) @Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 Larsen,

I was going to buy a press to reload shells (really don't want to), but a long term mate of mine has 'remanufactured' a couple of hundred factory shells for me and lightened them a lot and put a roll crimp in the top.

My wife likes them a lot better and they still have enough oomph to knock the plates over, mate doesn't mind doing them for me, but I feel its a big ask long term.

22 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

BB should have asked.  What kind of shotgun are we talking about?  A cowboy gun or hunting gun?

@Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 Larson, to add to what I wrote about the shells my mate is doing up for me. He's shortening them, roll crimping and cutting cork wads.

1073774484_20211028_115134_resizedcopy.thumb.jpg.7c9eedc58862117e4ca4ed79ac6511e8.jpg

1393944869_20211028_115145_resizedcopy.thumb.jpg.196087569b4c89a905b0049d9d755798.jpg

18 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

First

Is the LOP correct for her? An incorrect LOP especially if it is too long increases felt recoil.

Next it should have about 5 to 10 degrees of negative pitch. See the below picture. The stock as shown has negative Pitch. Too little pitch concentrates recoil in sensitive areas. 

all-american-gun-diagram2.png

Is she holding the SG correctly? It should be in the same location as her bra strap.

More here

SD presently the SS is being shared with my wife and two daughter in laws. There's just no other ones available (some stainless and two ridiculously over priced blued ones) presently that I can locate in any of the gunshops I've contacted. 

I asked what kind of shotgun because that directly affects how much stock fitting is going to be done.  On a CAS double barrel about all that is done is shorten the stock and add a recoil pad.  Much more is not cost effective.  Some shot (weight) in the stock bolt hole, a good recoil pad AND light loads is the ticket for most CAS shotgun recoil issues.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I asked what kind of shotgun because that directly affects how much stock fitting is going to be done.  On a CAS double barrel about all that is done is shorten the stock and add a recoil pad.  Much more is not cost effective.  Some shot (weight) in the stock bolt hole, a good recoil pad AND light loads is the ticket for most CAS shotgun recoil issues.

@Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933  Larsen would those cut down shells and roll crimps still be legal for CAS?

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Whoever did the shortened roll crimps shells did a nice job.

He said it doesn't take him that long to do one and can work through a couple of hundred in no time. He cuts the cork out flooring cork tiles with a wad cutter and hammer. The roll crimp tool he has is pretty neat. I've known him over 20 years, he won't take any money but I know the scotch that he likes.

Also the Remington Supercell pad is outstanding at soaking up recoil.

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

You can buy 12ga. shotgun wads really cheap. Saves the hassle of making your own!

You've missed the point mate, these aren't reloaded fired shells there remanfactured unfired shells. Look at the length of the shell....... There's a reason for those cork wads. 

OP,
You might consider a DIY dead-mule.
Put some lead shot in a baggie, and fill the butt stock bolt cavity with it.
This is a quick hack that is easy to install, easy to undo.
This will add significant mass to the shotgun, but will also bias the weight balance more to the rear.

Archived