SASS Wire Forum

Found a Cowboy after Bordertown

Lawdog Dago Dom

After an absolutely fabulous time in Tombstone, we began the 20 hour drive home. Just outside of Amarillo, we decided to spend the night. Two miles from our hotel, a bag of tools fell off of a flatbed pickup in front of us.

I swear it was the proverbial "bag of hammers."

We had no where to go and ran it over.

Heard metal dragging on the road immediately. Oh $#@%!

At that moment I thought about all the tires I had changed for people during my career. All hours of the day. All types of weather. Hoping I had built up some "brownie" points and could get some of that goodwill to boomerang back.

Pulled into the hotel parking lot and looked. The tail pipe had been ripped off the back of the muffler and was dragging, and the muffler hanging with no rear support.

And it was 8:30 PM and dark. In the dark, 600 miles from home and I am thinking about coat hangers.

Guy parked next to us rolled down his window and said, "You guys need a welder for that."

Yes we do. Where do I find a welder in Amarillo, Texas going on 9 PM?

The guy said, "I have one right here."

Our parking lot neighbor, Daniel, had a big Lincoln welder in his truck bed. He is a pipeline welder and a welding instructor.

Wow!

While Shortcake went to get food, I helped Daniel get set up.

An hour later I was having a beer with our new friend in a hotel parking lot in Amarillo.

He didn't want money. I assured him that if he didn't take my money, Shortcake would just use it to buy more clothes, and she has too much already. He finally relented and accepted our cash.

Karma, sometimes can be sweet.

Some angels don't have wings.

They have welding equipment.

Cowboy on, Daniel!

• 2 weeks later...

Love stories like this.  Just goes to show everyone that there are really good people out there.  Try to be the good guy !

Archived