SASS Wire Forum

List of Gunsmiths/Gunshops that sell new guns that are ready for SASS?

July Smith

I have a few new shooters that are interested in this sport but the idea of buying guns to then immediately ship them off to a gunsmith is not to their liking.  I try and tell them they can get into this sport with stock guns, but the problem is they have already tried out and borrowed "tuned" guns and know what a huge difference it makes. 

I am aware of Long Hunter, but are there any other gunsmiths or gunshops that sell new guns that are ready for SASS right out of the box?  I understand a lot of SASS gunsmiths have an inventory of used guns with action work, but I am mainly looking for a list of shops or smiths that deal in selling new firearms with action work already performed. 

July, face facts ….. if non stock firearms are going to give you the capability to win belt buckles and championships, slick them up … otherwise forget about slicking them up, because your wasting your money and wait times at the gunsmiths

38 minutes ago, John Boy said:

July, face facts ….. if non stock firearms are going to give you the capability to win belt buckles and championships, slick them up … otherwise forget about slicking them up, because your wasting your money and wait times at the gunsmiths

Not sure were this is coming from, but regardless of skill level I think most can appreciate a well tuned action.  The purpose of this thread was simply to acquire names and sources of firearms that are ready to go out of the box.

Evil Roy- evilroy.com

Boomstick Jay often has used guns ready to go.

As Phantom suggested several gunsmiths will get the guns and slick them before sending them.  I know Barleycorn Outfitters will also send his to a gunsmith of your choosing for you, so talk to the smiths.

Not currently,  but as of jan we will be carrying full sets from budget minded to money to burn price levels.  Depending on supply of course. I've contacted several smiths about getting various  levels of work done on guns .

16 hours ago, July Smith said:

Not sure were this is coming from, but regardless of skill level I think most can appreciate a well tuned action.  The purpose of this thread was simply to acquire names and sources of firearms that are ready to go out of the box.

Totally agree especially when it comes to the Uberti’s, they would not be fun out of the box and eat themselves up, Rugers some spring changes and they are ready to go

Ive personally suggested Cody to new shooters and never had a. Complaint that I steered them wrong

What I have seen most average shooters can't tell a good gunsmith action from a factory action.  About the top 1/3 of the shooters might tell the difference, some where around the the top 15% can tell.  Take 4-6 guns, only two with action jobs, ask shooters to cycle the action, tell them you are looking to send a pair of SAA's off and want to know which gunsmith to send them too.  Don't tell them only two are worked on! Have them tell you which action is best felling you will get surprised.

29 minutes ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

What I have seen most average shooters can't tell a good gunsmith action from a factory action.  About the top 1/3 of the shooters might tell the difference, some where around the the top 15% can tell.  Take 4-6 guns, only two with action jobs, ask shooters to cycle the action, tell them you are looking to send a pair of SAA's off and want to know which gunsmith to send them too.  Don't tell them only two are worked on! Have them tell you which action is best felling you will get surprised.

I bet I wouldn't.   Anyone can tell the difference between a stock gun and an action job done by a competent Smith.  Night and day difference.   Although I will agree about 80 percent will never see the improvement enough to justify the high dollar action work.   It doesn't matter. If they think they will do better with it,  they will.  90 percent of succeeding at this game is mindset. 

Archived