SASS Wire Forum

Owners of the former Cleveland Indians being sued

Rye Miles #13621

Roller Derby is still around and word has it, more popular than ever!!

I hope that they win and Cleveland Baseball has to pay through the nose!!

15 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Two teams with the same name?  Unheard of!  Shocking!  :lol:

image.jpeg.ef430c4e37d28b37ff28e3c3477b8541.jpeg       image.jpeg.d1457035613355fddd86c09619cd8755.jpeg

I'm sure there was a mutual agreement which there seems to not exist with the teams here!!

16 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Or perhaps it was before the day of “sue everyone”.

That very well could be true!!;)

Any roller derby event is mostly a lot more entertaining than most baseball games. I loved playing baseball, but it can be boring to watch, at times.

Some sports seem to be more fun to play, than to watch. 

I hope the roller derby team wins, but I bet the baseball organization has more highly paid lawyers, so it may not be too difficult to see where this is going.

Sometimes, I think it is the one's with the most expensive lawyers, that get the win.

They should have not caved, and been so weiner politically correct. There is zero negative connotation in the name "Indians". Having "native-American" ancestors, I find no fault in the name. I am proud of it. 

Someone, somewhere, somehow, is going to have their wittle fweelings hurt, and be "offended", no matter what. 

Get over it, and get a life, for crying in a bucket!!!

Grow a spine, and do something useful, instead of complaining.  

Just my own B.G. opinion. 

W.K. 

12 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Any roller derby event is mostly a lot more entertaining than most baseball games. I loved playing baseball, but it can be boring to watch, at times.

Some sports seem to be more fun to play, than to watch. 

I hope the roller derby team wins, but I bet the baseball organization has more highly paid lawyers, so it may not be too difficult to see where this is going.

Sometimes, I think it is the one's with the most expensive lawyers, that get the win.

They should have not caved, and been so weiner politically correct. There is zero negative connotation in the name "Indians". Having "native-American" ancestors, I find no fault in the name. I am proud of it. 

Someone, somewhere, somehow, is going to have their wittle fweelings hurt, and be "offended", no matter what. 

Get over it, and get a life, for crying in a bucket!!!

Grow a spine, and do something useful, instead of complaining.  

Just my own B.G. opinion. 

W.K. 

The Indians have probably already have a ton of Guardians stuff to sell and uniforms designed etc. They’ll probably win but I bet they pay big bucks to the roller derby team! 
Personally I hope they lose and have to get another name! Worst owners ever!

Maybe they should have put it to the vote, and let the people of the whole State, decide if they wanted to change the name.

Then, if the majority of the people wanted to change the name, then have a State-wide naming contest, and let the people decide. 

Naming a sports team, so as not to "offend", ain't easy in this day, and stupid time....

Let's see...

Cleveland Crackers....nope...might offend the "white" people. 

Cleveland Engines....nope...might offend those that think the internal combustion engine is the anti-Christ. 

Cleveland NDN's....nope...not spelled the same way, but pronounced the same way. 

Cleveland Cutthroats...nope...reminds too many people of politicians.

Cleveland Crusaders....nope....would offend muslim terrorists, since it reminds them of the crusades. 

Cleveland Cows....nope....cows, according to some animal groups, are exploited enough, as it is.

Cleveland Crows....nope....reminds some of jim crow laws.

Cleveland Krakens....nope....the city is too far from the oceans, to identify with a sea creature, and besides, like a concerned politician, it is a mythological creature.

Cleveland Crabs....nope....it would remind too many people of their youthful risky behavior.

Cleveland Cleavers....nope...."progressive" moms would say that is glorifying an edged weapon. 

Cleveland Native Americans...nope...there are no "native" Americans...everyone is likely aware that our early ancestors came from some place else, so that would be deceitful. (better???)

Cleveland Cats....nope....again, the animal rights groups would point out that cats are too exploited as it is. 

Cleveland Dogs...nope....that name may reveal how good the team is playing, that year. 

You know...if the Cleveland baseball team, and the old Esso gasoline company, could have gotten together, they could have named their team the Bee's.

Yep....they could have been called the Cleveland Esso Bee's.  :lol: 

W.K. 

40 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Maybe they should have put it to the vote, and let the people of the whole State, decide if they wanted to change the name.

Then, if the majority of the people wanted to change the name, then have a State-wide naming contest, and let the people decide. 

Naming a sports team, so as not to "offend", ain't easy in this day, and stupid time....

Let's see...

Cleveland Engines....nope...might offend those that think the internal combustion engine is the anti-Christ. 

Cleveland NDN's....nope...not spelled the same way, but pronounced the same way. 

Cleveland Crusaders....nope....would offend muslim terrorists, since it reminds them of the crusades. 

Cleveland Cows....nope....cows, according to some animal groups, are exploited enough, as it is.

Cleveland Krakens....nope....the city is too far from the oceans, to identify with a sea creature, and besides, like a concerned politician, it is a mythological creature.

Cleveland Crabs....nope....it would remind too many people of their youthful risky behavior.

Cleveland Cleavers....nope...."progressive" moms would say that is glorifying an edged weapon. 

Cleveland Native Americans...nope...there are no "native" Americans...all of us came from some place else, so that would be deceitful. 

Cleveland Cats....nope....again, the animal rights groups would point out that cats are too exploited as it is. 

Cleveland Dogs...nope....that name may reveal how good the team is playing, that year. 

You know...if the Cleveland baseball team, and the old Esso gasoline company, could have gotten together, they could have named their team the Bee's.

W.K. 

I wanted them to keep the name the Indians but if they insisted on changing it I said The Commodores after Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, battle of Lake Erie ! 

55 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The Indians have probably already have a ton of Guardians stuff to sell and uniforms designed etc. They’ll probably win but I bet they pay big bucks to the roller derby team! 
Personally I hope they lose and have to get another name! Worst owners ever!

They don't even begin to match the owner of the Pirates. He refuses to pay for experienced players trades away fan favorites has the lowest payroll in baseball and makes his money from revenue sharing.  He won't sell the team because he is making to much money losing and MLB won't take the franchise away from him.

1 hour ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Let's see...

Cleveland Native Americans...nope...there are no "native" Americans...everyone is likely aware that our early ancestors came from some place else, so that would be deceitful. (better???)

W.K. 

Letting the public decide works really really well. Just ask the British

Boaty McBoatface.

Just offer the Roller Derby Team a free advertising billboard at the ballfield.

Archived