SASS Wire Forum

Breaking the sound barrier

Rye Miles #13621

The first picture looks to be a Blue Angel’s plane, which would make it an F/A 18A.  They use those early version of the F/A 18 because they are smaller and more maneuverable than the bigger, heavier E/F series.   

Always fascinated with these pictures.  Looks like sy-fy coming from another dimension. 

On 10/27/2021 at 8:15 AM, Tequila Shooter said:

The first picture looks to be a Blue Angel’s plane, which would make it an F/A 18A.  They use those early version of the F/A 18 because they are smaller and more maneuverable than the bigger, heavier E/F series.   

Actually the older version is retired. The Blue Angels are using the F/A 18E Super Hornets starting this season. They have been transitioning for almost a year.

2 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Actually the older version is retired. The Blue Angels are using the F/A 18E Super Hornets starting this season. They have been transitioning for almost a year.

It’s about time, I heard they were supposed to transition but I never heard that they did.  That “A” model was what over 40 years old already?

18 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

It’s about time, I heard they were supposed to transition but I never heard that they did.  That “A” model was what over 40 years old already?

I worked at Northrop (we built the main fuselage on the F-18). We shipped the first A model in June of 1978. We started the E/F assembly in 1998. I retired in 2000. I don't think the Navy has any of the old models left in inventory. I think everything is the Super Hornet version.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Thanks. That  was cool!

Aboard the USS Virginia one day at see it was beautiful sunny Spring day in the Med and pretty much everyone that had topside work to do was topside getting it done. I was working with my guys doing maintenance on the aft launcher when someone said "Hey, what the hell is that?". He was looking aft. We turned and jus as I realized what it was 2 F-14s in full burn with rooster tails from the ocean surface at about 25' elevation went past our ship, one port, one starboard. Boy did we get drenched!  One of  the coolest things I had ever seen. We weren't even mad that we had  to fresh water wash the missiles and launcher components that were under our open blast doors. The rooster tails must have been 40-50 feet high. Darned Impressive!

We found out later our Captain authorized the "Fly By". :D

The Blue Angels are really cool people. They used to come and visit our assembly area where we built the F-18's and smooze with everyone. When I say the Blue Angels, I mean not just the pilots, but the whole organization. Used to be a great moral booster for everyone.

Archived