SASS Wire Forum

Car Doors

Subdeacon Joe

Do you drive with them unlocked?  I do.  One less thing to worry about not working in case of a crash.

Our Nissan Leaf automatically locks the doors once we get to about 25 mph.   I unlock them. About the only time I lock them when driving is at a fast food drive through at night.

9 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

Safer to have them locked.  I believe it helps keep them closed in a crash.  Also lock as soon as you get in.  security risk to have them unlocked.   People can get in very quickly and disable you.  Locking the door takes away the ability. 

I've considered that.  But I figure that if I have the throttle and wheel, and just a little space, I have the upper hand.

22 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

They unlock on the second pull of the inside opening lever. 

In theory.

I like them locked. Mine lock upon putting it in Drive anyway. They unlock with the 1st pull of the interior door release also. I have items to knock (or shoot) the window out for escape if necessary as there is a good chance that the door will be jammed shut by a crash. As far as people trying to get into the vehicle while I'm in it, the locked doors gives me a extra few moments to assess and react to the threat.

Our Suburban locks when you put it in gear. 
My S10 locked the same way.

If you unlock the doors they relock at 25 mph. If you unlock them again then stop they will relock again at 25. 
I finally gave up and let them do their thing. 
My Mazda Miata remains as you leave them when driving. I normally leave my driver’s door unlocked but leave the passenger door locked when driving. 
Now my motorcycle, that’s a different matter all together. ;)

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Now my motorcycle, that’s a different matter all together. 

Does it also have automatic seatbelts? :D

One story, not sure if it's true, some idjit capon was pushing to make it mandatory for motorcycles to have seatbelts. Kept pushing it every session and wouldn't listen to anyone.  Some riders got together, rigged up a bike with a belt, got an appointment with the capon for a photo op in support of it.  Chatted him up, got him on the bike and belted in, all smiles for the photo.  Then they let go of the bike.

Made their point nicely.

6 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

DB1CC7E1-0C30-44A7-8C42-ADD41455839C.png

How???

29 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Does it also have automatic seatbelts? :D

One story, not sure if it's true, some idjit capon was pushing to make it mandatory for motorcycles to have seatbelts. Kept pushing it every session and wouldn't listen to anyone.  Some riders got together, rigged up a bike with a belt, got an appointment with the capon for a photo op in support of it.  Chatted him up, got him on the bike and belted in, all smiles for the photo.  Then they let go of the bike.

Made their point nicely.

My daughter was 10 when I got my Harley. When she got on for her first ride, she asked where is the seatbelt? I told her it didn't have any and she had to hold onto my waist. She then asked me "What if I fall asleep?" I told her "Don't"!:D

I don’t care for the automatic locking doors!  I have had to extricate myself from a vehicle where the door locks were jammed.  If I want it locked, I can do it myself.

I hate those windows that roll all the way up and down on one touch of the buttons even more!!  If you want to just open the window a little, it takes three or four tries to get it like I want it.

To be honest, I’ve been spoiled by Ol’ Green, my ‘97 dually!!  The windows roll up and down manually, the doors lock manually, the seats work with levers, and the tailgate only opens and closes.  It’s AMAZING how little ever goes wrong with that old beast!!  

I wouldn’t mind if it had cruise control, but even that helps me stay alert when I’m driving!

All that garbage does is make bad drivers worse!!  Cars today are designed so that simpletons who should never be given a license in the first place are less likely to kill themselves or worse, someone else!!

i like them locked - carjackers cant have easy access , 

my yukon has options - lock on starting , lock when in gear , lock at speed , ive used the lock on starting option 0 but it can be a pain if you start it get out and close the door without a spare key 

7 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

My daughter was 10 when I got my Harley. When she got on for her first ride, she asked where is the seatbelt? I told her it didn't have any and she had to hold onto my waist. She then asked me "What if I fall asleep?" I told her "Don't"!:D

That’s funny! :lol: 

When I bought my Kawasaki Vulcan my wife would go for rides with me. On the first ride she looked a little apprehensive and she was asking me “what if” questions. One of her questions was “what if I fall sleep and fall off?” I told her there was no chance in that as she would be looking at all the sights and that riding bikes isn’t boring. At the end of the ride she agreed and asked when we could go again. :)

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s funny! :lol: 

When I bought my Kawasaki Vulcan my wife would go for rides with me. On the first ride she looked a little apprehensive and she was asking me “what if” questions. One of her questions was “what if I fall sleep and fall off?” I told her there was no chance in that as she would be looking at all the sights and that riding bikes isn’t boring. At the end of the ride she agreed and asked when we could go again. :)

My former girlfriend and i would go on rides of hundreds of miles and late into the night sometimes. She would fall asleep! When I would feel her helmet knocking against mine I knew she was asleep.:D

25 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

My former girlfriend and i would go on rides of hundreds of miles and late into the night sometimes. She would fall asleep! When I would feel her helmet knocking against mine I knew she was asleep.:D

My wife would fall asleep all the time, except her head went backwards! The looks from other drivers were precious. For some reason when a person starts sleeping in or on my vehicle  it makes me sleepy even if I can't see them.

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Do you drive with them unlocked?  I do.  One less thing to worry about not working in case of a crash.

Our Nissan Leaf automatically locks the doors once we get to about 25 mph.   I unlock them. About the only time I lock them when driving is at a fast food drive through at night.

Locked.

When the door closes, I lock it.  My last 2 vehicles, if the driver locked his door, all the doors locked.  Prior to that, I kept the other doors locked by default.  If you rode with me, then I unlocked your door and you locked it back when you got out.

I've had people try to open a door on my vehicle on 3 different occasions.  Once right after I got my license (driver's side door downtown in Columbus, GA- I reached under the edge of the seat with my right hand and told him that, where I come from, that was a great way to get shot), once in the '90's in Auburn (a case of a drunk on a beer run mistaking one dark blue car for another at 2 AM) and the most recent was about 12 or 13 years ago in a strip mall parking lot.  The last 2 got really good looks at the business end of a 1911 or a .44 Special revolver.

10 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Snip-it_1635347335011.thumb.jpg.e9a4d88b04271ffe0bd81ab5c7c06d4a.jpg 

Having worked on automobiles nearly all of my life, I can say with some certainty that the locking mechanism in a car door does NOTHING to add to the structural integrity of the latching mechanism.  In most vehicles, it only prevents the door handles from working the latch.  The locking mechanism won’t prevent the door latch from failing in a collision.  It MIGHT keep an occupant from accidentally opening the door or prevent the outside door handle from being snagged, causing the door to open, but ejections rarely are the result of a door opening. In most cases, the occupant leaves the vehicle through a shattered window!

It’s really a matter of choice, so I don’t like my doors locked and I unlock the doors as soon as I hear them lock on the one vehicle I have that locks them automatically.

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Makes almost as much sense as the argument of people that don't wear seatbelts because they are worried they will jam if they are in an accident.

...or that it's better to be thrown clear instead of trapped inside the wreck.

Archived