SASS Wire Forum

12G Black Powder Reloading...????

Rancho Roy

2 hours ago, Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 said:

A lot of great information on this post! I wish I would have had it earlier when I first started loading BP Shotshells.  Since shooting season is pretty much over, give me something to play with and make some adjustments to what I had been loading.

Over?  

image.gif.9c27cbf10504a54184b53f49cad0fe59.gif

Ya know, I think it might be advantageous to state what one's goals are with regards to loads.

My goal is "Style Points"....Lots of smoke, flame and BOOM! I'm not competing for speed when shooting BP....Just having fun!

I'm using an original COLT 1883 coach gun in 10G with "Little Skeeter" 10g to 12g chamber inserts.....For revolvers, Colt Walker and Dragoon, both converted to 45LC cartridge and an original 1873 Winchester in 38-40....Too much fun!

RR, your original post stated you would be using BP subs.  These don't have the flame of real black powder.  The only currently available sub that gives me any flame out the end of the barrel is Shooters World BP sub.  For style points you need real black powder.  APP will just give you a huge cloud of white smoke with lots of white streamers.  Triple Seven will give you a sore shoulder.

@Rancho Roy if you want to have a whole lotta BP fun and get a break from the winter blues c’mon down to Dark Day on the Santa Fe and Darkness Falls.  All kinds of big boom, fire and smoke, enough to melt even Massachusetts snow.  Good folks and good times!

Ahhhh...by all means...but I've gotta save what hearing I have left so I'd pass off the timer...

By the way, how many seconds are deducted for "Style Points"?

Cheers!

Phantom

PS: If I can't compete, I won't have fun. If I don't have fun, I won't compete.

I have loaded 35 grains of FFG for over 15 years and all SG knockdown targets fall. Why someone would want to triple this load is above my pay grade. I am sure the noise knocks as many targets down as the shot. Too each their own I guess.

3 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

RR, your original post stated you would be using BP subs.  These don't have the flame of real black powder.  The only currently available sub that gives me any flame out the end of the barrel is Shooters World BP sub.  For style points you need real black powder.  APP will just give you a huge cloud of white smoke with lots of white streamers.  Triple Seven will give you a sore shoulder.

Well that doesn't make sense because APP makes the Shooters World power.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Well that doesn't make sense because APP makes the Shooters World power.

It isn't exactly the same powder.

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

It isn't exactly the same powder.

Just what exactly is different between Shooter's World Black 3FG and APP 3FG?  Scarlett says SW Black is more like 2.5FG compared to APP 3FG, other than that they are the same. The two load, shoot, and clean up the same.  Same white smoke, haven't seen any flame during the day, but plenty of white smoke.

Pass along what you know, I like both and use SW Black and APP interchangeably, just want to make sure I'm not missing something, fairly new to using BP substitutes.   Thanks pard.

Shooters World BP =APP?

It says right on the can that it is made by APP. I can't imagine they run two manufacturing lines for 2.5F  vs 3F ?

7 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

It says right on the can that it is made by APP. I can't imagine they run two manufacturing lines for 2.5F  vs 3F ?

APP makes several grades of powder. In addition to the Shooters World line and standard APP they have a premium version that is hotter than the standard line. They also market under the Jim Shockey's GOLD label selling loose powder, pellets and sticks geared towards the hunting community.  

I did not see any info on this, in this post, but what kind of shotgun are you using?

By that, I mean is it a modern shotgun, or an old one with perhaps damascus barrels? 

I ask that, because I have an old Parker with damascus barrels, and asking that question is always on my mind. 

I presume it is a modern shotgun, and doesn't have damascus barrels, but then again, I just do not know.

IF anyone is using a shotgun with damascus barrels, never, ever, never, put a star crimp on the shells you will use. Roll crimp, or better yet, no crimp, for older shotguns with damascus barrels. 

This may be a needless warning, since you, like as not, have a modern shotgun, but when shotguns, and black powder are spoken in the same sentence, then that does raise a red flag. 

Archived