SASS Wire Forum

EOT

JohnWesleyHardin

Need some advice friends. 

I am going to EOT with my wife and 16 year old son.  I have been to two EOTs but never Winter Range and  I have never been to Ben Avery or Phoenix for that matter.

I was originally only going to stay for a week and shoot EOT but now have signed up for fire and ice and plan on being there up to two weeks.

What should we do while we are there?

2 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

In-N-Out Burger!

That's funny.  We don't have them in the Midwest and every time we go to Las Vegas we make it a point to go to an in and out burger.  Pretty darn good hamburger.  

There is I&O burger over the Interstate from BASF...

So many things to do...

There are Hot Air Balloon rides, an Amusement park on I-17...

There are interesting places on N 17 with western history...

Camp Verde has some interesting things....

What exactly do you and the kiddo enjoy doing???

Scottsdale's Museum of the West

Heard Museum

Wells Fargo Museum

Cave Creek Museum

If you get good weather in the week between, a day trip to the south rim of Grand Canyon.

Sporting clays, trap, skeet at Ben Avery or Rio Salado clubs, or even down to Tucson for Coyote Creek or Tucson Trap and Skeet.

From Tucson, day trip to Tombstone, Bisbee, and Kartchner Caverns south of Benson.  You can go underground in all three places, if you like looking up at rocks.

(During and) After EOT, baseball spring training is lousy all over Phoenix.  In fact, rooms and RV parks in Phoenix are probably already selling out due to the spring training crowds.

If you are going that long, consider a "house rental."  When it was WR match, I used to do an AirBNB room for myself.  Three times, and never disappointed.  Cheaper than hotels and nicer accommodations.   Never worried that my guns would be stolen.  And could clean guns in the garages, too!

good luck, GJ

32 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Fire and Ice is the weekend before EOT, as you know.  It depends on when you get there.  If you have time before F&I go down to Tombstone.  Always worth a visit, even for a few hours. 

I see it is a three hour drive.  Is it worth it?

it's the meca of cowboy shooting.  a tourist trap for sure,,but that never stopped me from going there.  live in Tucson and still visit Tombstone dozens of times.  it's actually worth to trip to go see the reenactment of the gunfight at the okay corral. you'll be surprised.  wishing you a great trip regardless of where you're staying go. see what you at EOT.

41 minutes ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

Is it (Tombstone) worth it?

If you care about seeing the real locations and several original buildings from the most famous gun fight of the Old West, yes.   If you can't overlook some tourist baloney scattered about town, then it's not.   Even the tour of the Birdcage and the silver mine under town is worth the price of admission to me.

Actual Boot Hill cemetery - TO DIE FOR   :lol:

But unless you want to pop out your eyeballs and let us look through them, it's real hard to tell you if the sights are going to be "worth it" TO YOU.  ;)   It beats sitting in a hotel watching cable or wandering through Phx malls, even gun stores, by a long shot for me.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Just a reminder....

EOT set up starts the Wed before F&I (F&I is WB weekend) I believe....

So, if you want to see what part of getting a match this size set up is all about...drop by, and we could probably find an 'activity' to do!:rolleyes:

Setup starts Wednesday February 23rd, and Monday March 7th is tear-down day. We always appreciate any and all help; a day or two, or an hour or two. There's something for every physical ability to do, and usually cigars and...well...umm...you know what after the tools are put away.

3 hours ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

That's funny.  We don't have them in the Midwest and every time we go to Las Vegas we make it a point to go to an in and out burger.  Pretty darn good hamburger.  

As a midwesterner who has attended Winter Range for years,   I second the in and out burger!!     

If you want something really awesome, they have a sunset trail ride on south mountain. Ride horses to a steakhouse and after dinner you ride back in the dark overlooking phoenix. It is spectacular. The ponderosa ranch on South Mountain.

9 hours ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

I am going to EOT with my wife and 16 year old son.  I have been to two EOTs but never Winter Range and  I have never been to Ben Avery or Phoenix for that matter.

I was originally only going to stay for a week and shoot EOT but now have signed up for fire and ice and plan on being there up to two weeks.

Drive up to Wickenburg and look at the truly  amazing lifesize bronze castings of western figures scattered around their old Town sidewalks.  I guarantee you'll be amazed at the detail.  And if you're into gold detecting, the area east if Morristown is legendary prospecting.  Just a couple ideas.

If you get down S, check out the John Slaughter Ranch, lots of history

https://www.slaughterranch.com/history

and the Copper Queen Mine Tour in Bisbee is good.

https://www.desertusa.com/desert-arizona/copper-queen-mine.html#:~:text=Bisbee is located approximately 90,for current mine tour times.

19 hours ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

I think so.

Sassy and I enjoy Tombstone although it is a "tourist hot spot".  We shoot the two day EOT Warm-up match weekend before EOT and just sort of "mellow out" with friends hanging out a lot at Big Nose Kates on Allen Street.   We've been to Gunfighter Hall of Fame Museum couple of times liking it.  Birdcage is good one too.

The Pioneer History Museum just north of Ben Avery is worth a visit.  Trek over to Mesa and shop Wild West Mercantile for CAS clothes.  Visit local fruit stands for fresh citrus.  EOT will be during the grape fruit harvest.

18 hours ago, MBFields said:

If you want something really awesome, they have a sunset trail ride on south mountain. Ride horses to a steakhouse and after dinner you ride back in the dark overlooking phoenix. It is spectacular. The ponderosa ranch on South Mountain.

Uhm....and yet you didn't suggest this for us???

Well now...minus 5 brownie points to you!!!

On 10/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, JohnWesleyHardin said:

And if you're going to make the trip to Tombstone, at the same time you can visit Ft Huachuca and the museum there plus Cochise's stronghold and Johnny Ringo's grave.  Plus go through Sonoita and see where Tom Horn, Tombstone, 3:10 to Yuma and many other westerns were made. - It will make for a LONG fun day. 

Second the suggestion for Bisbee and Ft Huachuca... but they are a long way South.  Tombstone is VERY kitschy...but still worth a visit... (especially in a group in costume lol) The Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (actually a zoo, natural history museum  and botanical garden) near Tuscon is a favourite of mine...but then I'm a foreigner so everything there is "new" to me.... especially the Rattlesnakes!

13 minutes ago, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

Second the suggestion for Bisbee and Ft Huachuca... but they are a long way South.  Tombstone is VERY kitschy...but still worth a visit... (especially in a group in costume lol) The Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (actually a zoo, natural history museum  and botanical garden) near Tuscon is a favourite of mine...but then I'm a foreigner so everything there is "new" to me.... especially the Rattlesnakes!

I told you...kick the porta-potty before opening the door.

If you hear a rattle, move to the next one!!!:wub:

On 10/26/2021 at 11:47 AM, JohnWesleyHardin said:

JWH, I am going to EOT, as well.  Was nice shooting with you at SE.  Hope to run into you in Phoenix, my friend.  Will be my first EOT.  

3 hours ago, Realtree said:

JWH, I am going to EOT, as well.  Was nice shooting with you at SE.  Hope to run into you in Phoenix, my friend.  Will be my first EOT.  

You will enjoy it.

If anyone needs anything, please come by the Ranger tent and find me...I will head you in the direction you need.

Ok friends, you talked me into to it.

Talked it over with my wife and we are going to drive down to Tombstone and stay 3 days.  Rented a little cabin.  Then going to back to Phoenix, shoot fire and ice, and the on to EOT.  We are going to make a two week vacation out of it.  Sound like a plan?

4 hours ago, Realtree said:

I was so close to a good match down there.  I was shooting slow and under control due to the design of that match.  I though I could speed up a bit and blew one stage; otherwise, I would have placed quite well.  It just felt like I was shooting at a snail's pace.  We had a great posse and hope to shoot with you all again down the road.  

Is Tombstone worth it?

Well...

Tombstone.thumb.jpg.e0f792297e8372bfbedac528a81637e6.jpg

Where else can you stand by a sign that says it's illegal to carry a gun in town while wearing an honest to goodness Buntline Special?

Last time I made a trip out west, I stopped in Tombstone for a couple of hours.   Walked around a bit, had lunch, and got myself photographed.  I also developed a desire to return and spend a day or three there to see it all in detail.   Prolly even dress up a little more if I went back.  :)

Plus, a little checking tells me there's more than a few interesting things in the "modern" part of the city that are worth seeing.  

And I really wanna do a Cowboy Shoot there.   Buntline on the left hip, S&W American on the right.   That'd be "authentically inauthentic."  

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Depends on who you ask.  The Earps would probably say yes.  Johnny Ringo? Maybe not so much. ;)

3 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

You know buddy...I would drive5k miles, just to have you TO me again!!!:wub:

https://youtu.be/6bPvnCSlx6g

We just left Bordertown and LOVED staying in Tombstone. Didn't get to see all we wanted, so we are going back.

Take a nighttime ghost tour after a few drinks at Kate's.

Don't sell Tombstone short. There is much to see. Add an extra day or two to your itinerary. You won't be sorry.

Archived