SASS Wire Forum

Tragic Loss at Bordertown

Kirk James

It is with deepest sorrow that I announce the loss of a young father at Bordertown this weekend. Cole Thornton, aka Rollan’ Cole, lost his life after collapsing early Sunday morning at Bordertown in Tombstone AZ. Cole was only 35 years-old. He is survived by the family he loved: his wife, Amber, aka Rebellious, and their three children. Cole was a board member of the AZ Yavapai Rangers and enjoyed  the competition and SASS community. His outgoing personality and willingness to help anyone will be greatly missed. Please keep the Thornton Family in your prayers.  A Go-Fund-Me account has been set up for the family to help with current and future expenses.          https://gofund.me/5969b165 to the Cole Thornton Memorial.

I’m so sorry.  My heart breaks for his wife, children and friends. His family is in my prayers. Much love and many hugs, Scarlett

Sorry for your loss. 

Does anyone on here personally know the person (Mckenzie Gillies) who organized the gofundme?  I'd like to make a donation, but just want to make sure this person is a friend or family member first. 

Prayers up for Coles family, I remember talking with him and the Rule 1 Cowboys at Bordertown, he will be missed.

21 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Sorry for your loss. 

I don't want to sound callous, but does anyone on here personally know the person (Mckenzie Gillies) who organized the gofundme?  I'd like to make a donation, but with how prevalent scams have been these days I'd just like to verify the legitimacy of the gofundme first. 

I don’t know the organizer of

the Go Fund Me however @Kirk James provided the link so I’m certain that he stands by its legitimacy. 

We lost a man, Brushpopper, at Hell On Wheels this year. He passed away in his motel room on Friday night. Being the match director I felt terrible to lose someone on my watch. 

Sincere condolences to the family and friends.  Prayers outgoing.

23 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Prayers for comfort on the way.

Every range needs an AED. They are NOT expensive and VERY easy to use. 

My prayers are with the family and friends and by all means, help the family thru all venues.

But beware of potential liabilities when adding medical devices to a clubs inventory.

Phantom

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

My prayers are with the family and friends and by all means, help the family thru all venues.

But beware of potential liabilities when adding medical devices to a clubs inventory.

Phantom

Just about every state has a Good Samaritan law that indemnifies aid givers.  

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Enjoy the legal process;)

I’m not going to let fear of a lawsuit stop me from giving a second chance.

The device is simple. Turn on button, two peel and stick pads with a picture of where to stick the pads. The AED does everything else. It analyzes, and shocks automatically if needed, if no shock it gives voice instructions to begin CPR. You see them everywhere now. I can’t imagine a range not wanting one. 

Just now, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I’m not going to let fear of a lawsuit stop me from giving a second chance.

The device is simple. Turn on button, two peel and stick pads with a picture of where to stick the pads. The AED does everything else. It analyzes, and shocks automatically if needed, if no shock it gives voice instructions to begin CPR. You see them everywhere now. I can’t imagine a range not wanting one. 

It's not a personal question; it's a club question.

Cheers!

Phantom

24 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's not a personal question; it's a club question.

Cheers!

Phantom

Like I said they’re everywhere. Churches, restaurants, schools, you name it. Fear of liability is just not credible reason a range shouldn’t have one. Would a club not want a trauma kit at their range? The device is as simple as applying a dressing. 

PS I also think a modern tourniquet should be on every bay. 

2 hours ago, July Smith said:

Sorry for your loss. 

I don't want to sound callous, but does anyone on here personally know the person (Mckenzie Gillies) who organized the gofundme?  I'd like to make a donation, but with how prevalent scams have been these days I'd just like to verify the legitimacy of the gofundme first. 

I believe it was started by a friend of the couple. His pards  are the people sharing it. He was on Posse 12 with us.  He was the tall guy in the back. 

F65230E3-4C83-4FDC-8AF7-F1B2AD24E6F5.jpeg

Please keep the thread about Cole.  No scam; friend of family.  Cole is a great friend and family will need help. Appreciate your concern. 

Please accept my apology for mentioning the need for AED’s. They are a real life saving device and I feel strongly about them. I should have started a new post.

My condolences on the loss of your friend. 

JB

Mckenzie Gilles is Amber's closest friend. No scams are going on (jeez). Please, please no posts about aed's or range equipment or other discussion! A young father, Husband, Son, Cowboy Action Shooter, RC airplane competitor and one Helluva friend is gone.

Pic of Cole, Amber and Woody taken Friday afternoon in camp at Border Town 2021.

IMG_6780.JPG

On 10/25/2021 at 10:05 PM, Kirk James said:

It is with deepest sorrow that I announce the loss of a young father at Bordertown this weekend. Cole Thornton, aka Rollan’ Cole, lost his life after collapsing early Sunday morning at Bordertown in Tombstone AZ. Cole was only 35 years-old. He is survived by the family he loved: his wife, Amber, aka Rebellious, and their three children. Cole was a board member of the AZ Yavapai Rangers and enjoyed  the competition and SASS community. His outgoing personality and willingness to help anyone will be greatly missed. Please keep the Thornton Family in your prayers.  A Go-Fund-Me account has been set up for the family to help with current and future expenses.          https://gofund.me/5969b165 to the Cole Thornton Memorial.

When I saw this posted on social media I thought this was a horrible joke. I had never met Cole or Amber in person however Cole had me build him a rig a while back and spoke several times on the phone. What a great young man he was and I looked forward to meeting him someday. From what I gathered from posts on social media and his friends he really knew how to live life and was a great father as well. The selfish side of me is sad that I didn’t get to meet him in person however I know his shooting friends and I know he was in great company! 
My thoughts and prayers are for all who knew him and may Gods healing arms be wrapped around them all. 

Colt Faro 

Archived