SASS Wire Forum

An Electric Taxi

The folks in northern Kaliforny found out real quick. The power was shut off early because of the fires, so there was no way to charge their Teslas they just watched them burn.

Also the Nazis had developed synthetic oil and gasoline during WW2.  The story goes that Standard oil bought the formula near the end of the war and locked it up. They also had a wood burning vw type vehicle in use towards the end of the war. It had a burn box up front and piped smoldering wood vapors to the rear engine.

Just some interesting thoughts, Pards

YEs, SDJ, I agree that some EV's have their place/use in todays technological world, and hopefully will take over when things are right for them.

As for Greta, that child ain't right!!  How dare She lecture anyone while she traveled, all expenses paid, in a multi-million dollar yacht.

7 hours ago, T.K. said:

The power was shut off early because of the fires, so there was no way to charge their Teslas they just watched them burn.

WOW!  You mean they are no different than the people who were going to gas up their F-250 "next time I go out" and couldn't because gas stations can pump without electricity?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

WOW!  You mean they are no different than the people who were going to gas up their F-250 "next time I go out" and couldn't because gas stations can pump without electricity?

I’ve got cans of gas. I can siphon from one vehicle to fuel another. 

Even when the power’s out, gravity is still pretty reliable. 

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I’ve got cans of gas. I can siphon from one vehicle to fuel another. 

Even when the power’s out, gravity is still pretty reliable. 

Ah!  So that's why so many ICE vehicles burned up because they couldn't pump gas!  

Does EVERYBODY have "
cans of gas. I can siphon from one vehicle to fuel another. "?  In GENERAL people don't.  So IN GENERAL " they are no different than the people who were going to gas up their F-250 "next time I go out" and couldn't because gas stations can pump without electricity"  Again (and again and again and again) I'm NOT...N....O....T....saying or implying that EVs are the answer to everything, but they are not the evil incarnate that so many people are making they out to be.  

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Not a problem with the F-150 and it's 7.2kw onboard generator.  Flip the breakers for the fridge/freezers and power up the station.  The fuel canopy would be a good place to mount solar panels for the Silverados and Rams to gas up when the sun is shining.  

Agreed, EVs have a place, my driveway isn't it.  They're probably great for big cities where they use freeways as rush hour parking lots.

Ah!  So that's why so many ICE vehicles burned up because they couldn't pump gas!  

Does EVERYBODY have "
cans of gas. I can siphon from one vehicle to fuel another. "?  In GENERAL people don't.  So IN GENERAL " they are no different than the people who were going to gas up their F-250 "next time I go out" and couldn't because gas stations can pump without electricity"  Again (and again and again and again) I'm NOT...N....O....T....saying or implying that EVs are the answer to everything, but they are not the evil incarnate that so many people are making they out to be.  

NO! SDJ, the EVs are not evil! They’re fine for those who want, can use, and can afford them. The “evil incarnate” are those people, politicians, corporate entities, and organizations that demand and have manipulated industries and regulations to try to force everyone else to “Have to” buy their products or their preferences.

Lyin’ Joe, (aka Walter) and the miscreants that control him have attacked the petroleum industry through regulation, taxation, and buy outright preventing them from doing business or improving/completing infrastructure projects. They ignore/hide/just plain lie about the major environmental impact of the production and disposal aspects of the EV power source, (batteries) and hide the facts and the costs of creating the infrastructure needed to support an all EV transportation system!  

And where are the media and all of these “green new deal” environmentalists when it comes to that NASTY part about the acquisition of raw materials, the need for fossil fuels to provide transportation and to manufacture, and the lack of ANY plan for disposal/recycling of the depleted/defective batteries or the recovery of the land/mines laid waste in their endeavor?  That doesn’t even begin to address the human factor illustrated in the meme offered earlier in this discussion!

Again! I don’t have a problem with the product itself!  I DO have a problem with the problems surrounding it and ESPECIALLY with those who try to portray EVs as environmentally clean and economically advantageous to everyone, and EVEN MORE ESPECIALLY those who are lying about them and trying to ram them down my throat!!

As far as the IC vehicles being out of fuel, if you keep the tank at least half full, you don’t have the problem!  If you sit around and wait while “Rome is burning” and don’t prepare for those eventualities that are liable to arise…

19 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Does EVERYBODY have "

Ah, the ever-shifting hypotheticals and 'whuddabouts' of online discussions.

ICE vehicles burned up because unprepared owners couldn't get gas. EVs would have burned up because unprepared owners couldn't charge them. Or (to tie in another aspect of EVs) because thrifty owners left them discharged while waiting to charge during off-peak times. 

On another aspect, many ICE vehicles burned up because the owners couldn't get gas for a secondary vehicle and piled into one vehicle to make their escape, leaving the unfueled (or with siphoning -- the defueled) vehicle behind.

And on yet another aspect -- at least the burned-out ICE vehicles didn't subject the environment to the toxicity of burning batteries and the disposal of the incinerated battery packs.

Of course everyone doesn't have cans of gas on hand. Nor can everyone draw a siphon. But it's far more likely an ICE vehicle owner will be able to recover from his shortsightedness than an EV owner. It's more likely someone will have a can of fuel for their ICE than an EV owner will have fuel, and a generator, and TIME to recharge the vehicle for evacuation. And if the evacuee vehicle does get underway and is forced to refuel later, an ICE vehicle can be rescued from the side of the road by Bubba with a pickup and a gas can. Not so with the EV. An anecdotal example:

A few years back, a friend joined the masses who evacuated the Florida coast ahead of Hurricane Irma. Due to the number of people evacuating, the routes, and the unfolding of circumstances she couldn't control, she wound up having to refuel three times before she was able to finally stop, and her experience was not unique among the people who evacuated. Had she had an EV, and had there been a significant number of other EVs on the road, it would have made for a much-less pleasant experience for her, and thousands others.

I have not (NOT N..O..T.. whatever) said EVs are evil. Nor have I said there is no niche for them; there are plenty of people whose transportation requirements indicate EVs would be a good fit for them. My initial comment -- which you seem to have taken as indictment of EVs in general -- had almost nothing to do with the efficacy of EVs, rather it addressed the government's short-sighted and heavy-handed efforts at imposing them. 

2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

My initial comment -- which you seem to have taken as indictment of EVs in general --

Which I did not quote or mention.  To use a line penned by Herbert, "I display a general garment and you say it is cut to fit."  It wasn't until you said I was misconstruing what YOU said that I started quoting you.

Ah, the ever-shifting hypotheticals and 'whuddabouts' of online discussions.

Yep.  Ever-changing goal posts designed to show how EVs can't fit every niche and so are useless.  "Well, they can't tow my 10,000 pound trailer uphill for 1,000 miles on one charge."  Or "Well, they burned because the owners couldn't charge them!"  Stupid people do stupid things, like not topping off if it looks like you may have to evacuate soon.  Even owners of ICE vehicles. Notice that every year we are treated to news stories about people trying to get out of a city in the path of a hurricane but can't because there is no power for gas pumps and their cars are on empty?   We don't see in those stories people offering to let people siphon gas from their cars, do we?  Or can't get out of town when a fire evac order is issued?   I can just see, as flames are roaring down the hill 100 yards away, someone stopping to let a stranger siphon gas from his car so the other person can drive away. 

I have not (NOT N..O..T.. whatever) said EVs are evil. Nor have I said there is no niche for them; there are plenty of people whose transportation requirements indicate EVs would be a good fit for them. 

Just strongly implied that because they can't fill every need they are useless.

had almost nothing to do with the efficacy of EVs, rather it addressed the government's short-sighted and heavy-handed efforts at imposing them. 

Transference.  You hate what the Lysenkoists are doing so transfer your hate to the object.  If you bother to read, I agree with.  I also object to the Lysenkoists mandating all electric appliances.   But I don't go off on how electric stoves are bad because they can't fill every niche.  I agree that EVs are not the panacea that will bring about cures for all the ills of humanity as the Lysenkoists and Stalinists claim.  I just don't understand the exploding heads every time they are mentioned.  

Just strongly implied that because they can't fill every need they are useless.

Please show me where I implied that. 

It wasn't until you said I was misconstruing what YOU said that I started quoting you.

You have quoted every comment I’ve made, the first two of which made no claim that you were misconstruing anything. 

I can just see, as flames are roaring down the hill 100 yards away, someone stopping to let a stranger siphon gas from his car so the other person can drive away. 

Patently absurd extreme example. The life-or-death dash from oncoming fire is the exception. Most evacuations are deliberate. And neighbors helping neighbors with gas when they can goes relatively unreported because it is nowhere near as newsworthy as a burned-out car. 

You hate what the Lysenkoists are doing so transfer your hate to the object. 

If that’s not a clear example of either not reading or misconstrual, then none exists. 

Archived